Video Freezes, audio keeps going

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Video Freezes, audio keeps going

Post by Guest »

Almost every time I’m playing, after a seemingly random amount of time, the video will freeze but the game keeps “playing”. I can shoot, etc, but I have a static image on the screen. This happens with everything from brutal doom to vanilla. Reproduction is difficult as it occurs anywhere from a few minutes after starting to an hour or more.

I’m playing on a GPD Win.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Video Freezes, audio keeps going

Post by Rachael »

What GPU are you using?

If it's Intel, this is a known issue. I believe it's caused by overheating.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Have the same issue with my laptop, and I can confirm that both the CPU and GPU is Intel (although the GPU is nondescript 'Intel Graphic Driver')

Post by Guest »

ok. yes it is amd intel processor. would using an older version of gzdoom help?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No.

Running at a lower resolution may help. Or turning off shaders (running with "-glversion 2" at the command prompt).

I have never heard of an "amd intel processor" though - those are mutually exclusive. It's an Intel processor, or an AMD processor. The GPU is different than the CPU (in most cases, anyway). You can get this info in a dxdiag report.

Post by Guest »

Lol, yes, it is a typo. Meant to put “an” and didn’t notice it.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah - try kicking your fans up to high, run at lower resolution, run without shaders, etc... I don't know what will help. :( But I suspect either a driver issue that Intel *still* hasn't fixed, or overheating.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I've been having this problem as well, but it only appeared after upgrading to GZDoom 3.2., and it almost exclusively happens after I confirm a quicksave or a quickload. The problem comes and goes in "waves" as well - I can go days without seeing it, and then have to deal with it for several hours during different play sessions one day. No graphics, but the game is clearly running, as I can hear all manner of SFX happening appropriately in the background.

I can also confirm that I'm using Intel hardware as well, an Intel HD Gaphics 520 GPU. I'm sure you guys are right and it's a known Intel thing (I see Intel problems a lot with all kinds of games), but I just find it interesting that it's only ever started happening since I updated my GZDoom, and I haven't changed any graphical settings (to my knowledge). Any ideas why this could be?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I see it happen in more than just GZDoom. It happens in Firefox, and also Blizzard's Battle.net app for me. For both, I have to disable hardware acceleration.

GZDoom does use more GPU than it used to, so it could still be a heat problem.

You could try "gl_renderbuffers false" but even if it works, all that's going to do is make it take longer before the problem happens again.
Arclightning
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Arclightning »

I play Project Brutality and recently I've been having random freezes where the screen will freeze after 5-10 minutes of playtime but I can still shoot and kill. I've asked in PB discord and they say this is a GZDoom issue.

Can someone please tell me how to fix/avoid this and why this occurs?

ASUS Vivobook 14
8 GB ram
Intel i5 8th gen
CachorroLouco476

Post by CachorroLouco476 »

www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php i used this patch to solve this problem
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

CachorroLouco476 wrote:http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php i used this patch to solve this problem
This makes it sound like it's only intended to be used on 32-bit (x86) programs, and not 64-bit. Which version of GZDoom are you using it on, and what is your CPU?

Return to “Technical Issues”