Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by faslrn »

lwks wrote:
faslrn wrote:Weird colours right? Need to convert the sprites to PNG I believe.
So why isn't this by default?
Any wads that would use colour translations (like Colourful Hell) to take the default monster sprites and apply a colour too them wouldn't work at all then. Having the sprites as the standard Graphic (DOOM) option allows for greater compatibility.
wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

Trusty McLegit wrote:Trying to run this wad with a voxel mod results in both style barrels flashing between eachother. Anyway to avoid this other than editing one of the files?
I ran into this problem too.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Voxel mods don't replace the actors (usually) and instead they replace the frames that things use. The smooth doom barrel uses more frames but the voxel mod only has 2 or so frames of animation, so it can't replace all the frames in the animation.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

zrrion the insect wrote:Voxel mods don't replace the actors (usually) and instead they replace the frames that things use. The smooth doom barrel uses more frames but the voxel mod only has 2 or so frames of animation, so it can't replace all the frames in the animation.
I haven't looked at the voxel mod yet, but based on this information I would say your best bet for a compatibility patch would be to modify the voxel actor to have all the extra frames that the smooth doom barrel has.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

I’m gonna download and play with this tomorrow.

But dude next time you do a video do me a favor and slow down so I can actually see what the hell is going on haha
lwks

Post by lwks »

Will it take too long until the next update? It's been a couple of months so I'm curious.
lwks

Post by lwks »

PerilousPear wrote:There's a chance a spectre will continue to hunt you down as a ghost monster (no pun intended) even after you killed it.

It's probably due to gibbing it with a super-shotgun. I disabled that option and it doesn't happen anymore. Prior to that it happened twice, on the same map. I know it's a normal bug as well when an archvile resurrects a monster, but there are no archviles on the map, and the bug doesn't occur with any other monster.
Are you sure the SS Gib is the source of the error? Maybe it's just that the error is so random that you didn't see it twice. How can you be so sure? It happened to me just now, three immortal spectres that didn't count as monsters, "kill monsters" or "mdk" did not kill them.
Edit: This is a nasty bug, if anyone knows the fix please share with us.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

lwks wrote:
PerilousPear wrote:There's a chance a spectre will continue to hunt you down as a ghost monster (no pun intended) even after you killed it.

It's probably due to gibbing it with a super-shotgun. I disabled that option and it doesn't happen anymore. Prior to that it happened twice, on the same map. I know it's a normal bug as well when an archvile resurrects a monster, but there are no archviles on the map, and the bug doesn't occur with any other monster.
Are you sure the SS Gib is the source of the error? Maybe it's just that the error is so random that you didn't see it twice. How can you be so sure? It happened to me just now, three immortal spectres that didn't count as monsters, "kill monsters" or "mdk" did not kill them.
Edit: This is a nasty bug, if anyone knows the fix please share with us.
IIRC it happens with SSG gibbing enabled. If you're not in the radius to gib it and reduce its HP to zero, it doesn't enter its normal death state and from then on roams the map for all Eternity (heh) with no way of killing it. Hitscans, projectiles, the player and monsters will pass through it and splash damage doesn't affect it either.

EDIT: I just double checked and was able to replicate it by 100%.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Ok, I got it, so is there any way to solve the problem?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

The solution to this issue has been found a few pages earlier by Blue Shadow.
Blue Shadow wrote:The lack of a Goto Death at the end of the spectre's Death.GibbyHaynes state sequence is what's causing the "ghost" spectres issue.
NathanVPer

Post by NathanVPer »

Can i run this with ZDoom?(NO GZDOOM)or another version that will work with it?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NathanVPer wrote:Can i run this with ZDoom?(NO GZDOOM)or another version that will work with it?
Why no GZDoom? You know GZDoom still has the software renderer in it, right?
lwks

Post by lwks »

Blue Shadow wrote:The lack of a Goto Death at the end of the spectre's Death.GibbyHaynes state sequence is what's causing the "ghost" spectres issue.
About the immortal Spectre bug, THIS solves the problem.
Though I don't get why, the normal demon also doesn't have "Goto Death" in the end of the Death.GibbyHaynes state and it behaves properly.
I think the OP should be updated with this. This is a nasty bug.

PS.: Just to share with you huy, I could not replicate this bug using "summon spectre", summoned 100 and no one glitched. But when I loaded my custom map with 3500 Spectres it didn't take long until the first glitched Spectre appeared.
Korell

Post by Korell »

lwks wrote:
About the immortal Spectre bug, THIS solves the problem.
Though I don't get why, the normal demon also doesn't have "Goto Death" in the end of the Death.GibbyHaynes state and it behaves properly.
I think the OP should be updated with this. This is a nasty bug.

PS.: Just to share with you huy, I could not replicate this bug using "summon spectre", summoned 100 and no one glitched. But when I loaded my custom map with 3500 Spectres it didn't take long until the first glitched Spectre appeared.
This was already discussed (a fair few pages back now though). It's to do with the flow from one state to the next, so if a state ends without a goto then it flows into the next state. If you compare the Demon and the Spectre states you'll see that they are in a different order. This is the bug. Put the spectre's states into the same order as the Demon's and the issue goes away. Here's my previous post about it.
Spoiler:
lwks

Post by lwks »

Korell wrote:
Blue Shadow wrote:Without a flow control keyword to direct to the next state, they fall through to the Death state, since that's the state that comes next.
Which is why I re-ordered the GibbyHaynes state in the smoothspectre actor so that it comes before Death state, just as it does for the SmoothDemon actor, but JohnnyTheWolf was saying that it still didn't fix it.
Sorry I just got a little confused because of this. I was even going to ask why changing the order of the states wouldn't fix the bug, but I just read the next comment lol.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”