[MOD] Demon Slayer 1887 (Update 1.5 FEB.01.2018)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [MOD] Demon Slayer 1887 (Update JAN.06.2018)

Post by Captain J »

willkuer wrote:New weapon - Brass Lewis Gun, drops from Chaingunners. Very high fire rate (DPS), very inaccurate, no first-shot-accuracy. Overheats if fired for too long.
(Reduced fire rate of Hailstorm, but it's higher damage and tap fire sniping capability still make it viable.)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Gotta love that good ol' lewis machine gun. Still looks fitting for steampunk stuff! Also looks sturdier than older SMG, too.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Captain J wrote:Gotta love that good ol' lewis machine gun. Still looks fitting for steampunk stuff! Also looks sturdier than older SMG, too.
Well, it doesn't fit the time period though, especially since it isn't a fantasy gun like all the others. A Maxim Gun would be more appropriate, but it'd be too heavy and visually boring from a first person perspective... dunno, mixed feelings here. I mean mechanically it's clear what it will be: burst DPS weapon. But I'm not sure about the visual representation... any ideas? Comments?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The very visual part of the Lewis Gun makes it really steampunk-ish and fits very well the mod!

Perhaps, since it overheats, why don't you add that same thing from the flamethrower... argh i forgot the name! But you pretty much know what it is, the thermometer thing which has a gauge.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

GAA1992 wrote:The very visual part of the Lewis Gun makes it really steampunk-ish and fits very well the mod!

Perhaps, since it overheats, why don't you add that same thing from the flamethrower... argh i forgot the name! But you pretty much know what it is, the thermometer thing which has a gauge.
Well, I'll leave the sprites in for now anyways... need to concentrate on mechanics more, got me sidetracked already :D

About the flamethrower (Hellfire ^^): You think it would benefit from a heat management mechanic? Realistically speaking, on a pressure nozzle the only significant element to heat up would be the exhaust. A machingeun heats up the whole barrel - though "realistically speaking" is kinda superficial in Doom 2's context :D let's say, "believability" ^^
The pressure gauge on the side could be used as a visual cue of course, though I'd prefer to use the alt-fire ammo space in the HUD for that element.

EDIT: Speaking of HUD - would anybody be interested and have time to maybe give the DoomGuy mugshot animation a makeover in the style I edited already? I think that's one part I really lack the time for...
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Overheat the flamethrower? Nah, i don't think so. Machineguns, on the other side, are generally overpowered and reliable. If you want a drawback, the machinegun would suit it better. Two guns that can overheat may be a problem in maps with lots of enemies.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

GAA1992 wrote:Overheat the flamethrower? Nah, i don't think so. Machineguns, on the other side, are generally overpowered and reliable. If you want a drawback, the machinegun would suit it better. Two guns that can overheat may be a problem in maps with lots of enemies.
Dude, I read "FOR the flame thrower" instead of "from" :D sorry, my bad... it was late :) Now it makes sense, but yea, as I said, there's the free space in the HUD, since it doesn't have an alt-fire - and maybe have the barrel glow from heat via a flash state ^^
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I don't know how but I somehow caused a bug that would cause the machine gun not to use ammo. I had a backpack with full ammo and it was using up ammo like normal but I moved to the next level and didn't notice until later that my ammo wouldn't go down when I fired.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Someone64 wrote:I don't know how but I somehow caused a bug that would cause the machine gun not to use ammo. I had a backpack with full ammo and it was using up ammo like normal but I moved to the next level and didn't notice until later that my ammo wouldn't go down when I fired.
Yeah, I noticed that too while testing after the last build. Happened since I added the tracers to the machine gun. Apparently, it additionally requires the use-ammo-flag to be added. Fixed it for the next update, sorry.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I noticed another bug regarding the autorifle and started digging around in your code. The zombiemen don't drop the autorifle itself, but the RiflePickup Actor. This actor, while giving the autorifle, also seperately gives 20 bullets and a rifle grenade which in the end causes each dropped rifle to grant the player 40 bullets and 2 grenades. This is ironically double the amount of autorifles spawned in the map.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

DabbingSquidward wrote:I noticed another bug regarding the autorifle and started digging around in your code. The zombiemen don't drop the autorifle itself, but the RiflePickup Actor. This actor, while giving the autorifle, also seperately gives 20 bullets and a rifle grenade which in the end causes each dropped rifle to grant the player 40 bullets and 2 grenades. This is ironically double the amount of autorifles spawned in the map.
Thanks for the report! Already fixed. I'll try to push an update these days, allthough I'd prefer to finish some of the visual stuff, sound etc. But I myself found so many bugs last weekend, I'll probably need to publish a fix early :D
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

New build is up!

*Bugfixes
*New weapon (Lewis Gun)
*First custom pain, death and extreme death states depending on weapon/damage type available for the ZombieMan (for now as it's for testing and feedback purposes). No new sprites, just decorate effects, translations etc. ;)
[Extreme death by plasma completly obliterates the ZombieMan by using A_Burst, removing the corpse from the game. I do not know yet how this will interact with Archvile raising the dead on certain maps and if this is a viable option for other low tier monsters... will test further]

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Have fun! :)

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5b9ffw2ln ... 1.4%5D.pk3
Someone64

Re: [MOD] Demon Slayer 1887 (Update JAN.16.2018)

Post by Someone64 »

I hope this doesn't conflict with existing special deaths for certain monster packs like Brutal Doom's or Kriegsland enemies (which already has its own burn deaths for example that cause the Nazis to run around in circles and set each other on fire from their own burning bodies). IF this IS an issue maybe it should be optional?
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Someone64 wrote:I hope this doesn't conflict with existing special deaths for certain monster packs like Brutal Doom's or Kriegsland enemies (which already has its own burn deaths for example that cause the Nazis to run around in circles and set each other on fire from their own burning bodies). IF this IS an issue maybe it should be optional?
I'm afraid, the way I implemented it, it WILL conflict with other mods (I replaced the monster while having it inherit from it's original class so I can add to the behavior, but don't need to replace it completly). Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with GZDoom to know how it can be done optionally. Also, it would probably be really cool to have the monsters coded in ZScript, but again, no sé :( For all that, I would really need help from the experienced developers here. If anybody is up for it, feel free to dig into the Decorate/ACS code :)

EDIT: I could try to work from/with a commented code template or a tutorial if something alike for adding non-conflicting custom monsters already exists somewhere...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well it's gonna be fine, tho. As long you have time to make mutators about it! Anyway i tried the mod. And you really fixed the problems very well. Although you missed some of them. And here they are;

- When Zombiemen drops Autorifle, it shows 'You got Pickup' text and plays vanilla doom item pickup sound.

- Lewis Gun seems wider and larger than Autorifle, it almost covers half the screen. And nah, don't shrink it! It looks fine as it is. Just lower the sprite bit.

Plus!... i prefer 'Lou's Rifle' than Actually-existing 'Lewis Gun', imo!

Also i hope it can have some kind of Double-edged Alt-Fire. Like cooling the barrel with animation or Quick-Auto firing Until the barrel gets cooked fast.

- His face still won't show his expressions.

- Salt n' Pepper and Fiery Temper Also shows 'you got pickup' message when pickup.

- Arc Coil and Salt n' Pepper Still needs its own pickup sprite.

- How can i fill up the Hailstorm ammo? Cells won't fill her up and only Backpack another spare weapon can fill up the ammunition. And gosh they gives me a few fuel.

- I see that Green armor now gives you a cool helmet. Neat! Now i wonder What Blue armor will give you after picking it up? a Top hat with Steampunk Goggle? :P

And that's about it. Excellent work, my friend! Keep up the heat, like a brand new Boiler!
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Captain J wrote:Well it's gonna be fine, tho. As long you have time to make mutators about it! Anyway i tried the mod. And you really fixed the problems very well. Although you missed some of them. And here they are;
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”