[WIP] Improved crouch sprites for zd_extra.pk3

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

[WIP] Improved crouch sprites for zd_extra.pk3

Post by Nash »

Working on better crouch sprites for zd_extra.pk3. Made with a combination of 3D modeling and frankenspriting. Most of the body is modeled, ensuring better rotation perspective, and animation (well, as best as my rigging skills will go).

I hope to do all the Raven and Strife player classes with the same technique too.
Arctangent

Re: [WIP] Improved crouch sprites for zd_extra.pk3

Post by Arctangent »

These look waaaaay too tall for a 28-unit tall hitbox.

Also, there's something really unDoom-like about the shading on the back.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Admittedly did not spend too much time texturing the armor, this is still a rough pass. Will make the armor match Doom's shading.

About it being too tall, perhaps I will try to re-pose the character. It's kinda hard to squash it down to 28 units while still trying to keep it looking physically correct...

Also realize the boot and belt colour is too saturated compared to the vanilla sprite, will have to fix that.

Any other suggestions welcome!
Cromunism

Post by Cromunism »

I think it would make criticism or analysis easier if you included a picture in the OP of the current crouch sprites for comparison, and maybe an in game picture to better get an idea of scale. I don't play deathmatch or co op, so I didn't even know what the current crouch sprites looked like, and had to look them up.

As for my opinion on the sprites, the only thing that kind of jumps out at me is the gun. The default doom sprite has a rifle where the main part of it (the gun minus the barrel, not sure if this has an actual name) is much thicker, and has a smaller barrel. With its thinner look and longer barrel, the new sprite kind of looks like a sniper rifle, especially in the third sprite on the top row. Because of its different proportions and slightly darker colors, it seems like it has a slightly lower level of detail compared to the normal doom sprite.

This might be more personal prefrence or look better in motion, but the way he is holding his gun in the second and third sprite on the top looks a little strange, as if he is trying to hold his gun too far away from himself. In comparison, the first sprite first row and first sprite second row feel more natural, and look better posed for him to deal with recoil.

I know that sounds like a lot of criticism, but I think the sprites mostly look good, it's just one or two little things that stuck out to me that seemed odd.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

The issue that really sprung to me was with the 4th sprite. The rifle doesn't appear to be in perspective with the direction DoomGuy is facing. Maybe angle the rifle up a little?

As I am unfamiliar with the original crouch sprites I am not sure if that is also the case with the originals.

Keep up the good work Nash. I am sure at the end it will be amazing. :D
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Got 8 rotations set up here?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

For the frontal view, the crotch plate seems to be missing.

Otherwise I am liking it so far.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”