[Community Project] The 20 Heretics Challenge [Released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Community Project] The 20 Heretics Challenge

Post by Rachael »

Added a standardized texture pack for the project. The plan is to prune it out when we're done.

If anyone uses ACS to change textures, please let me know so that I don't accidentally prune those out.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

What is our level structure going to be? Are we gonna do 42 maps like last time?
Count me in, though, hopefully I can do something this Christmas before my midterms.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's going to be a single episode, like Doom 2. Maps will be MAP##.
lwks

Post by lwks »

And what about the slots? I'm thinking about making 1~3 consecutive maps, but for now I'm wondering if I can do it though :?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If they need to be kept together that can be done
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Oh boy! I sure would love to test all those maps :3
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Count me in.
Crazy Toni

Post by Crazy Toni »

20 monster map challenge for heretic? ...sure, why not.
Count me in.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Jesus Christ, I spent waaaaaaaaaaay too long compiling this so I hope everyone uses it. It's a semi-official prop pack for the project and I went way the hell overboard on its contents. Pretty much everything backported from Hexen, as well as most things from Shadowcaster, some applicable props from Blood, Necrodome, MARS 3D and Quarantine 2, and some add-on props from Mor'ladim. Good lord. Everyone download this goddamned thing.

Download: 20 Heretics Prop Pack
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thank you, Zero! I hope to see people make good use of this, since Heretic did have very few props.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Updated. Extended deadline by 1 week. Apparently, school term-endings is a big issue in the original time period. Also put ZXD's decoration pack in the first post.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Changed one rule:
  • A maximum of 5 of your 20 monsters may be higher tier (i.e. fireball imps, ghost revenants, ghost and/or "leader" golems). If you include a boss this goes down to 4.
  • (UPDATE: The above rule was changed) Your map needs to be beatable without cheats. If you pit the player against tough monsters, give them tough weapons to match.
This is a little bit more lax, and should give you a bit easier access to Heretic's beastiary - as long as you make each encounter beatable it's okay to use pretty much any non-boss monster.
lwks

Post by lwks »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Jesus Christ, I spent waaaaaaaaaaay too long compiling this so I hope everyone uses it. It's a semi-official prop pack for the project and I went way the hell overboard on its contents. Pretty much everything backported from Hexen, as well as most things from Shadowcaster, some applicable props from Blood, Necrodome, MARS 3D and Quarantine 2, and some add-on props from Mor'ladim. Good lord. Everyone download this goddamned thing.

Download: 20 Heretics Prop Pack
Oh, this is great. The best part is that it's lightweight so Rachael won't need to filter this in the final release to save some bytes. :D

I think it'd be a good idea if we just listed the name of the textures we're using and send them to Rachael alongside our final maps. Will it make your life easier?

Edit: Will we have a great finale like we had in the original project? Who's going to make it?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was thinking about a finale, yes, but I haven't decided who's going to make it.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Just a heads up: I threw a bunch of additional shit in the props pack that I wasn't able to get in last night because of how tired I was. This should be the last time I update it. It's at the same download link, so just grab it again.

Return to “Levels”