Project: Kate. (v1.1)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Project: Kate. (v1.1)

Post by Jimmy »

I will make no bones about it. Kaitlyn Anne Fox was my best friend. Better than anyone I've ever known IRL. She taught me how to love and care for a human being going through an appalling personal life, and was incredibly helpful and supportive in return, in spite of everything she was going through.

And now she's gone. Her sudden departure has punched a hole in my soul.

The community has lost a beautiful imagination and an undeniable talent. I have no hope in eternity of giving a fitting tribute to her and everything that she did for me, her other friends, and the community at large - she had twice the capability of modding Doom in fun and zany ways in her little finger than I had in my whole body - but I suppose I can try.

Therefore, here is a collection of small maps that I made for her, on three separate occasions, that I am officially releasing here as Project: Kate. I know it's nothing much, and scarcely makes up for the enormity of her loss, but it's really the best I can do right now. Putting this together has sort of helped me to deal with the grief, in a weird way.

During the course of the 5 years that I came to know her personally, I made maps for her birthday on two occasions - these are the first two maps. She was always a bit funny about receiving gifts, so maddeningly I never got any definitive answer as to whether these were actually appropriate or not. But she enjoyed Doom, clearly, as she kept on playing it to the very end. I just find it such a shame that she grew so distant from the community.

The third map in this set was made after her passing. An outpouring of emotion went into this map's creation, and it may be a bit "heavy", for want of a better word, especially for those who were at all close to her. Just a warning there, I guess.

Below is the download. I have many people to thank for the resources I used herein:

CREDITS:
Jimmy - maps, MAP02 MIDI (CREDITS file in the pk3 says MAP01 MIDI, this is inaccurate)
Baratus - MAP01 map layout
supermatt314 - MAP01 MIDI (original song "Smile" by Daniel Ingram)
stewboy - MAP03 MIDI
Mechadon - MAP03 skies
AD_79 - palette
Fuzzball - new color for menu and message fonts
rf` - Rainbow Laser sprites/code
MTrop - base sprite for birthday candles
zrrion the insect - medikit and stimpack (berserk recolor by Jimmy)
NiGHTMARE - additional textures
Cage - additional textures
Cloud textures retrieved from this page.
Kate Fox - for KATEA0, the RAINBLU texture, and for inspiring and supporting me and many others for so many years.
I love you so much.

DOWNLOAD:
Download Project: Kate. (v1.1) (3.2MB)
Dropbox Mirror
GZDoom required.
Demos/videos welcome. Just please don't use mods that break the gameplay.
I'm not looking for livestreams.

Code: Select all

Name: Project: Kate
Map Formats: Boom (MAP01), UDMF (MAP02-03)
Ports Tested: GZDoom
IWAD: Doom 2
Map(s): MAP01-MAP03
Gameplay: Single player/co-op
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Multiplayer Placement: No
Build Time: Perhaps a week (or two) of mapping in total
Requirements: No jumping, no crouching, no freelook - all disabled
=====

THE MAPS:

MAP01: Grand Galloping Garden
Introduction to the general visual style I opted for. Was made for a birthday of hers back in 2015. I have my brother Baratus to thank for the basic layout, and ravagefox for the new weapon, which he made specially for this map. As for this map's name and midi choice, well, she loved the new MLP show, what can I say. A fully Boom-compatible map (including its ending sequence - done through DEHACKED) that I couldn't be bothered to convert to UDMF.

Find the CACOMANY easter egg. (not that it's easy to miss)

MAP02: The Heart Pad
I also made this for her birthday - this one is from 2014. I stayed up all night to work on this. The music is something special I made for it as well.

MAP03: For a Fallen Fox
Made after her passing. The last map in this set, it was made for the recent Abyssal Speedmapping Session 32, which occurred the day after I heard the news. I wanted to get something done in the 2(-and-a-bit) hours that I had allotted, which I could then flesh out later. This turned out to be a Boom map that I then repurposed for UDMF, but have kept the nojump, nocrouch and nofreelook restrictions (these now run through the whole mapset).

This map plays a little weirdly, yes. Believe me, every little design decision is intentional. From the arena geometry, to the lack of medikits, to the final fight, to the secret message secluded away in a private room. This is every bit my tribute to her.

=====

IN CLOSING:
I would just like to say that I fucking love this community. This last week has been the toughest time of my entire life. You've all been so supportive throughout this absolutely wretched time for me and her other closest companions, BouncyTEM especially, who has fallen upon the worst circumstances I can even begin to imagine.

Have yourselves the most positive and reassuring 2018 imaginable, and let it be a year of recovery from the grief and strife that this spectacularly dismal year has brought about. And hug your loved ones this holiday season. Life is precious.

Rest in peace, my sweet Kate. I already miss you like nothing else. I don't know when I'll stop dedicating my work to you. I loved you. I still do. I love you so fucking much.
Last edited by Jimmy on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Minigunner

Re: Project: Kate.

Post by Minigunner »

Every single bit of this has driven me to tears, only barely having enough composure to finish it. Thank you, Jimmy, for this tribute. I'm sure Kate would've loved it too.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I'll definitely give this a try sometime soon. Already gave my condolences in that other thread.

Edit: Well, I did beat it. I liked the first two maps. That first bit of platforming in Map03 was my least favorite part, though. Loved that rainbow laser weapon, though.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Wow, this is really beautiful. The sheer difficulty of For a Fallen Fox alone is truly meaningful, and the ending seriously made me cry. Thank you for the awesome maps, Jimmy.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Once again, thanks for the mod. I never would've play her project or mods!... My condolence to Wonderful lady, Kate.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Reading this definitely got me in a very sad mood, on the other hand it showed me: Even Doom legends are mortal... my condolences.
CrazyStu4

Post by CrazyStu4 »

I'll be sure to get around to playing this. My condolences to Kate.
Black Rock Shooter

Post by Black Rock Shooter »

This is the most beautiful tribute I've ever experienced. My condolences to Kate and her family, and stay strong Jimmy.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

kateandsquare.PNG
Thank you guys. Thank you Kate... :cry:
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I've spent all of today crying, thought it was over, and then that picture just started it all off again. It's beautiful, J.

Why, Kate. Why are you gone. :cry:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I... I probably made you even more saddened. Didn't i? I did not wanted you to be more sad and devastated. Because this is my last contribute i can do for Kate and you. Got worse or not, i hope it's worth it at least...

And NO. She's not gone. Only in real life. She'll always exist in our undying, happy memories. Please, get well soon. I'm sure she's still wants you to be happy.
Jimmy

Re: Project: Kate. (v1.1)

Post by Jimmy »

v1.1 of this has been uploaded, and this is the version that will go on the Doomworld database.

Download Project: Kate. (v1.1) (3.2MB)
Dropbox Mirror

I didn't keep a changelog and quite frankly don't have the strength.

If you play this at all, please play this version. Thanks.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

God damn it I swear every time I upload something I find a problem with the map(s).

Just hotfixed v1.1, same download. All it does is change a couple of torches in MAP03 to be blue instead, since the palette change makes the dynamic lights look dumb if you have them on. Sorry.

Captain J: Don't worry about it. I'm in a highly emotional state right now but I truly love to see the outpouring of support and love for my dear friend. This community is truly something special.
Orka

Post by Orka »

I didn't really know Kate personally, the only thing that I knew was Error: Doom and I had fun playing with it. I feel a little bit uncomfortable that I didn't know her and I feel very sad at the same time. It's a huge loss, things like that are not supposed to be happening and these are the moments I ask the creator of our world -whoever he/she is- "Was this really necessary?" I am not religious but I believe in something... and that something decided to take Kate away from us all. Her loss is very unfair but I always remind myself that the god-like-being knew what he/she was doing. By taking Kate away her loved ones' heart is surely under huge weight right now but as the ending says it's no more nightmares for Kate... I also believe we will meet our loved ones again in a much better world than this... This world is terrible but leaving it is also terrible... I hope the best for her friends, for her family and for you guys, you are a great community. Stay strong. You did a great work Jimmy.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I once made a birthday level for my brother, so this hit close to home.
Thank you for sharing this creative tribute. My thoughts are with you!

Return to “Levels”