Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v1.0

Post by Cyanide »

Doomenator wrote:No matter how it is will be implemented, with the filter, blocking or deletion. Make a few different mods without certain categories of monsters are generally the easiest way. That would not be certain monsters, which are not compatible with a certain weapon mod.
I think I know what you want now. Perhaps I can make a theme selector that forces a specific theme to roll. That way you get to choose from all of the 23 themes I've already defined.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Chaos Mode breaks the HELL out of Dead Simple. Every Mancubus kill lowers the walls, and every Archanotron kill raises the steps a bit. I'm playing with another mod, but I checked if it still does it unmodded. It does.

Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Cyanide wrote:
Doomenator wrote:No matter how it is will be implemented, with the filter, blocking or deletion. Make a few different mods without certain categories of monsters are generally the easiest way. That would not be certain monsters, which are not compatible with a certain weapon mod.
I think I know what you want now. Perhaps I can make a theme selector that forces a specific theme to roll. That way you get to choose from all of the 23 themes I've already defined.
This is a great idea.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Brohnesorge wrote:Chaos Mode breaks the HELL out of Dead Simple. Every Mancubus kill lowers the walls, and every Archanotron kill raises the steps a bit. I'm playing with another mod, but I checked if it still does it unmodded. It does.
Shit... I'll see what I can do.
Whoah wrote:This is a great idea.
Going on the to-do then.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Ayyy, cool. Loving this mod, by the way. Perfect for when you want a mod to mess with the bestiary, but not change their core functions at all. Which is obviously it's intention, I know. Also, little suggestion, but I think the gargoyle from heretic would be a good addition for the lost soul.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Whoah wrote:Ayyy, cool. Loving this mod, by the way. Perfect for when you want a mod to mess with the bestiary, but not change their core functions at all. Which is obviously it's intention, I know. Also, little suggestion, but I think the gargoyle from heretic would be a good addition for the lost soul.
Thanks man! I've thought about using the gargoyle or imp or whatever it's called before. The only problem is, that I need a Pain Elemental counterpart, since they are always paired. But perhaps the "real" D64 Pain Elemental could work. I might also add the gargoyle from hexen as a cacodemon variant.

I've added the feature you suggested in your first post. It will be in the next version. :)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Awesome! Looking forward to the next release! Maybe the gargoyle's pain elemental could be some sort of evil wizard?
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

What does the "SoDStlth.pk3" addon do?

The other addons make sense, but I'm not sure what this one does.

Also been enjoying a this mod a lot lately. I investigated the problem I was having way back then and found out that brutal doom was the culprit. Hectebus wasn't a dark grey mancubus for me, but instead a giant cyberdemon-tier tank monster with chainguns and rockets that could also instakill me if it drove over me with its big metal tank treads. Theres a hidden ambush feature in this mod that wasn't mentioned anywhere, so that also caught me off guard when they spawned seemingly out of nowhere.

Now that issue was dealt with, I've had been having a lot of fun playthroughs with this mod and the new updates it has gotten. Its one of the very best monster randomizer available and I'm really happy it exists. Thank you for making it!
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Spaceman333 wrote:What does the "SoDStlth.pk3" addon do?
It adds versions of all the stealth type monsters, which are rarely used. The ones that turn completely invisible. You can spawn one with "summon stealthzombieman". If you're using my mod while doing this, you'll get one of the zombie variants, but as a stealth version.
Spaceman333 wrote:...I've had been having a lot of fun playthroughs with this mod and the new updates it has gotten. Its one of the very best monster randomizer available and I'm really happy it exists. Thank you for making it!
Thanks, dude! I only put most of the code together. The real heroes are in the credits. :D
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Cyanide wrote:
Spaceman333 wrote:What does the "SoDStlth.pk3" addon do?
It adds versions of all the stealth type monsters, which are rarely used. The ones that turn completely invisible. You can spawn one with "summon stealthzombieman". If you're using my mod while doing this, you'll get one of the zombie variants, but as a stealth version.
Oh those ones, I get it. Thanks, definitely turning that one on.

And indeed huge thanks to everyone who's assets were used in this mod, they truly make it what it is.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v1.0.2 - Chaos Mode fixed... I think

Post by Cyanide »

New version / hotfix up.

I think Chaos Mode works now. Unfortunately Keens can't be randomized with this method, but I can live with that for now.
Check the changelog for other stuff.

EDIT: Since the mod patches where also changed, a new download is required if you want maximum compatibility.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Cyanide wrote:New version / hotfix up.
Nice, but I couldn't get a set of monsters compatible with hexen weapon mod for example. For this there should be no monsters with high-tech weapons. :)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Damn, a weapon mod that follows the same philosophy as this would be badass. Like different randomized skins for the weapons. For instance, you load up a wad, fiddle with some settings, start, and the shotgun is a lever-action, pistol is a wand, chaingun is an mp40 etc. But no changes other than the appearance and pick up sprite/message. Not saying cyanide should do this, as this is probably time-consuming enough, but it would be cool if someone with proper coding experience could make this a reality.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Doomenator wrote:
Cyanide wrote:New version / hotfix up.
Nice, but I couldn't get a set of monsters compatible with hexen weapon mod for example. For this there should be no monsters with high-tech weapons. :)
Aaah I see. The problem is, that there are no variants of Zombiemen, Shotgunguys, Chaingunguys, Arachnotrons, Spider Masterminds and Nazies in this mod that DO NOT use high tech weapons. I would have to find at least one for each to make this possible.
Whoah wrote:Damn, a weapon mod that follows the same philosophy as this would be badass. Like different randomized skins for the weapons. For instance, you load up a wad, fiddle with some settings, start, and the shotgun is a lever-action, pistol is a wand, chaingun is an mp40 etc. But no changes other than the appearance and pick up sprite/message. Not saying cyanide should do this, as this is probably time-consuming enough, but it would be cool if someone with proper coding experience could make this a reality.
Already on it. ;)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Oh shit, what? Aw hell yeah! Looking forward to that!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”