[INACTIVE] Doomzone v1.8.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doomzone Mod (TNT Patch Added)

Post by StroggVorbis »

I wanted to report some issues, hope you don't mind :o

1. In Doomzone and Quakestyle/ZX/Unbound, almost everything has the +COUNTITEM flag, which makes you unable to complete a map with 100% items, when you're full on ammo or there are weapon drops out of reach.

2. In all of these mods, the randomspawners don't have the SXF_NoCheckPosition flag, causing many monsters to not spawn, despite there being enough room for them. Noticed this in stock Doom II Maps.

3. Probably due to the way your randomspawners are set up, for example in MAP32: Hectic of D64R: Consolation Version, collecting the key in the area with the berserk and the hell knights either doesn't cause the door to close or it opens immediately after, without having to kill the hell knights.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:I wanted to report some issues, hope you don't mind :o

1. In Doomzone and Quakestyle/ZX/Unbound, almost everything has the +COUNTITEM flag, which makes you unable to complete a map with 100% items, when you're full on ammo or there are weapon drops out of reach.

2. In all of these mods, the randomspawners don't have the SXF_NoCheckPosition flag, causing many monsters to not spawn, despite there being enough room for them. Noticed this in stock Doom II Maps.

3. Probably due to the way your randomspawners are set up, for example in MAP32: Hectic of D64R: Consolation Version, collecting the key in the area with the berserk and the hell knights either doesn't cause the door to close or it opens immediately after, without having to kill the hell knights.
I no longer develop for the QuakeStyle series of mods. ZX and Unbound are handled by XTerra1 and That Blind Guy. The original version of QuakeStyle is provided as a legacy mod, and it will not be receiving any updates from myself. I will, however send this information to the devs of the child mods.

1.) In terms of Doomzone, I can verify that ammo pickups do not have the +COUNTITEM flag.
2.) RandomSpawners do not call A_SpawnItem or A_SpawnItemEX, therefore they do not use SXF_NoCheckPosition. Additionally, I haven't observed this behavior in any of my testing.
3.) I'll have to take a look at the scripts for Hectic to see if I can fix that. On what difficulty are you playing on? Different spawners are used for higher difficulties.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

silentzora wrote: I no longer develop for the QuakeStyle series of mods. ZX and Unbound are handled by XTerra1 and That Blind Guy. The original version of QuakeStyle is provided as a legacy mod, and it will not be receiving any updates from myself. I will, however send this information to the devs of the child mods.

1.) In terms of Doomzone, I can verify that ammo pickups do not have the +COUNTITEM flag.
2.) RandomSpawners do not call A_SpawnItem or A_SpawnItemEX, therefore they do not use SXF_NoCheckPosition. Additionally, I haven't observed this behavior in any of my testing.
3.) I'll have to take a look at the scripts for Hectic to see if I can fix that. On what difficulty are you playing on? Different spawners are used for higher difficulties.
You can ignore my last post, I didn't think it through. :oops:

I'll try to explain it as best as I can:

Not all spawners in Doomzone are Randomspawners, the ones that cause issues are those that inherit from Healthbonus. They indeed call SpawnItemEx and apparently they are also checked as activators for scripts instead of the things they spawn. This is probably the reason why Hectic's door to the blue key opens right after closing and not after killing every monster. These spawners stay on the map, they can be seen on the automap via iddt or am_cheat 2. They have the +countitem flag and affect your item tally. When touched they disappear.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Germany and this is my first time ever registering at a forum. I apologize for the inconvenience.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:You can ignore my last post, I didn't think it through. :oops:

I'll try to explain it as best as I can:

Not all spawners in Doomzone are Randomspawners, the ones that cause issues are those that inherit from Healthbonus. They indeed call SpawnItemEx and apparently they are also checked as activators for scripts instead of the things they spawn. This is probably the reason why Hectic's door to the blue key opens right after closing and not after killing every monster. These spawners stay on the map, they can be seen on the automap via iddt or am_cheat 2. They have the +countitem flag and affect your item tally. When touched they disappear.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Germany and this is my first time ever registering at a forum. I apologize for the inconvenience.
I see. Well, I think I've got the Hell Knight issue worked out, at least. All I needed to do for that was transfer the TID from the spawner to the enemy. Not too big a deal, took a look at the scripts and it just checks to see if any actors with a TID of 16 are still alive. Should be fixed in the next update.

While item spawners do inherit from HealthBonus, they have the COUNTITEM flag cleared, and should not count toward the item total anyway. I can maybe just have them inherit from Inventory instead. Wouldn't really change a whole lot, though, as I still haven't seen an issue with them affecting item totals, whether they exist on the map after picking up items or not.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Maybe this isn't necessary at all, but why not make it so that every spawner inherits from Randomspawner? That would at the very least make things consistent. Maybe my report was still helpful after all, but I noticed that the bug regarding the hell knights only happens in Quakestyle, as Doomzone has them properly inhereting from randomspawner. You already mentioned that you won't be working on Quakestyle yourself. Just wanted to point out that Quakestyle doesn't have any Randomspawners whatsoever. What I'm trying to say is, maybe making everything inherit from randomspawner is all that's needed to fix these issues, thereby making it also futureproof. Sorry if I come across as annoying, I just want to offer my help, even if it's not much.

Edit: During play, try typing 'actorlist', 'countitems' or 'items' into the console. You will see the spawners together with their coordinates. Also, under automap options -> set custom colors, under cheat mode, giving each thing its own color may help to explain.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

This is MAP10: Refueling Base of Doom 2.
Here, monsters created via Randomspawner are displayed as red triangles. Yellow triangles display normal items. Item spawners with the +COUNTITEM flag are displayed as purple triangles, hiding yellow triangles beneath them. Blue triangles normally represent non counting monsters, but in this case these are the spawners that are treated as monsters with the -COUNTKILL flag. Just like the yellow triangles, you can't see the red monster triangles because they are covered by spawners.

P.S. You can also activate the alternative hud, pull down the console and type 'summon shotgun'. For every time you hit enter, the max item count increases by one.
Attachments
am_cheat 2
am_cheat 2
Last edited by StroggVorbis on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:This is MAP10: Refueling Base of Doom 2.
Here, monsters created via Randomspawner are displayed as red triangles. Yellow triangles display normal items. Item spawners with the +COUNTITEM flag are displayed as purple triangles, hiding yellow triangles beneath them. Blue triangles normally represent non counting monsters, but in this case these are the spawners that are treated as monsters with the -COUNTKILL flag. Just like the yellow triangles, you can't see the red monster triangles because they are covered by spawners.
Right, the spawners should be fixed in the next update.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

The Phalanx Particle Cannon from Quake 2: The Reckoning is set to make an appearance in the next update. This thing's a lot of fun, always loved it. Naturally, this will appear as part of Slipgater's arsenal - Though no enemies will drop it, so it will be a bit rare to come across. Well worth it for its damage output, though.

In addition to its default slug mode, the Phalanx will also be capable of spewing red-hot shrapnel. Good as a close-range option.

Also props to Captain J for the new sounds for movers. Much appreciated, dude. :D

Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

The only downside to all of these classes is that sometimes it's a struggle to get new guns for your chosen class in SP, hahaha. :D
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

Gideon020 wrote:The only downside to all of these classes is that sometimes it's a struggle to get new guns for your chosen class in SP, hahaha. :D
That used to annoy me too until I started playing differently. A lot of the time, especially early in game, Doomzone plays like a first person survival horror game. You have to really pick and choose when and where to use your available weapons. I kind of like that challenge on occasion. :P

Also, wanted to bring up a possibly small(?) issue. I think barrel explosions wake up monsters. This becomes a problem in maps like NDCP2's map 22, Evil Eye, where you have to hide from the eyes to attack to keep from awakening the hidden Arch-Viles in the map. I hid from the eyes in a spot to blow up some barrels that were blocking my path and they woke up the mass of Arch-Viles anyway, making the map unbeatable. I tested the map without the mod to see if the same thing happened and it didn't.

I mean, it's so small and such an isolated issue that I can understand if you don't want to do anything about it. :P I just thought I'd bring it up anyway.

For reference, the :25 second mark of this video is the spot where I hid in that map that still spawned the Arch-Viles anyway (this isn't my video, by the way):

silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Nems wrote:Also, wanted to bring up a possibly small(?) issue. I think barrel explosions wake up monsters. This becomes a problem in maps like NDCP2's map 22, Evil Eye, where you have to hide from the eyes to attack to keep from awakening the hidden Arch-Viles in the map. I hid from the eyes in a spot to blow up some barrels that were blocking my path and they woke up the mass of Arch-Viles anyway, making the map unbeatable. I tested the map without the mod to see if the same thing happened and it didn't.
Intended behavior, actually, though a shame that it breaks the level. Maybe if I put a range on the alert, it'll avert that particular situation. Will look into that.

I mean, it made sense when I put that in. Figured if you blew something up, it might alert whoever heard it.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Big reveal - Gibbed monsters now have a chance to drop health and armor pickups. This can be toggled off in a new Doomzone Settings menu I've added, if you want a more classic feel.

Sprites by Mechadon, used with permission. Also need to get around to some universal ammo drops for the chainsaw drops. Another day, perhaps.

Oh, also updated from Nash's QTilt to his Tilt++ module. Nice stuff.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ooooh, now with Meat-Tenderizing bonus! Now that looks more helpful than gibbing the enemies just because for satisfaction.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Excuse me for being off-topic, I'm not sure where else to ask this, but I'd like it if you made a thread about Doom Gaiden here too. That way people like me can make bug reports or give suggestions :) If you didn't already know, I'm an avid fan of your projects and MIDI renditions. I frequently visit www.zorasoft.net to check if there are any news :D
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Excuse me for being off-topic, I'm not sure where else to ask this, but I'd like it if you made a thread about Doom Gaiden here too. That way people like me can make bug reports or give suggestions :) If you didn't already know, I'm an avid fan of your projects and MIDI renditions. I frequently visit http://www.zorasoft.net to check if there are any news :D
I appreciate the kind words, though Doom Gaiden isn't currently in development. I wanted to have something finished last year, but all I managed to scrounge up was one full map, and another that I haven't finished. Got loads of ideas, plenty of map designs sketched out, and a tentative soundtrack, but I just don't have the time (or will) to work on it. So, it probably won't be seeing its own thread here any time soon.

If I do resume working on it, I'll consider it, maybe.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”