Operation Body Count - Version 1.0 Release!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Cherno

Re: Operation Body Count [Beta Release - Testers Wanted]

Post by Cherno »

+10 points for using music from Hired Guns, one of my favourite games :wub:

As a break between running and gunning, I would love to see a section based on Operation Thunderbolt, where you just sit back while the vehicle drives automatically and you just have to turn and aim at the enemies popping up (I remember the Amiga version where terrorists where landing straight ontop of the car's hood only to be shot immediately... Quite realistic :3:
Maybe as a bonus round :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

shadstarn wrote: sugestions:
- crouch so i can crouch more tactical
I might implement that, since I can't remember why I took it out. Probably cos there's no crouch sprite for the player and I didn't wanna have to make one...

Also no hard feelings.
Cherno wrote:A possible add-on/mod or expansion that came to my mind was an adaption of Persion Gulf Inferno/North Sea Inferno where you run around an Oil Rig taken over by (arab or iranian) terrorists and you have to search for hostages and defused a bomb. Optional objectives are searching for door charges to blow up locked doors as well as visiting a doctor to treat your wounds.
It would be cool to have an add-on centered around that, but the second mission is based on Persian Gulf Inferno right down to the name. BAsically every mission is based on another game about terrorism, because the idea of multiple levels in the UN building was just too boring to pursue. So now the mod is kind of a tribute to a ton of shit from the Amiga era.
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:Just completed the BETA, here are my opinion on what should be changed etc.:
Spoiler:
Other than that, I can't say anything else. This is a very good remake of a shitty game, that may not last 40 levels, but the levels in their right are huge and try to vary it up, that it doesn't matter. This is pretty much ''Twilight Warrior 2: Operation Body Count'', which I still enjoy, even though it had some rough edges, but your mods are really good.
I feel bad for you, that you are so underrated, but since the Doom community is so big, it's atleast good, if even few people follow your work and encourage you, there's always a reason to create what you desire.
Thanks for the feedback and support man, greatly appreciated.

I almost remade a Twilight Warrior mission for this, but I realized several missions were already kind of tributes to it, like the airport level and the desert base mission where you destroy shipments in barrels. Of course Twilight Warrior was pushing for realism and I'm going for badass pulp silliness.

I'll alter the railgun ammo as you suggested. I've always been a little iffy about including it to begin with, but it's the best sniping weapon, so I guess it oughta stay. I'll probably adjust the other stuff too.

EDIT: Actually I did try to alter the max shotgun ammo because the AK basically replaces it, mainly so the ammo counter would show up on the stat bar accurately. But nothing I did actually changed the default max for the shells, so I'm not sure I can do the same with rockets, unless somebody knows how to change the default ammo types' maximums. Did everything I could in decorate and the max was always 50 (and maybe it should be, considering how much damage the AK does?) I would have to make a new ammo type, but then it doesn't show up on the status bar.

EDIT2: Also which missions had too little ammo? I'll need specifics.
Mooney wrote:The mod is great so far!

I had a crack at doing the same thing a few years ago but lost interest.
I think I might've seen that back in the day, come to think of it. Were you the one who also made the OBC weapon mod a couple years ago? Or was that unrelated?
Mooney wrote: The wolf 3d style white suicide bombers look great, very clean sprites.
But combined with the obc stuff (which is a little messier and a bit more doom based) it looks a little 'frankenspritey'
Yeah, it's tough to make a sprite that works. The unaltered bomber sprite LOOKS like a clay dude, and doesn't match. The new one is brightly colored compared to the others, but at least matches the guy on the intermission screen. One option was to do what you did and use an OBC sprite, but then he becomes too tough to distinguish from the regular mooks, and I wanted these guys to stand out so they can't cheap-kill the player while they're trying to figure out who's who.
Korell wrote:On the fourth mission, Desert Strike, some of the doors don't seem to make the door opening sound effect unless you are right up against them, or they only make sound from one side. Could some aspect of the map be blocking the sound from one side of the door or something?
As a matter of fact, yeah. It's because of my use of portals in a limited space: if you're on the wrong side of the portal when the door opens, you don't hear the noise. It's an unfortunate side-effect of using portals the way i did with the space constraints I used them in. They work better in some areas than others in that regards. I could make the doorways longer so you always hear the noise, but the buildings would be distorted in a weird way to compensate.
Korell wrote:Then the other one is really just a typo rather than a bug. Mission five's briefing has "kidnapping" with only one p. It's the following line: obcfull.pk3/obcmaps.wad/MAP05->SCRIPTS line 39.
I'm pretty sure you can spell it with 1 p or 2, but I might be remembering wrong, and it might be an archaic spelling I used to save text space. Come to think of it, there's probably plenty of space for the double-p so I may as well use that.
Korell wrote:EDIT: Just an idea. Would it be possible to have an objectives key set up that displays the objectives for the current mission? And maybe even tick them off as and when they are completed?
lol I'd have to have a better decorate coder than myself for that. In most cases, though, you only NEED to accomplish one of them to exit the mission, and the rest go toward the item count (rescuing hostages, turning on the runway lights, etc) for people who want 100% completion. And often some objectives you'll end up clearing in order to clear the main one, like any bosses you have to kill to get keys. So I never saw much need to keep track of them.
shadstarn wrote: again i am iranian/persian and we are opperesed still after houndreds of years by islamic extremists ... people are beign executed everyday there the way no one else knows.. also we are like the jews to nazis as we are iranins to radical extremists
I'm with this, too. The folks in the middle east are just like everyone else: regular people trying to survive day to day. It's the extremists that're the problem, and that's who I'm illustrating here. I'm not gonna make a game where people go around wantonly killing arab citizens, but I'm more than happy to let the player eradicate extremists of any kind. The villains in most of my work are extremists, whether it's the terrorists in this mod, or the crazy bitches who run Midgard in the Winter Agent Juno universe. It sucks what your people have to go through and all I can really do about it is stick it to the people responsible for all the death and terror.
Cherno wrote:+10 points for using music from Hired Guns, one of my favourite games :wub:
I love Amiga music, and this seemed a perfect place for it since all the missions are based on games from that computer/era.
Cherno wrote:As a break between running and gunning, I would love to see a section based on Operation Thunderbolt, where you just sit back while the vehicle drives automatically and you just have to turn and aim at the enemies popping up (I remember the Amiga version where terrorists where landing straight ontop of the car's hood only to be shot immediately... Quite realistic :3:
Maybe as a bonus round :)
lol that's another one for a better coder than I, but would be pretty interesting. Come to think of it, the desert mission is probably more in line with Operation Thunderbolt than Desert Strike. Might change the name and add some hostages or something.
Gideon020 wrote: It's glorious *sniff* Is the mod updated with this?
I updated it as soon as it was in a working state lol
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

is i tpossible for you to make the weaponary usable in other maps ? other doom maps? .. i have to use tricks to get it to work with other maps that are not from the project
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Just played through the whole campaign for the first time. Two things I noticed:
1. The only time I desperately needed health was in one of the last missions where you start on the roof on a small compound away from the target location. At one point I was down to below 10 health and had to enter the main building (inside the wall with towers) and I had to both deal with the Cyborgs that came from the alcoves outside the building and the enemies withing. The next medkit was inside in a room where one of those shotgun mini-bosses was so I had to take him out first as well. I had to load my save game about 8 times at this point.
2. In the last mission on the plane, in the cargo hold/maintenance area, I used the phone and noticed that a rocket launcher appeared on a box behind a fence, likely a secret. However, I didn't find the entrance to that place and as it turned out the secret switch could only be activated once. Bummer! I only found two secrets in the whole game :blergh:

The suicide bombers are very small compared to the normal terrorists, almost like dwarves.

All in all a very good TC with fun gunplay and a good variety of missions. Of course, there is endless potential for new maps as the posts in this thread have already shown.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Cherno wrote:Just played through the whole campaign for the first time. Two things I noticed:
1. The only time I desperately needed health was in one of the last missions where you start on the roof on a small compound away from the target location. At one point I was down to below 10 health and had to enter the main building (inside the wall with towers) and I had to both deal with the Cyborgs that came from the alcoves outside the building and the enemies withing. The next medkit was inside in a room where one of those shotgun mini-bosses was so I had to take him out first as well. I had to load my save game about 8 times at this point.
2. In the last mission on the plane, in the cargo hold/maintenance area, I used the phone and noticed that a rocket launcher appeared on a box behind a fence, likely a secret. However, I didn't find the entrance to that place and as it turned out the secret switch could only be activated once. Bummer! I only found two secrets in the whole game :blergh:

The suicide bombers are very small compared to the normal terrorists, almost like dwarves.

All in all a very good TC with fun gunplay and a good variety of missions. Of course, there is endless potential for new maps as the posts in this thread have already shown.
Assuming anyone else actually wants to contribute maps. Aheh.

Yeah the bombers have been a pain in my ass sprite-wise. I guess I just have to scale them up a bit.

I'll add more health to the Lethal Tender map. Also you can walk through the fence to get the launcher.

There's also a few easter eggs in the game. Lemme know if anyone finds them.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

ImpieTwo wrote: EDIT: Actually I did try to alter the max shotgun ammo because the AK basically replaces it, mainly so the ammo counter would show up on the stat bar accurately. But nothing I did actually changed the default max for the shells, so I'm not sure I can do the same with rockets, unless somebody knows how to change the default ammo types' maximums. Did everything I could in decorate and the max was always 50 (and maybe it should be, considering how much damage the AK does?) I would have to make a new ammo type, but then it doesn't show up on the status bar.
You can perhaps create a new ammo type for the AK, then create a new status bar by copying the code for the base one and replacing the ammo counter for shells with one for the AK ammo. The same applies if you also want to replace the default rocket and cell ammo types with their respective counterparts.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote: EDIT: Actually I did try to alter the max shotgun ammo because the AK basically replaces it, mainly so the ammo counter would show up on the stat bar accurately. But nothing I did actually changed the default max for the shells, so I'm not sure I can do the same with rockets, unless somebody knows how to change the default ammo types' maximums. Did everything I could in decorate and the max was always 50 (and maybe it should be, considering how much damage the AK does?) I would have to make a new ammo type, but then it doesn't show up on the status bar.
You can perhaps create a new ammo type for the AK, then create a new status bar by copying the code for the base one and replacing the ammo counter for shells with one for the AK ammo. The same applies if you also want to replace the default rocket and cell ammo types with their respective counterparts.
I've never coded a new status bar before so I'm not sure I know how to go about it. Where is the code located for the default one in gzdoom?
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Default_status_bars
Maybe copy the code, then change the ammo variables.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:https://zdoom.org/wiki/Default_status_bars
Maybe copy the code, then change the ammo variables.
Ahh, okay, it's a separate lump then. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: It's updating the max ammo now, but not the current ammo count. I don't get what I'm doing wrong here. It's in the current update, so maybe someone can tell me what the hell I did wrong.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I figured it out.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Various updates since the beta was posted include:

- Dual uzi boss's gun gives you dual uzis when picked up.
- New skies (thanks Quakedoomnukem!)
- various level and mechanic fixes (The Rock has 75% less Ali Adwans, so you don't blow as much ammo on UV mode)
- Max AK47 ammo boosted to 100, and 200 with backpack. As a result, fewer backpacks can be found.

EDIT: And fixed the issue I didn't know about where enemies other than Victor can execute the final boss script.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

can you release a weapons mod...
its almost impossible to get the mod compatible with other mods
also i would love to kill terrorists in my own random levels

you prob have the best adaptation of the blood shotgun too.. it feels so nice
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

shadstarn wrote:can you release a weapons mod...

you're not going to be killing terrorists with a weapons mod or are you asking for a gameplay mod that replaces demons with terrorists and doom guns with operation body count guns?
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

Zen3001 wrote:

you're not going to be killing terrorists with a weapons mod or are you asking for a gameplay mod that replaces demons with terrorists and doom guns with operation body count guns?
yes i would love to have them seperated .. so we ould use them in creative ways.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I'll give it a think and see if it works.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Did the difficulty change with the latest version? Just done MAP05, the one at the airport, and it seemed like the bigger enemies (the dual wielding guys) were hitting harder than before, and the rocket launcher guy was one-shotting me. It may just be to do with the layout, though, as I was caught off guard (for instance when the dual wielding guys come out the toilet stalls when you go to the hostages) and the rocket guy was in a more open area and I wasn't exactly looking in his direction at the time. Or it may just be me. I did skip to MAP05, being as I'd already done the previous levels in a previous version of the mod, and the save wasn't compatible with the latest version. Don't know if this would have made a difference.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”