SpriteShadow v2.0 (now built into GZDoom 4.6.0!)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: SpriteShadow - Duke3D-style Shadows v1.5

Post by Rachael »

There's nothing that can be done about that, really. There's a ton of actor processing that goes into the monsters, themselves, on slaughter maps, and adding shadows right on top of that is going to cause issues. I don't know what makes such maps appealing to anyone, but all I can suggest is: either get a beefier CPU, or just don't play them with cosmetic addons.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Sorry for this month old bump but after a quick test of this with my mod, this is a fantastic and mandatory addon to use for my future videos!
Party Boy

Post by Party Boy »

Hi...

I think I'm having problems with this mod, It doesn't look like in the screenshots, looks like the light source is almost over the sprite...

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/EOAWC9W[/imgur]

I use the GZDoom last build but I tested it with the 3.2.4 stable release and it does the same thing...

What can I do to fix this?..
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Are you talking about the player's hand? That's certainly not the mod, that's because you have Bloom on (check OpenGL settings)
Party Boy

Post by Party Boy »

No, I'm talking about the shadow of that Shotgun Guy...
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to look. These are fake shadows; there's no real way to calculate actual shadows (yet). This is just a nice little bit of eye candy (and it's actually very close to the way Duke Nukem 3D did it).

8-)
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Doesn't take up much processing power either. Now, if someone could do this for System Shock 2 . . .
Nash

Post by Nash »

Someone64 wrote:Image

How to reproduce 100% consistently (using latest stable GZDoom or QZDoom): Put down the Beef Supreme turret from the latest Russian Overkill, collect the turret to get it back, instant error.
Fixed this bug. New version 1.6 is out now.
RikohZX

Re: SpriteShadow - Duke3D-style Shadows v1.6

Post by RikohZX »

Amusingly a side effect of the drawing method seems to be that these draw the shadows of 3D models too. Was playing with the Chibi Voxels when I noticed the monsters still had shadows beneath them, and (mostly) flat ones that actually look straight out of the late 90's.
Spoiler:
AlpacaNox

Post by AlpacaNox »

Any way to blacklist selected actors? Removing ISMONSTER flag seems like a weird way to do that, especially if someone'd ever consider using the mod to add shadows to static actors. Theoretically it would've been great to have a text file which would allow to add/remove shadows from the selected actors, why not?
Nash

Post by Nash »

AlpacaNox: Cool idea. I think I can come up with something. How about a custom lump, that simply lists Actor classes to exclude from shadowing? Is this an acceptable way of customization? This custom lump would have to be loaded along with SpriteShadow.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Nash wrote:AlpacaNox: Cool idea. I think I can come up with something. How about a custom lump, that simply lists Actor classes to exclude from shadowing? Is this an acceptable way of customization? This custom lump would have to be loaded along with SpriteShadow.
Yup, that sound like an easiest way of doing this, without modification of already created actors/classes. :thumb:
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'd love to have an option to shadow decorations and pickups in addition to monsters. Can't remember, does this mod shadow projectiles? If not, that'd be cool too, for rockets and such.

8-)
Nash

Re: SpriteShadow: Duke3D-like Shadows v1.7a [performance upd

Post by Nash »

I have an experimental performance update just released, v1.7a. Let me know how much (if at all) it improves things. Go to first post for download link.

Think time measurement with HolyHell.wad, MAP05 (20,000 monsters). Lower number = better (obviously):

Before: 28.93 ms
After: 14.28 ms
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: SpriteShadow: Duke3D-like Shadows v1.7a [performance upd

Post by m8f »

Results: with VSync off, difference is ~15 FPS (130 for 1.7a vs 115 for 1.6). Looks like a pretty solid performance improvement, good job!

While this mod is updated, it may be good to add NOTONAUTOMAP flag to Z_SpriteShadow class. PowerScanner is rarely used, but if it is, shadows probably shouldn't be displayed on automap.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”