Doctor Who: Darkness Of The Daleks

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hidden Hands

Re: Doctor Who: Darkness Of The Daleks

Post by Hidden Hands »

Korell wrote:I remember watching that Sylvester McCoy episode. I would have been about 6 at the time. He ran up the stairs to escape, but found the door at the top locked, but then the Dalek started hovering and came up after him. Can't for the life of me remember how he got out of it though. Clearly that one moment embedded itself in my memory for the sheer horror of the Dalek going up the stairs. :P
Yes it was the cliff hanger at the end of that part. Not many people remember the Rememberance Of The Daleks hovering.

I will most likely remove their ability to go up stairs normally though I'm not sure how to pull off them hovering up them without adding a +FLOAT and a +NOGRAVITY tag... by adding these the Dalek seems to float all the time rather than just up the stairs then land again.

I like those new dalek sprites I will see if I can incorporate them as Time War Daleks if possible. I'll need to finish the sheet you linked me too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm a sucker for Doctor Who stuff so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this. I've had half a mind to try a Doctor Who conversion myself for years now (perhaps with the protagonist reporting to the Brigadier - 'cause you know, Doctor = no guns). I think if I did one these days, I'd try to get/make some dalek models (not criticising sprites, just a personal idea really).

Of course, I've always been much more of a cyberman fan. Don't get me wrong; daleks are great but I have always found the cybermen fascinating (and scary when I was a kid). Going against the flow for many Whovians, I think that the Russell T Davies era cybermen, with their stomp, stomp, stomp marching walk, were brilliant and looked superb.

And, for what it's worth, I remember seeing the earlier daleks hovering too. Of course, with modern daleks being able to hover so well and so readily, I don't know why they don't just fly everywhere. (I suppose they almost have in some episodes.)
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

I get that gameplay limitations would make it difficult, but why not let them keep the “full flight capability” that they have in the reboot (I think it’s scarier if they can get you no matter what you try & do to escape them unless you put them down, & that works even better from both a lore & game mechanic perspective since not only does the revived series of the show depict them as capable of space flight under their own power without protection, but they’ve been depicted in the franchise in general over the course of its history as having had all sorts of ways of killing adapted into both their actual body’s tentacles & their battle-suit’s systems) & make it so they can only use it when the laws of topology would allow them to do so logically, for lack of a better way to put it (ie, they’re forced to stay grounded in enclosed spaces with roofs or in cramped hallways, but they can use it in open areas or fly out of/into roofless rooms).

Also, I forgot to ask: is there a chance that we’ll see the Special Weapons Dalek appear in this? That 1 always scared the shit out of me in both concept & appearance.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Definitely keeping an eye on this one! I like the concept of the Zero Doctor. As a compromise for fans of Daleks or Cybermen, maybe stage 31 or 32 could be where the Doctor is thrown into the midst of a Dalek and Cybermen war . . .
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Ultimate Freedoomer wrote:I get that gameplay limitations would make it difficult, but why not let them keep the “full flight capability” that they have in the reboot (I think it’s scarier if they can get you no matter what you try & do to escape them unless you put them down, & that works even better from both a lore & game mechanic perspective since not only does the revived series of the show depict them as capable of space flight under their own power without protection, but they’ve been depicted in the franchise in general over the course of its history as having had all sorts of ways of killing adapted into both their actual body’s tentacles & their battle-suit’s systems) & make it so they can only use it when the laws of topology would allow them to do so logically, for lack of a better way to put it (ie, they’re forced to stay grounded in enclosed spaces with roofs or in cramped hallways, but they can use it in open areas or fly out of/into roofless rooms).

Also, I forgot to ask: is there a chance that we’ll see the Special Weapons Dalek appear in this? That 1 always scared the shit out of me in both concept & appearance.
There is every chance indeed that the special weapons Dalek will make an appearance!
Naniyue wrote:Definitely keeping an eye on this one! I like the concept of the Zero Doctor. As a compromise for fans of Daleks or Cybermen, maybe stage 31 or 32 could be where the Doctor is thrown into the midst of a Dalek and Cybermen war . . .
Now there's an interesting idea... ;)
Enjay wrote:I'm a sucker for Doctor Who stuff so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this. I've had half a mind to try a Doctor Who conversion myself for years now (perhaps with the protagonist reporting to the Brigadier - 'cause you know, Doctor = no guns). I think if I did one these days, I'd try to get/make some dalek models (not criticising sprites, just a personal idea really).

Of course, I've always been much more of a cyberman fan. Don't get me wrong; daleks are great but I have always found the cybermen fascinating (and scary when I was a kid). Going against the flow for many Whovians, I think that the Russell T Davies era cybermen, with their stomp, stomp, stomp marching walk, were brilliant and looked superb.

And, for what it's worth, I remember seeing the earlier daleks hovering too. Of course, with modern daleks being able to hover so well and so readily, I don't know why they don't just fly everywhere. (I suppose they almost have in some episodes.)
Really do love you cyberman collection, you are very much like me when it comes to things like that. I have more daleks than cybermen but i'm working on it. Just bought an electronic dalek today, in fact.
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

I recommend getting a toy Dalek from a store and "photographing" it in all eight directions, the use that as a base for your sprites.
capybard

Post by capybard »

Keeping my eye on this one! I love Doctor Who and I've always felt it'd be a great theme for a TC.

As for other types of Dalek you could include, I could see the Emperor Dalek from The Parting of the Ways as a Spiderdemon variant.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Love me some Doctor Who! Keeping an eye on this one for sure! Even made a remix of the theme if you'd like to use it. :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJuNuSJHWMc
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

The Zero Doctor Theme!

Do you plan on having at least one Tardis map? A loooong time ago, I messed with Doctor Who DooM 2, placing a bunch of Daleks in the Tardis. It was fun running around holding K9 and blasting away!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Doom Juan wrote:I recommend getting a toy Dalek from a store and "photographing" it in all eight directions, the use that as a base for your sprites.
Or even all 16 directions of you want smoother view rotation. ;)

https://zdoom.org/wiki/sprite#Angles
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

Enjay wrote:
Doom Juan wrote:I recommend getting a toy Dalek from a store and "photographing" it in all eight directions, the use that as a base for your sprites.
Or even all 16 directions of you want smoother view rotation. ;)

https://zdoom.org/wiki/sprite#Angles
Even better!
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

I do actually have a ton of dalek toys in my glass display cabinets and of most kinds so yes I could use some green screen photos on them and I might just do that. I will Check out the remix music you made PRIMEVAL and it may just make it into the game. 👍 dalek emperor from parting of the ways is set to be in this game. But i wont spoil it by saying where or how. 😉thank you for all advice and interest in this side project I will certainly keep you all updated.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

UPDATE: This game is going through some major changes. I am currently in the process of photographing and green screening the Time War Daleks for the game. These will replace the previous drawn daleks, using digitized enemies instead. There will be a large selection of variants, including a new and exclusive dalek in the game "Time War Time Lord Daleks". These are daleks that are made from genetically modified Time Lords. They will share many traits with the regular Time War Daleks, except they will have a higher HP.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Daleks made from Timelord DNA? THEY. ARE. IMPURE. THEY. MUST. BE. EXTERMINATED. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

;)
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Enjay wrote:Daleks made from Timelord DNA? THEY. ARE. IMPURE. THEY. MUST. BE. EXTERMINATED. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

;)
Haha, yes, in fact, I might even add a detail in the story that they were genetically engineered out of panic as a last resort of war and need of more soldiers.

Here is a screenshot featuring the new digitized Time War Daleks.
Attachments
Daleks against daleks
Daleks against daleks

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”