Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

HaraSwift

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.926 Eye seem

Post by HaraSwift »

I worked it out (Kind of) with Lud? Both CH and the midi in question both called something in the same space. I think he's gonna make a post, I'll let him put it into words, because coding is still arcane to me.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Problem is elsewhere. The issue seems to be when Demonsteele's NowThatsWhatICallMIDI is loaded last. Something in the ACS VM fucks up. The exact message is this: "Out of bounds access to local variables in ACS VM."

I'd report it, but I have zero clue where it goes wrong. It seems to happen only with Colourful Hell. Upon launching the game with CH loaded before DSMIDI, the console spits out 3 "Invalid ACS module" messages that point out to acs/commonfuncs.h. Emphasis on the .h part, which is the extension of the acs file in DSMIDI, but not in CH. Both mods have those files.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

After spending some time with this mod lately and enjoying the new monsters and gibbing (hadn't encountered White Caco and Vile yet, at least not naturally by chance). While White Caco is easy to analyze, I don't get White Vile and especially his own brand of floating eyes. I have found some good secrets hidden down the hood. Click the spoiler at your own risk if you don't want the surprise being uh, spoiled.

Spoiler: such as
I like these easter eggs and I wouldn't mind if you put more of 'em, Hege. They're real nice. Maybe you can make a beastie puke out their breakfast or lunch after you gib them, hehe.
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

Here's the recent incomplete GC Patch: https://mega.nz/#!99JECYCI!81TkAJsX8YFF ... khTALCClFg

Sorry, It only includes compatibility for new CH monsters :(
I need to revamp the new coloured gore system, it's a complete clusterfuck. That one will take a while...
Also, didn't mention the Black/White Nazis. Black Nazi is on work right now, will start White Nazi after that one.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I remember asking for White HK's homing ghost attack to be tweaked. To this date, it's still as annoying as before and the only way to deal with it is to shoot it which is hard thanks to it's small hitbox. I think those things should be slowed down or make their hitboxes bigger. Or maybe make them fade out after a long time.

It's a pure nightmare and unfairness on narrow places. Other white monsters at least can be hidden from safely for a while.
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

found out some more minor things that bother me a bit but which aren't really game-breaking or anything.

-green Arachnotrons can hurt themselves with the small slime particles coming out of their shots, although the damage is very small and it only works when it's really close to a wall

-red Arachnotrons can also hurt themselves with the small red orbs coming out of their blood shots, but here the damage is much higher and it even happens when it's far away from any wall. Had some instances where they just straight up die without me doing anything

-black Arachnotron is so cheap with its bouncing bomb thing, maybe make it slower or make it not last as long... it's literally impossible to avoid if you're not in a really huge room

-yellow Cyberdemon should also have some kind of melee attack like the ones before it, you can sit right in its face (or rather feet) and it won't be able to hit you reliably with the rain of fire. Would be perfect if he would kick you away like the others and launch his skull attack right afterwards. For being a legendary version of a boss, he seems kinda underwhelming and exploitable.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

what are the floating eyes???
Staring judges

I like these easter eggs and I wouldn't mind if you put more of 'em, Hege. They're real nice. Maybe you can make a beastie puke out their breakfast or lunch after you gib them, hehe.
Oh there will be more and there currently is also more
Spoiler:
found out some more minor things that bother me a bit but which aren't really game-breaking or anything.

-green Arachnotrons can hurt themselves with the small slime particles coming out of their shots, although the damage is very small and it only works when it's really close to a wall

-red Arachnotrons can also hurt themselves with the small red orbs coming out of their blood shots, but here the damage is much higher and it even happens when it's far away from any wall. Had some instances where they just straight up die without me doing anything

-black Arachnotron is so cheap with its bouncing bomb thing, maybe make it slower or make it not last as long... it's literally impossible to avoid if you're not in a really huge room

-yellow Cyberdemon should also have some kind of melee attack like the ones before it, you can sit right in its face (or rather feet) and it won't be able to hit you reliably with the rain of fire. Would be perfect if he would kick you away like the others and launch his skull attack right afterwards. For being a legendary version of a boss, he seems kinda underwhelming and exploitable.
-Personally, I like them hurting themselves so Im not gonna change that

-This is troublesome one , I'll try solve this with some tricks at a point cause, yeah.

-I'll consider lowering its uptime

-Kinda so so on this, in otherhand, yeah, makes sense.. On other hand, it already makes things very rainy and you need a safespot somewhere. Not to mention at half health he'll skullfire you anyway.

So update time!
I figured I'd expand on the gray & fireblu monsters a little more cause I had fun making em.

So have an extra challenge update.

Download

I've also changed the white caco to use custommissile instead of spawn one, and I removed unneeded menu block from the menudef
unfortunantly, I dont still know if it works with older zdoom or not, but it should be easier to modify to work with now.

Full changelog;
Spoiler:
bowserknight

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.929 grayline

Post by bowserknight »

oh okay, didn't know about the half health thing for the yellow Cyberdemon, except that he summons Hellknights.

By the way my map is almost finished, also recorded a video of the whole thing (even tho it's still missing the Cyberdemon and Mastermind paths). Need to adjust some fights, some are too easy and some are too hard. The video is over an hour long... but now I can safely say that each monster can be killed with regular weapons! Even the infamous white vile.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

It still doesn't work with the older GZDoom thanks to the new Spriteangle feature to the FireBlu PE. Since it just makes the Fireblu PE facing his ass towards you all the time, I think this also has an easy workaround. Also, aren't Fireblu and gray monsters made for multiplayer too?

I think I'll be missing that "I'M INVINCIBLE" from now on...

EDIT: Gray Caco's gibbing is so loud, my ears

EDIT2: Oh, the "I'm invincible"'s still there. It's just that he can't deflect projectiles anymore. And the new belching sounds (i assume this actually means something?) sound hilarious to be honest.
bowserknight

Post by bowserknight »

So if anyone's interested, here is the arena / test map or whatever that I'm working on for this mod. In this video I go through every single monster with vanilla weapons that's why it takes so long. Still gotta do the Cyberdemon and Mastermind paths but that shouldn't take too long. Also, check the end of the video for something funny.

Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

4thcharacter wrote:It still doesn't work with the older GZDoom thanks to the new Spriteangle feature to the FireBlu PE. Since it just makes the Fireblu PE facing his ass towards you all the time, I think this also has an easy workaround. Also, aren't Fireblu and gray monsters made for multiplayer too?

I think I'll be missing that "I'M INVINCIBLE" from now on...

EDIT: Gray Caco's gibbing is so loud, my ears

EDIT2: Oh, the "I'm invincible"'s still there. It's just that he can't deflect projectiles anymore. And the new belching sounds (i assume this actually means something?) sound hilarious to be honest.
Yeah the gray caco is bit loud, sorry about that, its due of the projectiles
And ofcourse its in there, he doesnt just go invincible + deflect anymore, which is what I was jabbing a joke at, he should still deflect stuff from the front thanks to his new toy
So if anyone's interested, here is the arena / test map or whatever that I'm working on for this mod. In this video I go through every single monster with vanilla weapons that's why it takes so long. Still gotta do the Cyberdemon and Mastermind paths but that shouldn't take too long. Also, check the end of the video for something funny.
so I looked through this and must say, Impressive work! Tho its more of a gauntlet than a showcase map, still, very nice work
I love the little details on some of the black & white room that gives them personality like the white HK room and white caco room

one thing that bit bugs me is that the colour lights on some of the rooms, mostly the blue and green are quite harsh and it hides the translation in the enemies, those rooms that have one enemy stuck in a pillar or caco could have them having normal light if you wish to showcase em.

I'll look forward to the finished map
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Yeah, he does still deflect projectiles with that skull shield which is neat looking and reminds me of Cardfight Vanguard's shield units. For gray caco's noise, I think having it's own definition in SNDINFO with decreased volume and at the same time giving it it's rock projectiles their own actor should do.

Also, I forgot to add that the MENUDEF still causes the older GZDoom be incompatible, but unless it's actually made for the newer GZDoom versions now, we could leave it at that. Still, since the things that use features from the sourceport can be perfectly imitated with a really simple workaround, would it be okay to implement a compatibility patch?
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

4thcharacter wrote:Yeah, he does still deflect projectiles with that skull shield which is neat looking and reminds me of Cardfight Vanguard's shield units. For gray caco's noise, I think having it's own definition in SNDINFO with decreased volume and at the same time giving it it's rock projectiles their own actor should do.

Also, I forgot to add that the MENUDEF still causes the older GZDoom be incompatible, but unless it's actually made for the newer GZDoom versions now, we could leave it at that. Still, since the things that use features from the sourceport can be perfectly imitated with a really simple workaround, would it be okay to implement a compatibility patch?
Compat patch would be fantastic yeah
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Why would you use an old version anyway?
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

For perfect compat on DoomRLA, and for some reason the new versions are prone to crashes. At least on my side.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”