The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 13 11/14/2021 Options

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 5 8/10/2017

Post by Brohnesorge »

insightguy wrote: What? I don't even...
We've been playing a lot of Girls Frontline (which is whats inspiring me to come back to this mod and has given me some ideas for features) and when I asked him he said,
"MP5 because she is precious and I must protect her, even in other games!"

To which I replied, "No, UMP45 because she's a classy lady and I'm not a flithly lolicon."

Needless to say it went nowhere.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Told you UMP45 is better. ;)
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Just pushed the new update to Git master branch, go pick it up!

Code: Select all

-Baikal MP-133
--Raised shell count to 25/50

-SPAS-12
--New sprites!
--Now uses its own ammo.
--Moved to Slot 0
--Damage raised, spread tightened, and pellet count down.
--Get extra SPAS shells from Shell Boxes, SPAS drops and Backpacks.

-MBT LAW
--Changed back to old sprites.

-Misc.
--AUSPEX added! Spawns over the Allmap. Gives Allmap and Scanner.
--Pickup sound and message added to backpack.
I'll admit some of the new SPAS animations are a little...clunky, but they work and its good enough for me for now. I maaaaay have made it a little too strong but we'll see how it goes and what not. Basically to sum it up, it now uses flechette (or whatever) shells which are only found in ammo boxes, and is a much more unique weapon now, instead of merely being a fast shotgun.

Speaking of, the next update will be a remake of sorts for the shotgun. I'm changing around its powerups to include slam firing. Which I just learned about and as such want to implement.

I'll leave the poll up for a few more days before I close it and start working on whatever wins.
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 6 18/11/2017

Post by potetobloke »

I think I found a bug, the offset for the rocket launcher upgrade is misaligned and uses the wrong pickup sprite.
(It's using the DN3D RPG pickup sprite rather than the Amuscaria/Eriance RL sprite.)
Spoiler: Screenshot in spoiler
sturmtruppen141

Post by sturmtruppen141 »

I'm sorry to interrupt but where can i download the mod? Im kinda confuse on the link you posted. Or is it a close beta?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

There's a link just under the logo in the main post.
Then you click this:
Spoiler:
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

potetobloke wrote:I think I found a bug, the offset for the rocket launcher upgrade is misaligned and uses the wrong pickup sprite.
(It's using the DN3D RPG pickup sprite rather than the Amuscaria/Eriance RL sprite.)
Spoiler: Screenshot in spoiler

Whoops, forgot to change a B to an A. Fixed.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Very interesting turnout for the poll. I intended to close it on Wednesday, but it was still pretty active then so I left it up a whole week. Thank you all for participating!

As it stands between a tie of UMP45 and Both, this is how I'll handle it: Both will be added as starting classes, but the UMP45 will be added first (today or tomorrow sometime) and sometime during the next week or two, the MP5 will replace the Carbine as a starting weapon, and the Carbine will be moved to Slot 4.

Exact specs of the weapons is still being worked out but it'll be about as follows. Includes what changes will be done to the Carbine and the M249 to accommodate the slot move:
Spoiler: Spoilered in case you want to be surprised
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Alright so it took longer then expected to get the animations looking right AND I was busy as hell these last few days but I just pushed Update 7 to the master branch, so go pick it up.

--UMP45
-SMG changed from MP7 to UMP45!
-Increased damage, lowered RoF, increased recoil, lowered accuracy
-25 Mag capacity, 30 with upgrade
-New animations and ""new"" edited sprites
-New sounds

-G36C
--Name changed from FX05 to G36C. Only a name change. For now.

-L115A1 Long Range Rifle
--Zoom resets when switching/quick drawing/grenade throwing/most things becuase I didn't test enough...at least it should.

-DM51 Hand Grenades
--No longer disappear when hitting liquids.

-Misc.
--Bullet weapons can no longer gib enemies.
--Various item sounds!
--Decals are a little smaller
Have fun with it and as always, keep me posted. Next update I plan on some polish things. Things like casings for the UMP45 and the L115A1, quick drawing melee while you have the pistol, things like that. Also, slam firing. I promised it, now I swear I'll get it in next update! MP5 will be the update after, more then likely; depends on my schedule this week and next week.

ALSO in the future, I'm thinking of adding more "tactical" equipment, so I'm open for your ideas! So far, stuff I have in mind is a stun grenade/flashbang that stuns enemies for a bit, a smoke grenade that slows enemies while they are in its area of effect (to simulate being confused and unable to see), a deployable turret a la Aliens, C4 that you can place and detonate, and Claymores/Landmines.
Brohnesorge

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 8 3/12/2017

Post by Brohnesorge »

New update pushed to the master branch now. This one focusing on shotguns.

--UMP45
-Casings added.

--Winchester Model 1912
-Changed shotgun to Winchester Model 1912! How is such a old weapon in Doom? ...Don't worry about it.
-Magazine size raised to 6
-Spread tightened.
-Recoil reduced.
-Pellet count down to the actual amount of pellets in a shell. Not sure how I missed it.
-Power upgrade changed : Slam Firing!
-Speed upgrade sped up.

--SPAS-12
-Pellet count waaaaaaay up.
-Individual pellet damage way down.
-Recoil greatly reduced.
-Spread tightened.

--L11whatevernumberthefuckingsniperrifle
-Casings added.

--Misc
-All bullet weapons no longer thrust enemies.
-HUD tweaks.
-New M_DOOM thanks to Lud
I won't lie, there are some changes here that some might question. Allow me to in a probably long winded post that will be TLDR'd explain.
TL,DR: I learned some not commonly known REALISM stuff.

Long version: So first, the shotgun has been changed almost completely. It's still a shotgun, but now I actually did some research instead of kinda guess. Like learning that 9 pellets is the standard for shotguns, thus me lowering the pellet count. And my guess of individual pellets doing about as much as a 9mm being (probably) not far from the truth; shotguns have a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/s, which is around what a Beretta M9 (the pistol of the mod) is, and a 00 shot pellet is about the same size as a 9mm bullet (same as the M9...again) so logic dictates that it would do the same damage (5-15) just with 9 of them instead of one. This does nerf the damage quite a bit, but it's still pretty comfortable. You can still kill zombies in 1 shot, and pinkies in 2, so I'm okay with it. Also, it can slam fire with the Red Upgrade. And slam firing is cool. Its where you hold down the trigger, and pump, and the gun shoots as it pumps. It's dangerous as all hell, and tears the gun up, but for the context of Doom, I'm not worried about it. It was a predecessor to automatic shotguns in WWI with this very gun, even if it was a design oversite.

Shotguns are also a hell of a lot more accurate then I previously thought. Video games, Doom included, tend to over exaggerate the spread. By a lot. Like with a full choke, the spread of a shotgun is 40 inches after 40 meters, or roughly 120 feet. While it's hard to tell distances in Doom, because nothing is to scale and a lot of maps are kinda esoteric, I think I've gotten close. Well, close-ish. I'm making some assumptions about a modernized Model 1912's choke. But considering it's unrealistic that such old gun would be still used in the far off year of Doom, I gave myself some lee-way on this one.

Flechettes are also not nearly as good as one might think. A number of reports show that they tend to fail to stay straight, and don't do nearly the amount of damage of buckshot. Many a report involving a flechette penetrating a target, but failing to inflict enough trauma to drop the target, allowing them to continue fighting until bleed out, which is a mechanic I'm not interested in adding to Soldier Z. And that's if the flechette even penetrates. They often turn sideways and then hit the target, which does jack and shit, or only penetrate tip deep, failing to inflict any sort of major wound. But fucking TWENTY of the things are packed into a shell, instead of merely 9. So to prevent the SPAS from being useless and so I didn't have to revert my rework of it, I made some more assumptions about flechette development over the years. The performance of them assumes them working 100% as intended. Less damage then a 00 shot, but tighter spread and less recoil.

Speaking of, recoil has largely been reduced because I make a comment in the M249's description that your cybernetic augments allow you to mange the recoil better and use it on foot. So, why wouldn't they also reduce the recoil from a shotgun? Simple answer: they wouldn't, so for consistencies sake, the recoil has been reduced. I'm probably going to go back and do the same with every other gun.

Finally, the last change that I feel I must address is the change of bullet weapons not pushing enemies anymore. I want to clarify that this doesn't mean they don't flinch; enemies still enter the pain state, and can still be stun locked with certain weapons (Cacos and the M249, anyone?), but they won't be pushed back. Why? Bullets don't do that. Most of the energy in a bullet is spent splitting skin and bone. It's like getting poked with a needle as opposed to getting punched. Targets hit by bullets just crumple; they don't go flying back in any capacity. With vests, they do, because the energy gets spread out, resulting in it being like getting punched in the chest with a big fist. Knocks you on your ass. But getting knocked down and maybe breaking a rib is a hell of a lot better then a hole through your chest, lungs, ribs and back.

Finally super huge special thanks to Lud for the new logo. I asked for it as a joke on Discord and he delivered.

Coming next is the MP5 class update, so prepare your bodies. It might take me extra long to get it out, but I'll be working hard at it when I can all week.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

So finaly played the new update and i don't see anything worng with it. The shotgun even with its nerf fells powerfull still even with the lesser pellet amount.

Also i love the new sprite for the SPAS. now the only thing that feels missing is some type of taticool gadgets. like mines and other types of high-tech portables like shileld walls?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

What about...drones!?

Ideas:
  • Drones
  • Spider mines (jump up and leap towards target if it's in range, see Starcraft Spider Mines for reference)
  • Portable shield that can be placed (Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 had some of those)
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Tactical equipment is in the brainstorming phase right now, as I also feel it would help round out the mod. I won't put a time frame on it as I'm working on the MP5K right now, and plan on going back to Baron for a bit after that, but it is coming.

I do like the drones idea, I might play around with that sooner rather then later.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Okay so I don't have an update for people to download yet, not fully anyway, but I do have a bit of a progress report to make.

Cue MP5K video! Very WIP still; Knife isn't fully where I want it to be and it needs SFX and puff VFX (the knife, not the gun).

It'll probably still be next week before the update fully hits, but I'l be slowly leaking stuff to the WIP branch of the Git, if you want to keep an eye out and play the features as they hit. For once, stuff is just taking longer to do because it just is, instead of my usual thing of "this would take someone else a day to do but I'm a very slow and easily distracted coder so it takes me a week".
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Just pushed Update 9 to the master branch! It's a big one, so go pick that shit up! Its finally the MP5K update.

--Melee
-Kickback added to the...well, kick
-Added knife slash into the combo
-Having 1 or more 'counters' when you combo finish will do a knife slash, then kick
-You'll chain punch flurry into knife into kick when you have several counters
-Can interupt chain punch with a normal punch
-Sounds updated
-Wall hitting sounds...activated. I...may have had the puff named wrong

--MP5K
-MP5K added!
-Is an alternate starting class to the UMP45
-5-15 damage, 1000 RPM, 30 mag capacity
-Alt-fire to quick knife slash
-Power upgrade is increased performance
-Utility upgrade is extended mags
-Speed upgrade is faster grenade throws

--M9A3
-Can 'quick draw' melee by pressing Zoom. You don't drop the pistol.
-Slightly increased recoil
-Alt fire quick knife added

--UMP45
-Semi auto fire added.
-Fire rate raised to the RL value of 600 RPM.
-Power upgrade accuracy and damage increased slightly.
-Fixed bug that caused you to start with 30 bullets in magazine.

--G36
-G36C updated to a full size G36
-Moved to Slot 4
-Shares spawns with M249
-Damage raised
-Accuracy raised
-Recoil reduced
-Now uses unique magazines
-One in the chamber mechanics added.
-Upgrades changed. Red - Accuracy up Blue - Noise Down Green - Fast Reload

--M249
-Upgrades removed
-Mag size raised to 800
-Uses backpacks as magazines
-Accuracy increased. People were already bitching about it being too accurate, so this should go well.
-Can only carry one spare backpack, that you find with...well...backpacks
-Penetrates all the time instead of with upgrade 
-YOU DO NOT LOSE THE BACKPACK EFFECT IF YOU RELOAD THE M249 AND SPEND THE BACKPACK

--MBT LAW
-Damage, both direct and explosive, increased
-Upgrades removed
-Rocket ignition time decreased
-Rocket post ignition speed increased
-Is now disposable. You fire once, then discard it
-Rocket spawns now spawn grenades instead
-Rocket boxes now spawn MBT LAWs

--Archmage
-Updated with the heat mechanics of the Sorcerer
-Dryfire added
-CLASSIFIED

--The Eye
-It cannot be trusted.

--L115A1
-One in the chamber mechanics added. If you reload with at least 1 bullet left, it'll stay in the chamber, making your reload faster and the next mag being 6 shots...or rather 5+1.
-Shares spawns with MBT LAW

--SPAS-12
-Increased spread greatly.
-Spread mechanics changed.
-One in the chamber mechanics added. Beware ugly ass animation.
-Reload sped up to be the same as the M1912.
-Now semi-auto instead of full auto

--Misc
-Bullet Buff VFX tweaked
-M249 Box Mags changed to Magazine Boxes. Magazine Boxes give 3 SMG Mags, 2 G36 Mags and 1 Sniper Mag
-Mag Box sprite updated
-SMG Mag sprite updated
Alright, go nuts.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”