La Tailor Girl v1.89 Plain Black [updated march 18 2023]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rhiannon
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: La Tailor Girl v1.40 [baa]

Post by Rhiannon »

Greatly enjoying the mod, you've really created something fresh and interesting here, well done! Finally I can achieve my dream of killing demons while wearing various cute outfits, at least vicariously.

I did manage to find this update's secret upgrade, although unfortunately it seems that its max armor values are a bit strange; after a certain amount I can no longer pick up small scraps but I'm still able to pick up scrap boxes, and can continue to pick them up even at max armor, which seems to just be wasting them. Also, I appreciate the HUD changes, being able to move my ammo counts around and having a label for my HP are both very nice things, although it seems that the HUD no longer undergoes aspect correction, leading to Daina looking rather short compared to previous versions, in addition to all the other elements feeling kinda vertically squished.

Otherwise I love the update! I'm eager to see what new content and changes are in store for the future.
Catarne

Post by Catarne »

This is a great update, loving the sheep outfit~
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

ever so slight oversight with the new sewing kit and material bundle limits. seems that part of the hud is drawing it twice, with the new limit being drawn over the original whenever the normal hud is drawn. only stands out once you've swapped between the automap overlay and back, but once seen it's never unseen: https://i.imgur.com/kD7LmSY.png
Regios

Post by Regios »

Hege, you absolute madman, you! Your secret outfit upgrade made my day!

One thing of note, however, is that certain weapons don't seem to show enchantment sparkles when wearing certain outfits, despite those outfits making them do something different. It seems to happen more often with the upgraded ones.
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

Weird everybody else have found the secret armor but I haven't... I am going to Tenements next in the Maps of Chaos OverKill version soon and I am also using the Colourfull hell mod. There must be something seriously wrong in what I do or because I am using wrong map pack.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Good job with the HUD, looks great!
New HUD is great.
Glad to know the hud is working as intended
Cozy and Wooly update there- Also those are some good and nice changes.
yas
New HUD is great. However after running playing through Maps of Chaos once. I still haven't found the secret armor upgrade. I then decided to go through some item codes and started to question that did you accidentally give the thing very weirdly low chance to appear or is it there to begin with? Just wondering because one of those can happen to any mod creator. Won't blame you if it is the latter.
The Sheep is a rare outfit so yes its rarely spawning.
Also, i did discover a bug, but its a bug taht you would NEVER experience during normal gameplay, so no need to patch it out unless you decide to add direct Give commands to the outfit. Trying to give or summon these outfit tokens as its called, and then take anotehr clothing that was on the level, you get 2 outfit images overflapping eachother ( i think thats the right word?). I dont know the rest of the effects, but i imagen things could go wonky.

That does give me an idea. Maybe it be cool if there was an ability for you to combine 2 different outfits to create a unique outfit with either combined special abilities, or a unique one, like maybe combining Fire Bikini with the Wedding dress to make it like, scorched and the rose peddles have flames on them, causing fire damage.

I dunno just some ideas really, but i imagen that this could be alot of programming to do, but i truly admire your hard work on this mod regardless. Keep the good work and keep suprise us with updates when you can!
It's not really a bug when its the core mechanic of the mod. :V
Player should never ever be able to have multiple clothing tokens cause that messes things up.

The combination idea sounds fun but it would be bit too much work to implement really cause the combination amount for outfits would be gigantic, tho some combinations could work as rare armors maybe.
Greatly enjoying the mod, you've really created something fresh and interesting here, well done! Finally I can achieve my dream of killing demons while wearing various cute outfits, at least vicariously.

I did manage to find this update's secret upgrade, although unfortunately it seems that its max armor values are a bit strange; after a certain amount I can no longer pick up small scraps but I'm still able to pick up scrap boxes, and can continue to pick them up even at max armor, which seems to just be wasting them. Also, I appreciate the HUD changes, being able to move my ammo counts around and having a label for my HP are both very nice things, although it seems that the HUD no longer undergoes aspect correction, leading to Daina looking rather short compared to previous versions, in addition to all the other elements feeling kinda vertically squished.

Otherwise I love the update! I'm eager to see what new content and changes are in store for the future.
Glad to know you like it! The armor durability is bit harsh when it goes above 999, can't do much about that.
This is a great update, loving the sheep outfit~
baa
ever so slight oversight with the new sewing kit and material bundle limits. seems that part of the hud is drawing it twice, with the new limit being drawn over the original whenever the normal hud is drawn. only stands out once you've swapped between the automap overlay and back, but once seen it's never unseen: https://i.imgur.com/kD7LmSY.png
Oops thats an oversight, inventory shouldn't really show on the automap anyway apart from keys.
Hege, you absolute madman, you! Your secret outfit upgrade made my day!

One thing of note, however, is that certain weapons don't seem to show enchantment sparkles when wearing certain outfits, despite those outfits making them do something different. It seems to happen more often with the upgraded ones.
Kinda intentional for upgraded ones, cause, well, what are you gonna expect when upgrading? less effects? =P

If there's non upgraded outfits that dont sparkle, thats non intentional tho.
Weird everybody else have found the secret armor but I haven't... I am going to Tenements next in the Maps of Chaos OverKill version soon and I am also using the Colourfull hell mod. There must be something seriously wrong in what I do or because I am using wrong map pack.
You'll know it when you see it

So some screenies on up coming features;
Spoiler:
Sasha_The_Lynx
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sasha_The_Lynx »

Hege Cactus wrote: It's not really a bug when its the core mechanic of the mod. :V
Player should never ever be able to have multiple clothing tokens cause that messes things up.

The combination idea sounds fun but it would be bit too much work to implement really cause the combination amount for outfits would be gigantic, tho some combinations could work as rare armors maybe.

So some screenies on up coming features;
Spoiler:
Oh absolutly, its just how the mod works and all. Its sorta is like, i dunno, using noclip into a scenery that inst supposed to be for the player. I just thought it was an interesting little quirk.
But yeah, every single clothing would be way to big of a task for sure for combination, so i definlty recommend that you, if you want to try this combination thing, is to stick with only a couple, wich outfits thats gonna be but hey, it be a pretty awesome suprise.

Also that PDA looks really neat and convinient, defintly something im looking forward too, and the new outfit looks great, always nice with more outfits to find! ovo

EDIT: Made some quick edit as i saw a word that was missing, or it would probably be a little confusing, my bad ^^
Last edited by Sasha_The_Lynx on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

So wait this secret outfit is the sheep outfit? If that is the case... Either I need to get more English lessons or accidental mistake in grammar... Either way... I probably could have spend that time searching very carefully some other way... Thing is that the thought I got from other people's writing is that there is another completely new outfit that I need to find and that the sheep outfit is just another addition. I am not blaming you or any of you but... I am just going to dip my head in the snow outside so I can cool off by a woman who has arctic outfit on. I get the feeling that there is something seriously bad about what I typed.

If the sheep outfit is not the secret outfit... I think you probably have set the chance for it to spawn somewhere like 0.0000001% chance to appear. While I do appreciate RNG... I probably already have mentioned that I play Warframe... So... RNG is not the most best friend I have to be honest and don't start with the 'RNG wasn't created to be nice' I know but it would be nice if everything wasn't depending on roll of the dice all the time. Suburbs already taught me that RNG is the thing that is going say eff you. I am going to do everything in my power to kill you. By spawning black imp, black caco, black pain elemental AND Belenus. I managed to complete the level but... OH BOY... Was it painful...
Disconected

Post by Disconected »

And now we will get rabbits to eat all those carrots.
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

Apteral10 wrote:So wait this secret outfit is the sheep outfit? If that is the case... Either I need to get more English lessons or accidental mistake in grammar... Either way... I probably could have spend that time searching very carefully some other way... Thing is that the thought I got from other people's writing is that there is another completely new outfit that I need to find and that the sheep outfit is just another addition. I am not blaming you or any of you but... I am just going to dip my head in the snow outside so I can cool off by a woman who has arctic outfit on. I get the feeling that there is something seriously bad about what I typed.

If the sheep outfit is not the secret outfit... I think you probably have set the chance for it to spawn somewhere like 0.0000001% chance to appear.
no, the sheep's clothing is not the secret. it seems to be near wedding dress spawn probability, so it spawns, but you won't get many throughout a megawad. for the "secret" outfit, just mash two of an outfit that you haven't seen an upgrade for yet. you'll know when you find it.
Hege Cactus wrote:

Glad to know you like it! The armor durability is bit harsh when it goes above 999, can't do much about that.
assuming we're all talking about the same upgrade here, 300 with spare scraps and up to 500 with bundles. i've gotten it to overflow slightly over 500 before, but past that is where it just starts eating cloth bundles for seemingly nothing in return.
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

Fallingferret wrote:
Apteral10 wrote:So wait this secret outfit is the sheep outfit? If that is the case... Either I need to get more English lessons or accidental mistake in grammar... Either way... I probably could have spend that time searching very carefully some other way... Thing is that the thought I got from other people's writing is that there is another completely new outfit that I need to find and that the sheep outfit is just another addition. I am not blaming you or any of you but... I am just going to dip my head in the snow outside so I can cool off by a woman who has arctic outfit on. I get the feeling that there is something seriously bad about what I typed.

If the sheep outfit is not the secret outfit... I think you probably have set the chance for it to spawn somewhere like 0.0000001% chance to appear.
no, the sheep's clothing is not the secret. it seems to be near wedding dress spawn probability, so it spawns, but you won't get many throughout a megawad. for the "secret" outfit, just mash two of an outfit that you haven't seen an upgrade for yet. you'll know when you find it.
I tried finding upgrades once through item summoning... I guess I will do that again then. Thank you for the hint. I will get to it once I feel like it. Relatively soon I will do that though. Either you guys are completely LYING or for some reason there is some kind of BUG in my pk3. 11 outfits I have tested do not have upgrades and 7 I know having an upgrade but there aren't 3rd stage. I strongly believe that there must be something broken in the Pk3 file I have but I have the small dark thought that I have been lied to because this is internet.
Rhiannon
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Rhiannon »

Fallingferret wrote:
Hege Cactus wrote:

assuming we're all talking about the same upgrade here, 300 with spare scraps and up to 500 with bundles. i've gotten it to overflow slightly over 500 before, but past that is where it just starts eating cloth bundles for seemingly nothing in return.
Yeah, I didn't wanna give much away so as not to spoil the outfit, but you've got the right one and you're correct on those values. You can be entirely full on cloth and running over a bundle will act like you're collecting it, but you don't need it because you're full, so it just gets deleted.

Also, upon further playtime, it seems that the plasma rifle replacement's primary fire while in this outfit hard crashes the game? I don't even get the GZDoom crash reporter window, the game just closes.
Sasha_The_Lynx
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sasha_The_Lynx »

Rezulux wrote: Also, upon further playtime, it seems that the plasma rifle replacement's primary fire while in this outfit hard crashes the game? I don't even get the GZDoom crash reporter window, the game just closes.
Even GZDoom wants to keep this outfit a secret! But really thats strange how GZDoom isnt even saying anything and just, closes down. Does the sourceport write atleast some logs or something? I Know some games and ports usualy do that. If so, maybe it has some clue?
Lord_Greyscale

Post by Lord_Greyscale »

Hiyo, commenting with a few notes from my limited playthrough of version 1.34 of this wad, and Colorfull Hell, and Valiant.
(yes, I know that's an older version, didn't have internet for a week or so, was stuck with that one)
(allso, I know a few oddities aren't the fault of the mod, it's Valiant causing a few problems, notably with the weapons Valiant uses taking priority, so I had to summon the correct ones manually)

So, first up, very different mod from what I usually play, but that's good.

Next, the "generic" clothes. (maid, bunnygirl, even the nurse sometimes, and I'm ignoring the starter and it's upgrade

Maid:
I've yet to get a roomba spawn whilst using the maid outfit, is it limited to melee, or was the spawn-chance for roombas simply bugged in 1.34?
Either way, decent armor value, and the other bonuses are nice.
I'm dissapointed with myself for not remembering what weapons it really boosted, but it's a reliable standby while I try to find the armors I like.

Bunnygirl:
Again, decent armor value, but that carrot chance is both absurdly high for a "may carrot" description, and very, very deadly.
(each carrot seems to be about the strength of 3~4 pistol shots, or roughly one shotgun blast)
I was expecting maybe every third shot at best, not practically every shot!
(this might be just me having been accustomed to JRPGs, where "may" often meant "never", unless RNG is particularly nice)

Nurse:
Hoo-ee, that gas attack is absurdly usefull. (well, in combination with other weapons anyway)
Great for locking-down the meanest enemy in a growing mob, and allowing you the breathing room to slag the small-fry.
(or even just to pick-off a distant chaingunner with the gun-version of it.)
The over-healing is right up my alley too, since I normally use a mod that adds in that level of up-armoring.

Next, the un-common ones. (flame bikini, pink sling-bikini, schoolgirl)

Schoolgirl:
Somewhat Meh overall. The Throwing-Toast is cute, but not as lethal as I'd been expecting.
That one gun's mod though, that's glorious. (oddly, I can't recall what gun it was. I'd thought it was the smart rocket, but on further thought I'm thinking the plasma rifle)
The alt-melee is pretty good too.

Flame Bikini: (and it's upgrade)
Interesting, mostly for the melee changes than anything else. (only a very few weapons noticably buffed, and the ice-gun understandably weakened/unaffected)
Being able to hurl fire like the frikkin' Imps do is so much fun, though the sound effect could really use some work.

Pink Sling-Bikini: (and it's even skimpier upgrade)
Holy Crap! this is an absolute Monster of an enhancement. Massive, massive murder potential, even with just the pistol.
(but trumped on that item by at least one armor)
Well played with the weakness too, I get killed by shotgunners and chaingunners more than anything else, because I can't dodge those.
(and when I can't dodge the everything else, a revenant is usually what gets me.)

Up next, the really rare armors.

Succubus: (and again, the upgrade too)
Impressive melee attack, and the hover gimmick has saved my arse on multiple occasions, since I usually play with falling damage on.
(allso neat for avoiding poisonous floors, somewhat)
The "heart" gimmick on most of the weapons is at least visually interesting, even if I can't figure out if its actually doing anything.
(aside from the one that is obviously healing me, and the freeze-gun's heart being a multi-part projectile)
The upgrade is even better, and while I still cant really tell if the hearts are doing anything beyond "more damage", I can at least notice the greater damage.
The "clouds" from a Diana blast are good too, just the extra "oomph" needed to off the stragglers or extra-hardy enemies in the area.
(despite how usefull this armor is, I did not do exhaustive testing, as I found it very early, and lost it fairly soon after.)

Kamui:
A berserker-pack that is actually worth getting? Awesome! (I'm not even joking, the standard Doom/Doom-II berserk is crap, unless you really need the health)
I rather like how it functions overall, but the complete removal of whatever armor I had is fairly annoying, especially if the Kamui craps out in the middle of whatever brawl I was wearing it for.
Mostly usefull in conjunction with Save Game, since I really need to know when its worth using, versus keeping my current armor.
Allso, extra annoying when an enemy drops one in the middle of a heated brawl, and I don't notice it in time to avoid picking it up.
Sure, it ends the brawl in my favor, but then I have to find new armor.

Wedding Dress:
I don't think I've ever found this one in the wild, but I've made it fairly regularly with the sewing kit.
Remarkably usefull thanks to the ring, hijacking the strongest enemy in an ambush is ludicrously usefull, and Colorfull Hell combines wonderfully by simply giving more strong monsters to choose from.
(catching a white zombie is nearly over-powered, and that one purple archvile was just outstanding)
The flower bouquet is, odd. I was actually expecting that to be another monster hijacker, but instead its a 360 degree weak-attack? Still usefull.
(after some thought just now, I was wondering if it was supposed to be healing the "groom", but I never thought to test it.
EDIT: I forgot the ice-cream-cake monster. That thing is cute, but either not hardy enough or not fast enough.
And without being able to pick it up to move it, becomes easily wasted if it didn't end up in a good position to block enemy fire.

The Maxxed out MMO armor: Found it once as an on-map spawn, usually I find it as a drop from Imps or Revenants.
Nearly as strong as I was hoping it would be, given the name and description, and the melee replacement is surprisingly good.
Really, the only complaint I have is the whole "not repairable" gimmick, but why would I ever use any of the other non-situational armors if I could repair it?

Secretary: (I actually found this one once, and have never managed to make it)
Interesting, automatic computer-map and enemy map.
But I only barely looked at it before going back to the next one in the list. (I died and didn't pick it up in the re-load)

The Zero Suit:
Jeezus, this is power incarnate.
Well, for the pistol and the melee anyway. (and the alt-melee dash-jump is nice too, it has helped me sequence break up onto a few crates, and "cheat" my way out of a painfull acid death a few times.)
(not using ammo for the pistol is an extra bonus, but I'm wondering if that isn't making it too strong.)
I've only managed to craft this one, and only the once, but dear god, I've gone though an entire megawad with just this armor.
Great for dealing with "surprise 20 revenant buttsex in a cramped room" problems, since the pistol fires rapidly enough to stun-lock most of them, and has splash damage so it really is "most of 'em"

And now, the Situational. (more so than even the Kamui)

Electro armor: (sorry I forgot the name, that's just a sign of how little I use it)
I'll admit, it really, really makes the Generic Pulse Rifle and the Electro-gun into demolishers of demons, but it's low-ish hitpoints and very mediocre everything else are what makes it situational. (given how the shotgun has been reworked, shouldn't it be boosting that too?turns out it does, and I just forgot. presumably the Diana, but I've never actually used that with this armor)
I end up only picking it if whatever armor I have is less than 50 points left, I have a near-full stockpile of energy and pistol ammo, and it "feels" like a mob-fight is coming up. (or, if I've managed to use up all the other armors in the level, and still have enemies left that could otherwise kill me.)

Swimsuit:
Surprisingly annoying, and underwhelming. Better than scraps at least.
Yes, the water boost is/can-be strong, but with so few maps in most of the megawads I play containing traversable water, it ends up just "weak" for a rare.
(it doesn't seem to cause the boost while on Lava or Green Acid. Or, for that matter, on the far more common Blood or Brown Water.)
The other problem is what it does to the Generic pulse Rifle, that "squirt-gun" stream effect is a neutering of an otherwise good weapon.
Yes, I've tried it on water, and while the damage shot right up, the simple fact of how the shot-type had been changes was still screwing me over. (if it had caused pain-locking, then I would like it more)

Ninja outfit:
Very, very fun, and that's mostly from the throwing stars. (the melee replacing ones, the weapon ones feel like a letdown for some reason, even though they're far more powerfull)
The "turn invisible when hit" mechanic is, iffy, for me. It works, never doubt that, it just doesn't last for quite long enough for my likeing/playstyle.
(if it did, it would probably be overpowered, even with it only activating when you take damage)
But, due mostly to it's defensive gimmik not feeling strong enough, it tends to be one of my "lesser" picks.

The Radsuit:
Blech, I understand where you were going with this one, but in doing so, you've managed to do a Weird.
The "place barrel" is somewhat interesting, but it ends up killing me more often than it helps, and it takes far too long to reload.
If it boosted any of the weapons, I'm sad to say I didn't notice.
I'd honestly rather have this one back as a powerup.
Or, if you're comitted to it being an armor, then it seems the best candidate for "blending" instead of stand-aloneing or straight upgrading.
(perhaps you allready have, I did mention I was using a slightly older version)
EDIT: caught up in the thread, certainly seems your're doing something different, hope it's good.

The Tech Suit: (only found it once, and I think that's more due to the overall rarity of the infrared goggles in "modern" megawads than anything else)
Neat gimmik, but that was basically all it seemed to have. I didn't notice anything special with the weapons The grenade alt-fire on the pulse rifle was great, I just barely used it due to the maps I was on not really allowing it to shine, and I was entirely uninterested in checking the melee-knife given what I knew I'd be fighting when I found it. (yet another 20 revenant horde)
Another possile candidate for "blending" with the other armors, or even just as a level-long upgrade to the player instead of a "permenant" upgrade to the armor.

Overall, very fun mod it just has elements that are either naturally underwhelming (I'm noticing a lot of this feeling for the swimsuit) or mostly incompatible with my preferred playstyle. (damage sponge, if that helps you understand some of my criticism better)
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

I wonder what kind of update Hege Cactus has for us next time. I am interested to be said.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”