GreenBase Release

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Arghonn

GreenBase Release

Post by Arghonn »

Hello ZDoom forums, this is my first completed map, and I thought I'd share it to get some constructive criticism. :)
Now, as it is my first map, expect wonky difficulty, possibly unbalanced monster and weapon placement, and potentially awful level design overall.
The map is for GZDoom's latest release, as that was what I used to test it, and is meant to be played on Hurt Me Plenty, because I'm trash and only play on that difficulty.
EDIT: Map changed to V1.2, some minor changes and additions to level geometry, monster count bumped up a little bit, added an ambush, added another secret, and some miscellaneous fixes that were only made because looking at them in the editor bugged the hell out of me.
Feedback on ammo and monster placement and distribution would be especially appreciated.

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fknigkdxypsyq ... 2.pk3?dl=0
Spoiler:
Suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Credits to Id Software, whoever made GZDoom Builder Bugfix, and Realm667 for the custom textures and keys.
Last edited by Arghonn on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rustygold

Re: GreenBase Release

Post by Rustygold »

I just played through it and Its pretty solid, Just I would suggest adding more detail to the ceilings like lights or something and when you get the Green card maybe have some kinda ambush. Just abit more detail In General, But on It's own It's pretty fun to play through.
Arghonn

Post by Arghonn »

Thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear you thought it was fun!
I'd been planning to potentially go back and do a pass to add more detail and decorative touches anyway, seems like it really needs it.
On another note, how was the final room? I'd been planning to put a cyberdemon in there originally, but thought that might be a bit too much of a dick punch in that confined of a space.
Rustygold

Post by Rustygold »

Unless you plan on making the room bigger with some places to take cover from the rockets then It probably would not be a good idea.
Arghonn

Post by Arghonn »

That's exactly the reason I decided against putting a cyberdemon in there. A combination of the space already being fairly small and there not really being any good spots to put additional cover ultimately made me decide against it.
StormCatcher.77

Post by StormCatcher.77 »

The map looks good, but it's too short. The gameplay is pretty easy. I constantly expected that crowds of monsters would start appearing from secret walls, but no. The view clings to the small details in the rooms, it's excellent. It would be worthwhile in the future if rooms differ from each other more strongly. Maybe it was worth sometime to do an extended version? In any case, it was nice to ran through.
Arghonn

Post by Arghonn »

Thanks for the feedback! I do plan on making levels that are longer in the future, and hearing from you told me what I already suspected as far as the map's length was concerned. On the subject of difficulty, I was learning as I was going for the most part with this level, and by the time I'd really wrapped my head around some of the functions that would need to be used for ambushes, I was getting really tired of looking at the level geometry I'd already put down, so I'll definitely keep that in mind for future projects.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

I really like the design of this, I do have a few thoughts though:
-The box room throws a lot of chaingunners and cacodemons at you as soon as you enter. Having some of them them teleport in or break through a wall once you're further into the room might make for more fluid gameplay
-The key room could do with a little shelter to help with the revenants, maybe a techlamp?
-The 3d floors in the final room should probably be accessible, maybe as the 4th secret.
-More gore props please :D
-Custom music would be nice, I'd suggest a Cannibal Corpse midi lol
-A custom baron would make a cool "end of level door with health", I can throw some code together for one if you want :D
Arghonn

Post by Arghonn »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably come back to this map and do an expanded, reworked version at some point, and you've brought up a couple good points. It's kind of on the back burner though, I'm working on two other maps right now, and I'm probably not going to revisit GreenBase until I finish/get fed up with the maps I'm currently working on.
BFG

Post by BFG »

I enjoyed this map, green being my favorite color gets it a bonus point from me. My only complaint is that it is short and there is only one key that is required, but if you make more maps you could put them together and have this as the first map. My favorite area is the last room with the gunners up on the balcony. If you were to extend it, perhaps instead of the last switch ending the level, it brings down another key which is to be used in the room with the crates with the switches at the back and the area next to it with the silver shutters could be an elevator which goes down into a new section.
Arghonn

Post by Arghonn »

Thanks for the feedback! I've been kicking around an idea or two for an extended and revamped version of this map, and I might steal a few of those ideas for it.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

I did an FDA and a review for you so here they are:

Short, fun map. The green aesthetic definitely works. It's leans heavily on the easy side with ambushes even allowing you to just back out of the room and funnel monsters through a single 64 unit door.

There was some nice detailing in areas but it was sparse overall. It looks like some areas were spent being detailed where others were just left as square rooms.

I enjoyed the map and would recommend it however I would enjoy it a lot more were it harder, more detailed and extended a bit.
-Custom music would be nice, I'd suggest a Cannibal Corpse midi lol
Agreed, a custom midi would be a nice touch.
Arghonn

Post by Arghonn »

Thanks for the feedback and the video!
I'm working on making encounters that you can't camp out as easily, and I'm planning to come back to this map and do a revised version of it or something incorporating all the feedback I've gotten on it, and the mapping tricks I've learned since.

Return to “Levels”