Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SallazarSpellcaster

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Nightgaunt wrote:Hi guys, I just discovered this mod while looking for a new Heretic/Hexen like game.
My utmost gratitude for the author.
So far looks great, I downloaded the package with Zdoom which includes all games with -bat files to launch them and the (hopefully) latest WoC version.

I have some questions:

1) Isn't there an official site for this mod or an official board, or some place to get news about the future development?

2) While messing in the Winnowing Hall I noticed that some of the Ettins didn't react to me fighting some of their brethren, they just stood with their back turned to me while I slaughtered their buddies with the Necromancer sickle. Is this normal?

3) Are there default quicksave-quickload buttons?

4) Are there specially made wads for this mod? Where can I download them?

5) Can I remap the keys for the stats/skills selection menu navigation? Couldn't find the in-game options.

6) Is there a re-spec function?

Thank you.
Someone before me already answered the first three questions. About the second one: All weapons in slot 1 are silent, it was made as a way to preserve the stealth mechanic in Strife. It makes the mage's sapphire wand especially overpowered, since you can stealthily snipe enemies from afar.

4) Yes, Tower of Chaos viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36663&hilit=Tower+of+chaos
Masters of Chaos for Heretic viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32714&p=1017784&hi ... s#p1017784
And Irontusk also pasted a link for his map pack for Heretic. Both ToC and MoC have compatibility patches for Wrath of Cronos, MoC is updated to the latest version of WoC (2.0c I think,) and I'm not sure if Tower of Chaos has been updated.

5) Yes, you can. Go to Options > Keyboard Options, and find the "Wrath of Cronos keys" section. There you can remap your keys any way you want, both for menus and skills. Personally, I have the RPG menu mapped to Z, and skills mapped to R, T, F, and G.

6) Yes there is. The merchant you can encounter now and then sells a scroll of oblivion (or something like that) for 5000 gold. It allows you to respec your stats, skills, and specialization path. There's a small, cheaty trick you can do with it:
Spoiler:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

6) Is there a re-spec function?
There's an item you can obtain in the latest version that will respec your character. Scroll of Reversion I believe it was called, it must be pretty rare (or possibly bugged or shop only) cus out of the whole time I played the game, I have not once seen it drop.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

2 Nightgaunt:

4) I dunno no one wad which was made especially for WoC, but some of them can be played without any troubles:
Diablo II Conversion Mod for Hexen (demo)
Scourge of Viscerus for Hexen

Masters of Chaos for Heretic (needs to use a compatibility patch)
Irontusk's mod for Heretic\Hexen
and a LOT of them (Chillax, Swim with the whales, Sunlust, Disjunction, etc.) for Doom games, just try search it self...
5)

Code: Select all

options->customize controls

show rpg menu "key"
use skill 1 "key"
use skill 2 "key"
use skill 3 "key"
use skill 4 "key"
use best healin item "key"

move forward "key" = up menu navigation
move backward "key" = down menu navigation
strafe left "key" = navigation menu to left
straffe right "key" = navigation menu to right
secondary fire "key" = rise stat by 5
use/open "key" = rise stat by 1 
                       = rank up the skill
                       = select 1st potion
                       = select 2nd potion and mix
                       = choose spec
6) There is "Scroll of Reversion" item for total re-spec. Can be bought for 5k gold base price.

Totally ninjad! :)
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

all links are broken
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Thank you guys.

That's a real pity about the re-spec bug, hope it will get fixed.

Isn't anywhere a breakdown all the weapons in the mod?
I really don't know which class should I pick and wanted to do some research.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

As said before:
Valherran wrote:Agility for ranged weapon damage is for the Hunter only.

Intellect is for increasing damage for all classes except the Hunter.

Wisdom is for buffing support magic in the skill tree.
A more details you can find in the WoC wiki.
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Thanks.

By the way, by "magic damage" does the game includes the weapon damage too, like sapphire wand, wraithverge and such?

Also, I notieced that the game has annoying slowdowns the first time you use a special spell ability (the ones that use "magicks").
Anyway to mitigate this? (I could put the mod on an SSD if it will help).
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Well, there is no precise definition of what are "magic damage" is,
Spoiler:
Иге yes, sapphire wand, wraithverge and most of literally ranged weapons may be considered as "magic damage" sources.

In a fact is more useful to rely on the ordered information from the wiki correlation tables. They are quite precise, for 2.0c2 at least.
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Noticed that the warrior secondary fists' attack do more damage yet strike as fast as the primary. Am I missing something?
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

The primary attack a bit faster than the alt-fire, additionally its deal a more powerful each successful 4th hit, but seems it broken now.
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Understood, thanks.

Anyone else having massive framerate drops when you pickup flasks?
It brings framerate to almost 30 fps.

It only happens when you pick up a flask for the first time, other times a are fine, except I keep saving-loading so the lag is pretty frequent.
I messed with the options but the only fix I found is to remove all opengl textures improvements.

My machine is powerful and the game is installed on an SSD.
Any ideas on why does it happens?
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

I didn't noticed any major game slowdown when I pick up flasks, but
Nightgaunt wrote:Also, I notieced that the game has annoying slowdowns the first time you use a special spell ability (the ones that use "magicks").
Anyway to mitigate this? (I could put the mod on an SSD if it will help).
occasionally I have clashed with a similar lags at the similar circumstances (ability cast), but it's not critical for gameplay in my case. And I really doubt what it related with SSD, but if you have a chance to install mod on HDD you should try it to compare efficiency I think.
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Ok I can confirm that installing the mod on an SSD eliminates the ability related stutters.

However, item gathering related stutters persist even on SSD, the only fix I found is to lower texture quality.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Wrath of Cronos + Irontusk.wad

Post by irontusk341 »

I have my Wad + WOC on my SSD, and it lags there and it lagged when i had it on my HDD. I saw no improvement in performance except level loading.

My specs are as follows:
Acer predator 300
2.8GHZ intel i7 quad core
Geforce 1060 6GB VRAM
16GB DDR3 ram
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
200 GB Sandisk 96mb/s SDXC (For backups, and backup boot)

I am working on a new patch for my Irontusk.WAD.

The new patch will address the following bugs,
1. bug that prevents door from openning after killing the Golden Liches on E4M8. (the door is now toggled by pressing the Use key).
2. Episode 4 (frozen wastes) and 5 (Ancient Ruins) are seeing some extensions and decor improvements to add diversity and eye candy to the maps.
3. E5M1 now allows the user to open the door from the other side in the room behind the spawn point. The gate has also been fixed on E5M1, The "blood" Lake at the end of E5M1 no longer causes damage.
4. The Hardest Difficulty will see a massive decrease in item drops (especially Icon of Defenders)
5. Episode 6 will get an extension.

This new patch should be finished by the end of the month. (earliest i can do due to change in work schedule)
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Sounds nice, Irontusk.

I am a new guy here so I am not familiar with your work.
Is that a WoC compatible wad? How many levels?

Currently I haven't started the game yet as I am really undecided about the class.
My interests lie mainly in the Warrior and Necromancer but I find really annoying that so many Warrior weapons require intelligence.
Same with Necro requiring Charisma for pet damage, forcing me to deteract from intelligence...

What are some good build for those characters for the Hexen main wad and Deathkings?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”