Realms of Dr. Chaos (For Heretic/Gzdoom)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Realms of Dr. Chaos (For Heretic/Gzdoom)

Post by ImpieTwo »

Play as Mick Chaos, brother to the slightly demented Dr. Chaos, and shoot your way through 3 action/puzzle maps as you solve whatever weird inter-dimensional kerfuffle the good doctor has caused this time. Features a new weapon (Colt .45 Automatic, replaces the elf wand) and a new monster (Serpathor, replaces the useless Ophidian). Read the included pdf for the detailed story, helpful clues, and useless trivia.

DISCLAIMER: These maps are not straightforward shooty maps. You HAVE to use your brain to solve/survive them. UV is for Dr. Chaos veterans ONLY, so newbies and youtubers, proceed at your own peril.

DOWNLOAD IF YOU DARE

Episodes:

Bungalow of Dr. Chaos – Mick returns from the Great War to find a letter waiting for him from his brother Dr. Chaos, begging for his help in closing a series of unstable dimensional portals.

Dr. Chaos Strikes Back – Mick is perturbed to learn that the Turkish bath he helped Dr. Chaos build is being used by the doctor to deliver water to a dying desert planet, with predictable space-time continuum disrupting results. Now the bath house/dimensional engine has gone haywire and must be shut down before worlds collide.

City of Chaos – Mick accidentally breaks a delicate dimensional device in the city of Dander, Norway and splits the city into three different timelines. He must explore them to find the missing pieces of the machine and restore the space-time continuum.

EDIT: I'm uploading a more recent video within the hour, so hang tight folks.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Korell

Re: Realms of Dr. Chaos (For Heretic/Gzdoom)

Post by Korell »

Just downloaded this to give it a try. Are there any settings that should be used? Like should crouching and jumping be enabled? Any special keys that need to be bound?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Just gave this a try, too. Plays very well, and the story is very cool. However, i would like to state that you forgot to credit the pistol sprites to DoukDouk, and, i think you used (with exception of the muzzle flash frame) my Powerslave hands set for his Colt. ;)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Another badass impie mod! I gotta admit, I get all giddy like a schoolgirl whenever you release something.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:Just downloaded this to give it a try. Are there any settings that should be used? Like should crouching and jumping be enabled? Any special keys that need to be bound?
No special keys required, and jumping/crouching are already disabled in the wad itself.
GAA1992 wrote:Just gave this a try, too. Plays very well, and the story is very cool. However, i would like to state that you forgot to credit the pistol sprites to DoukDouk, and, i think you used (with exception of the muzzle flash frame) my Powerslave hands set for his Colt. ;)
THAT'S who made the damn colt. I didn't take the name down and couldn't find where the sprite was uploaded again, so I was hoping someone would bring it up. I'll add him to the list, although I have no idea where I got the powerslave hands from. I think they came with the colt graphics...?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

If so those are my powerslave hands recolored on the blood palette. The original has gloves. The muzzle flash isn't mine, however.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

ok I just credited you both.

Also tweaked the Serpathor medusa eye beam attack so that it's actually dodgeable. Didn't realize how fast it was.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Well, I finished the first map and started the second. However, I seem to have gotten into a dead end with no escape. Firstly I explored the main area, around the central pool area, pressed the switch by the central pool, then I visited Badlands and got the yellow key before returning to the central pool area. After this I found the second portal which took me to Dead River, but I couldn't get out from the starting area. Behind me is an unpassable fence, in front of me is the tomb door which won't open, and I went around the entire rock edges pressing them all and nothing happened. I even tried using and shooting the trees and objects in the area to see if anything would cause the door to open, but nothing worked. :S

UPDATE: Well, I went through the last portal to Verag and cleared that area, getting the green key. But still, on going to Dead River the door still doesn't open so I'm trapped. I've also not yet managed to find any other switches to raise the water pillars, but that may just be that I've not looked hard enough yet.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:Well, I finished the first map and started the second. However, I seem to have gotten into a dead end with no escape. Firstly I explored the main area, around the central pool area, pressed the switch by the central pool, then I visited Badlands and got the yellow key before returning to the central pool area. After this I found the second portal which took me to Dead River, but I couldn't get out from the starting area. Behind me is an unpassable fence, in front of me is the tomb door which won't open, and I went around the entire rock edges pressing them all and nothing happened. I even tried using and shooting the trees and objects in the area to see if anything would cause the door to open, but nothing worked. :S

UPDATE: Well, I went through the last portal to Verag and cleared that area, getting the green key. But still, on going to Dead River the door still doesn't open so I'm trapped. I've also not yet managed to find any other switches to raise the water pillars, but that may just be that I've not looked hard enough yet.
A certain section of tomb wall will probably cave with a little violence. Look for a spot that looks weak.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

On the first stage, i got confused with something: There's a Mace spawn just on the first big saloon full of enemies. But sometimes i got there and there was nothing, so i revised my Heretic spawners.

Seems to be random (varying between doors and sometimes on none of them). Is the (sometimes) lack of any spawner at all, intentional? Sorry for the dumb question.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

GAA1992 wrote:On the first stage, i got confused with something: There's a Mace spawn just on the first big saloon full of enemies. But sometimes i got there and there was nothing, so i revised my Heretic spawners.

Seems to be random (varying between doors and sometimes on none of them). Is the (sometimes) lack of any spawner at all, intentional? Sorry for the dumb question.
Doesn't it normally randomly spawn? I thought that was the annoying thing about the weapon: that it didn't have a definite location, hence my having to place a bunch of them everywhere.

Or you mean the spawner itself isn't always there? It might be set to only appear in some areas on certain difficulties, which may or may not be accidental. I do that sometimes.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well, sometimes it appears on the first door, sometimes on the second, sometimes on the third, but sometimes on none of them.

I haven't really opened the actual map, but when i got there to use the weapon again and haven't found anything, i got confused and started idclip and idclev11 a lot of times to see if it was random or not. I played it with Kriegsland, which sets (basically) all the three difficulties to UV spawns.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

ImpieTwo wrote:
GAA1992 wrote:On the first stage, i got confused with something: There's a Mace spawn just on the first big saloon full of enemies. But sometimes i got there and there was nothing, so i revised my Heretic spawners.

Doesn't it normally randomly spawn? I thought that was the annoying thing about the weapon: that it didn't have a definite location, hence my having to place a bunch of them everywhere.

Or you mean the spawner itself isn't always there? It might be set to only appear in some areas on certain difficulties, which may or may not be accidental. I do that sometimes.
From the Doom Wiki:

"A notable feature of the Firemace is that it only has a ~75% chance of appearing in a level when not in the deathmatch gamemode; also, when multiple Firemaces are placed in a level, only one has a chance to appear, allowing for some minor randomization in Heretic maps. In Heretic v1.0, the surplus mace spots would spawn other objects, depending on the episode number of the map: Disciples of D'Sparil in E1, Weredragons in E2, Ophidians in E3, and (through a bug) Shadowspheres in the E4 secret slots. However, later versions removed this substitution effect, placing nothing on the extra mace spots."

I played through the first map yesterday and completely forgot about this. Was on UV and found mace ammo but no firemace. It's not your fault :P
Btw, you can type 'Items' or 'items mace' in the console, and if it was spawned, that command will reveal its coordinates :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Yeah, fire mace is annoying like that. Sucks too cos its a good backup weapon.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Okay, I found the destructible wall to get into the tomb, so I've cleared that area now. Also found all of the buttons for the water pillars, though I cannot get to the one in Verag in order to push it. I'm in the room where the Iron Lich was caged and I can see a pillar with a yellow key indicator above it and a button at the bottom, but pressing it does nothing. The area I need to get to in order to be able to walk around to the water pillar button is raised and there are no steps or anything that I can use to get up there. I also don't have a Wings of Wrath flight powerup.

Anyway, on a different note, a thought about the fire mace. If the default Heretic fire mace only has a 75% chance of appearing (probably why I haven't got one in episode 2), then could a new weapon be created by the mod that uses the same sprites, attacks, etc. as the fire mace and just spawn that in order to get around the 75% chance of appearance?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”