Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Warhawk

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Warhawk »

How's this?

Used DrDoctor's Melee zombie, someone's edit of D64 POSS palette, and for the chaingun, I used the palette in SD64 Unabsolved.
CPOS64.PNG
CPOS64.PNG (2.16 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I actually like that sprite quite a bit. The concept for that is good, although the ammo belt should be darker and less classic Doom-y and the Chaingun itself is fine I suppose since it doesn't necessarily need to look like the one the player uses. Since Doom 64 never had Chaingunners to start, I'd probably just end up changing them to drop clips instead anyway.

I'd love a full sheet with this style with a darker ammo belt, and I will add it to Retribution if so.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

So how would you include the Chaingunner to Retribution? Would you introduce the enemy in Retribution or add an option to have it replace the basic Zombieman?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

It would just be a new enemy to use in new maps, and to use in the Outcast Levels where needed. I would not add it to original maps.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Fair enough. If anything, I suppose I could do it myself using the 'replaceactor' line in MAPINFO.
Dark Pulse
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dark Pulse »

Wow, I love that someone is doing this WAD! Once I saw GZDoom had added support for Doom 64-style lighting, I felt like it was only going to be a matter of time before we have what's more or less a perfect (or near-perfect) recreation for GZDoom. Even though we've got Doom64 EX for this (and the benefit of Kaiser reverse-engineering its engine), it always felt weird to me to have one port for playing one game, and pretty much every other Doom-engine game that I can think of being on GZDoom.

I keep seeing that there will be another version coming out sometime soon (at least, according to posts 3-4 months ago), presumably this is going to have "proper" Doom 64-style lighting and such? We're right at the end of the year, so its release date might be slipping until next year... :(

To me this would be a great playground to make some custom maps in, too. Here's to hoping that eventually you can get that IWAD-recognition status... but I'll hope that in exchange you really do try to make it as close as humanly possible to Doom 64 (without being pendantic about it) if so. Obviously we're not purists to the point we want 640x480 resolution and all that.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

how can i play this mod with my maps?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

shadstarn wrote:how can i play this mod with my maps?
You should just be able to load them after the mod and they will replace the maps in the mod. Like if your map is MAP01, loading it after will override Doom 64's Staging Area. The weapons, monsters, and items will still be Doom 64 but the map will be whatever yours is. I can't promise 100% compatibility doing this however. You'd need to edit the maps into my standards for full compatibility.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

I'm curious about which Sector Light Mode would be the closest to the original. I usually use Software but Standard seemed nicer in this case, any clues?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Pixel Eater wrote:I'm curious about which Sector Light Mode would be the closest to the original. I usually use Software but Standard seemed nicer in this case, any clues?
If you want the True Nintendo 64 Experience you'll want Dark. ;P
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a whirl :lol:
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I may be wrong, but I think the MAPINFO already sets every map's sector light mode upon entering to dark anyway.
Nevander

Re: [v1.4] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Nevander »

That is correct, they all get set to Dark automatically. In other news...

Version 1.4 is now available! Huzzah!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retri ... version-14

Please download, replay and go through the new maps! Let me know if you run into any bugs or have suggestions for improving the three maps I "finished off" from the Outcast Levels (these three maps are Control, Forge, and Derelict). I think they all turned out great (especially Derelict) but the community should be the judge.

Also, random statistic: since release, all updates combined, ModDB reports around 7,500 downloads!
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Spoiler:
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

My favoritest of the Console Dooms on my favoritest of source ports! Thank you, Nevander!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”