[BETA] DEAD MARINE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [BETA] DEAD MARINE

Post by Matt »

Really liking those little particle effects.

The zoom recoil seems a bit much for the pistol and fist but mileages vary.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Yeah, I'm still not super pleased with the fist. Hopefully I can find a more natural configuration of it in future updates.

Also wow, thank you and nice work on the addons, you guys! I definitely want to add more gore options/more custom animated stuff, so this will be a nice resource or at least source of ideas for the future. And as for the assault rifle, I don't really want to change the Doom2 weapon set, but I actually have been thinking of including an alpha-themed weapon set in the future, as part of a rebalanced mode.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Gifty wrote:Yeah, I'm still not super pleased with the fist. Hopefully I can find a more natural configuration of it in future updates.

Also wow, thank you and nice work on the addons, you guys! I definitely want to add more gore options/more custom animated stuff, so this will be a nice resource or at least source of ideas for the future. And as for the assault rifle, I don't really want to change the Doom2 weapon set, but I actually have been thinking of including an alpha-themed weapon set in the future, as part of a rebalanced mode.
Not to be too intrusive, but you could possibly port the Rifle on/off code from SmoothDoom if you ever wished to include it. I'd recommend giving the rifle zombies +5 health on the rifle-dropping actors if that's the case, though, since I think the "one-two punch" always feels nicer. I know nothing about ACS, but I'm planning on changing that, and I can make the necessary edits myself if that's the case. I'm thinking of making more guns for DEAD MARINE if you're okay with it; things like the pump-action double-barrel shotgun, a "proper" chainsaw-grip minigun with a high rate of fire, a submachine gun, and other such items.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

there should be an option for that gore addon from the last 2 pages that lets us toggle between hitbox dismemberment and random dismemberment.
TheEternalStruggler

Post by TheEternalStruggler »

Hai yo! You summoned me. I'm a first-time modder, so IDK how exactly I'd code in hitbox dismemberment, and also IDK if there's a way I could make an option for random dismemberment vs hitbox dismemberment when I code in hitbox dismemberment. :P

Also to Retraux Squid love the ideas, is there a way it could be compatible with my gore addon so I don't have to keep copying the code, sprites, sounds, etc.etc.etc. into my gore addon just to have some cool weapons? XD
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

0.9.2 is here today. Not a huge update, but some goodies!

changelog:

-slightly louder armor/health pickups
-new imp death animation (by vader/itsnaturetodie)
-lowered altdeath probability slightly
-added lava melting animations for new death animations
-tac-hud now feeds you monster count at level start
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

TheEternalStruggler wrote:Hai yo! You summoned me. I'm a first-time modder, so IDK how exactly I'd code in hitbox dismemberment, and also IDK if there's a way I could make an option for random dismemberment vs hitbox dismemberment when I code in hitbox dismemberment. :P

Also to Retraux Squid love the ideas, is there a way it could be compatible with my gore addon so I don't have to keep copying the code, sprites, sounds, etc.etc.etc. into my gore addon just to have some cool weapons? XD
I know Brutal Doom did its hitbox systems by having constantly-spawned hitboxes- every ten or twenty frames in each state of a monster, it would spawn new hitboxes for its head, legs, etc. This allows relatively forgiving and "accurate" hitboxes that work quite well, even if it expands monster code by a bit. BD uses these to confer extra damage in certain locations, but these hitboxes can be used just as easily to make unique deaths- for instance, you have a death in your mod in which a zombie's head explodes IIRC. That would be what a killing hit to the head of a zombie trooper would go to, instead of a usual death.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Isn't there a universal headshot script or something that's supposed to work a lot more efficiently than BD's code?

And thanks for the update Gifty, all good changes!
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Is the lava melting animations for enemies or just the player? Because I haven't seen any yet.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Yep, it's just for enemies. You have to kill a smaller enemy (zombies, imps etc.) over lava for it to work!
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Gifty wrote:Yep, it's just for enemies. You have to kill a smaller enemy (zombies, imps etc.) over lava for it to work!
Neat. Does it work for Nukage and Blood as well?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Just lava and nukage so far.
Fabricator

Post by Fabricator »

Pretty sweet little vanilla enhancement mod, got a spot in my autoload queue for sure!

A huge fan in particular of the enhanced sounds, and the gore system. The fallen UAC marine names are neat too, are the names sourced from the DOOM novels and DOOM 3 PDAs? Some of them seem vaguely familiar, could be my mind playing tricks on me though!

Really adds a much needed punch to the vanilla experience we all and love, but isn't excessively flashy and keeps the same DOOM-y vibe. Almost feels like stuff the guys at id would have implemented, had they an extra month for further polish.
To echo some of the sentiments already shared; Smooth Doom compatibility, floor / ceiling decals and brightmaps would really tie everything together nicely... not that there isn't already a whole lot to like here!

Super cool, great work!
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

love it
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

This is probably my favorite gameplay mod to ever use with Doom! It's exactly how I imagined original ID software wanted to make Doom.

The ambience noises, the PDF names for dead marines, the particle effects, the beefy and original sounds, everything conspires to create such a tense and violent atmosphere that fits the game perfectly.

Edit: I should mention the HUD doesn't seem to scale right with the resolution. I usually play 1280x720 windowed and some of the HUD is cut off because of it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”