DooM: Resurrected Nightmare (25th Anniversary Demo Release)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
PRIMEVAL

Re: Doom 1 Reloaded: Resurrected Nightmare

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Played the demo you posted. Pretty cool! The only main issue I see so far is the music choices. I understand you want the classic stuff as this is a retelling of the original story, but hearing e1m1 for the duration of a map that takes well over 10 minutes and isn't fully action packed is a bit much. E1M2 is a bit better as it's more ambient. This is looking good, though, keep it up!

Also, if need be, I can help with any new music you'd like.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Official Discord is up, shared with another project of mine.

https://discord.gg/dS8EHES
XLightningStormL

PRIMEVAL wrote:Played the demo you posted. Pretty cool! The only main issue I see so far is the music choices. I understand you want the classic stuff as this is a retelling of the original story, but hearing e1m1 for the duration of a map that takes well over 10 minutes and isn't fully action packed is a bit much. E1M2 is a bit better as it's more ambient. This is looking good, though, keep it up!

Also, if need be, I can help with any new music you'd like.
Forgot to mention, if you have something in mind, just join the discord, or message me via ZDF-messages if you have something in mind, soundtrack-wise.
XLightningStormL

Resurrected Nightmare E1M1 Finished!

E1M1 is most definitely finished now (a few more touches need to be made, but that's about it) so have some promotional *BUMP* posts, that will be used to promo the mod.
Spoiler:
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Resurrected Nightmare [E1M1 DEFINITELY FINISHED! Pg. 2]

Post by Wiw »

Awesome!
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

I took a look at the screenshots and played around a bit, man you really have an eye for not just lighting but other the rooms are very nice looking.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I really love the atmosphere of what these screenshots go. looking forward to seeing more :)
XLightningStormL

Re: Resurrected Nightmare [Doom 1 Remake for Doom 2]

Bigly announcement: for the 25th Anniversary of DooM this year, I will be dropping the "final" public build which will comprise of a super updated awesome E1M1, essentially a "giant working polished tech demo" for you to build hype to the ultra-quality RN is now (from the crappy quality it was back in 2016, and the last builds from 2017) and see what's in store. For this I will look at getting at a certain two Doom Youtubers (GGGmanlives, and Icarus, who me, and Procket are big fans of) to look at RN, and see if I can get Romero, and Tom Hall's blessings on the project.

Updated Screenshots will also be uploaded later today (within five or so hours), which will include some E1MS, and E1M2 stuff, so stay frosty y'all.
XLightningStormL

Re: DooM: Resurrected Nightmare (25th Anniversary Demo Relea

Epic 25th Anniversary Bump of Bumpiness.

Download Link:

[REQUIRES DOOM2.WAD [It autoloads] AND NEWEST STABLE GZDOOM RELEASE!]

https://www.mediafire.com/file/738oja68 ... l.zip/file

RN's demo is finally released, and with that an updated main thread with 8 new and updated picture album (Photos contain images that are 480p so don't cry about it not rendering or your internet being trash) including shots of both E1M1 and the in development E1M2!

Enjoy folks, this'll be your only taste for a while so, enjoy it \O/
NTSM
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by NTSM »

Looks promising.
I'll test that tomorrow.
I love this dark atmosphere.
:D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Forgot to play this until now, but i really love the dark and gloomy atmosphere of this TC has. Choice of sound effects are neat and the map is quite weldone! Very long and has a little bit of secrets to investigate. Also Nice job adding detailed storyline and the enemy settings. I'm still having fun reading all of them. Weapons are fun to use and has their own info. So yeah! Looking forward to it. And i would like to share some feedback, because that's why i'm replying right now!
Spoiler:
And that's about it. I'm going to write more feedback later!

EDIT: More feedback have been added. You're welcome!
XLightningStormL

Captain J wrote:Lots of Stuff [refer to original comment]
Delicious, finally, some good fookin feedback.

1. From what I've seen, I don't have this issue, though other factors maybe in play, newer private build that fixed the issue, gzdoom version (I'm using 4.2.0 atm) etc
2. Video game logic for ya :D
3. Rifle Zombies seem to be the oddman out when it comes to that bug, the rest are fine. So fixed.
4. Well headlamps are pretty important, but I can put some more flares around the early areas, and give the player 2 starting flares.
5. Have to ask Kinsie or DrPyspy about that.
6. Fixed about 2 months ago
7. Unsure, it'd get annoying, plus I'm not a zscript wizard.
8. Will look to it, I just need to make .50 CAL scale casings first.
9. Fixed as of March.
10. Gameplay decision, water coolers are meant to be cool "destructible objects" though Duke3d bubblers/drinking fountains will appear as rare opportunities to bright health back to 50 (1 at a time) for free.
11. Will fix eventually, when I'm not lazy.
12. Explain so? Also, RN's stores utilize touchscreen CRTs, not to mention "LEDs" are magically "extinct" due to lore; mineable/pure phosphorous is ultra rare, retrofuturistic 90s tech, etc
13. Fixed, turns out I must've removed the actual line the new impball refers to by accident.
14. Yeah, it's not the greatest sound, If I find something better (or someone else does) it'll get replaced.
15. Easy survival supplies aren't particularly one of RN's design goals. Plus they're trash cans after all.
16. It's supposed to be a forklift service elevator, Forklifts can't exactly go up stairs.
17. Fixed when I overhauled the HUD, and the armour bonus actor causing that old bug.
18. There's a reason all those armour bonuses, and compblue is leading from the door to that terminal ;)
19. I need to figure it out, it's an odd bug, sometimes it'll play the sound, other times the sound will not play.
20. Thank you, fixed now.
21. Batteries as of that release are pretty pointless due to their use being shelved until I got competent enough in my coding to make them yseful (plus the cheat only chainsaw/repair tool are dependent on them)
22. I fixed it in the newer private builds a while back.
23. You can't eat boxes lmao, also don't count on it being called "Duke Burger" in the future :P
24. Canonical doodles yes, I'm not an artist, nor do I have access to a freelance mod artist that would help in the first place.
25. Eh the grenade box is fine enough, and the SMG ammo box got update in May IIRC.

A lot of differing taste, opinions, but a few important bits of bug issues that need fixing that have been brought up. The December/Jan builds are outdated (by a longshot) but some issues still remain, it is still in development after all. Thanks for the feedback Cap.

Also, Fixed doesn't mean that there's an update coming (any time soon), I did make it pretty clear that another update isn't coming due to the closed source development, and unless there are major game breaking bugs, patience is key.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Just wrote some replies for you. Because i think you're probably gonna need them!
1. From what I've seen, I don't have this issue, though other factors maybe in play, newer private build that fixed the issue, gzdoom version (I'm using 4.2.0 atm) etc
My GZDoom was very outdated(Ver. 4.1.3), and i think i made a little mistake here. I thought i should Re-Download both the RC and GZDoom version 4.2.0, so i did and dropped my pistol again and no. The Game still crashes. And my Computer is 64 bit, btw. Hope you fix this somehow!
4. Well headlamps are pretty important, but I can put some more flares around the early areas, and give the player 2 starting flares.
That would be a bit merciful. Thanks!
10. Gameplay decision, water coolers are meant to be cool "destructible objects" though Duke3d bubblers/drinking fountains will appear as rare opportunities to bright health back to 50 (1 at a time) for free.
I see... But adding another feature to it like healing when used might make the Gameplay much more various and would make the player actually interact with something.
12. Explain so? Also, RN's stores utilize touchscreen CRTs, not to mention "LEDs" are magically "extinct" due to lore; mineable/pure phosphorous is ultra rare, retrofuturistic 90s tech, etc
I think i couldn't elaborate it enough there. I mean GL Light stuff. The Vending Machine lacks GL Lights explaining that you actually can use it.
18. There's a reason all those armour bonuses, and compblue is leading from the door to that terminal ;)
That's a good point. But then again, the hint here lacks information and quite cryptic.
24. Canonical doodles yes, I'm not an artist, nor do I have access to a freelance mod artist that would help in the first place.
Again, i don't think it's not a big deal as long as you can access Doom 3 and its dedicated Screenshots and Videos... Or any kind of 3D model really.
XLightningStormL

Captain J wrote:I see... But adding another feature to it like healing when used might make the Gameplay much more various and would make the player actually interact with something.
My point still stands; they are a destructible prop, you want a drink of water, find a bubbler or a water bottle.
That's a good point. But then again, the hint here lacks information and quite cryptic.
Not really cryptic, it's the same sort of way how E1M2's inital flow works, some objects pop out into the player's view (corpses in M2, armour bonuses here) and the player's first instinct should be to go in get them, a-la

Of course E1M2 finishes the "soft trap" with Zombiemen shooting at you, the terminal area...with a terminal that opens the door. Pretty basic stuff. It's the barest piece of hand holding. If people can't figure it out, let them run around in circles.
Again, i don't think it's not a big deal as long as you can access Doom 3 and its dedicated Screenshots and Videos... Or any kind of 3D model really.
I'm deliberately avoiding doing things like that for a reason, partially because D3's character models doesn't hold up any more, but also due to creative & design reasons (RN "Bertruger" is not Doom 3 Bertruger, etc) Just because something exists doesn't mean I should just jump on in and use it. I am maintaining freedom of creativity, and uniquity, RN isn't just a copy & paste of 50 million things from a 12 different sources, if that means (currently) LQ, crappy "cartoon" art, then that's how it will be till higher quality art is made for it.

Have to understand that this isn't just another basic, granddaddy boomer remake with dark lighting and blowing up demons like your Arnie, RN (especially in the current private build) is geared towards a slower approach, RE2-esque "Ubermensch Creep" approach, you start off as a small fish in a fish pond, then you overcome and turn into a big fish, and make that pond small. This means things like puzzles (map-based, and gameplay based) will be more common, observation, and "leaving things for the time being" So things like "confusing how do I get 2 teh key/switch/cyberdemon/etc" are going to be around. If you want pure action, and easy to read map flow, you'll have to look elsewhere, because RN doesn't intend to fulfil that, because frankly, there's enough of it.
XLightningStormL

🎵 dame da ne
dame yo dame na no yo
anta ga suki de suki sugite
dore dake tsuyoi osake de mo
yugamanai omoide ga
baka mitai
🎵

Resurrected Nightmare now dies.

For a few reasons....
One of them being that it's developed far enough, that I think it deserves to be separate entity, unconstrained by limitations.

Not that it mattered much anyway.
Much progress was made however, even if it was just one level.

I do hope we meet again...under different circumstances, sometime in the near future.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”