Free Model Painter

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Exosphere

Free Model Painter

Post by Exosphere »

Are there any programs that can paint directly on models, to create textures fairly easily and also paint in fairly low resolution, so I can make textures similar to models from Quake 1 and 2? A bonus would be if the program is free.
Nash

Re: Free Model Painter

Post by Nash »

Blender.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

I've honestly had more success just drawing textures by hand and planning my UV maps beforehand than ever using Blender's texture painter. I can't get quite wrangle that thing, and I've heard it's less than ideal to use Blender's texture painter anyways.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Jaxxoon R wrote:I've honestly had more success just drawing textures by hand and planning my UV maps beforehand than ever using Blender's texture painter. I can't get quite wrangle that thing, and I've heard it's less than ideal to use Blender's texture painter anyways.
Depends. I find hand-painting the basic colours in the 3D view to be a very comfortable and relaxing process.
Exosphere

Post by Exosphere »

I am aware that Blender does have a model painting mode, but I am looking for a standalone model painter that is simpler to use, has Photoshop-esqe tools, and can paint on .md3 models.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Jaxxoon R wrote:I've honestly had more success just drawing textures by hand and planning my UV maps beforehand than ever using Blender's texture painter. I can't get quite wrangle that thing, and I've heard it's less than ideal to use Blender's texture painter anyways.
i too am in the "what the hell is happening with this program" club. i cant get blender to unwrap a model properly to save my life.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Mudbox is free if you have a student account at an University, with the agreement that you can't sell your stuff commercially.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

there's paint 3d that came with one of the window 10 updates, it seems to be useful to paint models with it

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”