[Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: [Music] HQ Doom Music (2017 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

Post by NightFright »

I dunno if it's just me, but the background choir in d_messag (between 1:11 and 2:11) sounds awfully off-key. This can't be intended, doesn't sound anything like the original MIDI at all. Something similar must have happened with the background strings in d_the_da (3:45-5:12 and 5:30-end).
The other songs don't seem to have any issues and sound great. ^^
Shane
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Gentoo GNU/Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Shane »

Siberian Tiger wrote:Awesome stuff! I hope to try these out soon!
Thanks, man! I hope you like it! :D
NightFright wrote:I dunno if it's just me, but the background choir in d_messag (between 1:11 and 2:11) sounds awfully off-key. This can't be intended, doesn't sound anything like the original MIDI at all. Something similar must have happened with the background strings in d_the_da (3:45-5:12 and 5:30-end).
The other songs don't seem to have any issues and sound great. ^^
They're not out of key. They just play longer than they do in the original song: https://youtu.be/ILMtI7DmYn0?t=1m09s
https://youtu.be/Kc9rn3xGuvY?t=3m42s

If you listen to the synth voice, it's playing the same notes. Maybe because mine rings out for longer, it's giving you the perception it's out of key? I could always gate them so they don't ring for as long.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It's worth a try. I have surely heard the songs more than often enough to be able to tell when something doesn't sound right.
Shane

Post by Shane »

NightFright wrote:It's worth a try. I have surely heard the songs more than often enough to be able to tell when something doesn't sound right.
And I appreciate the feedback! Try these ones and let me know if you think that sounds better to you:

http://gam.thewaitingroom.org/doom/ogg/nightfright.pk3

Thanks for checking it out! :)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I listened to the new versions, but if I am honest, I cannot hear any significant improvement during the passages I have problems with. Maybe someone else can confirm so I know it's not just me who thinks that it sounds a bit weird? :D Anyway, I appreciate the effort from your side to adjust your work to user feedback. ^^
Shane

Post by Shane »

NightFright wrote:I listened to the new versions, but if I am honest, I cannot hear any significant improvement during the passages I have problems with. Maybe someone else can confirm so I know it's not just me who thinks that it sounds a bit weird? :D Anyway, I appreciate the effort from your side to adjust your work to user feedback. ^^
Thanks for trying it out! Sorry that I haven't quite gotten it to a satisfactory level for you yet. I double checked to make sure I didn't accidentally play the wrong notes, and they do match up with the MIDI. It could be the choice of synths too. I'll tweak it a little bit more when I work on Final Doom. Thanks for checking it out regardless!
TheUltimateDoomer666

Post by TheUltimateDoomer666 »

NightFright wrote:Maybe someone else can confirm so I know it's not just me who thinks that it sounds a bit weird? :D
It's not just you. The choir and string notes in the remakes are definitely off-key. I listened to the original MIDIs and the notes sound fine, while those same notes in the remakes noticeably sound off and unpleasant.
Shane

Post by Shane »

TheUltimateDoomer666 wrote:It's not just you. The choir and string notes in the remakes are definitely off-key. I listened to the original MIDIs and the notes sound fine, while those same notes in the remakes noticeably sound off and unpleasant.
The only thing I could think of is that it's the keyboard patch I was using. I double checked the recording to the original MIDI, and I played the exact notes in the song. Did you try the pack I made for NightFright with the decay change? Does that seem to help?
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

I finally got to listen to these music files and it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Can I use these new versions for future works? But also, are FLACs available? I don't want to destroy the quality when encoding to a lossy audio codec at extreme conditions.

Thanks for your continued efforts; these are absolutely great!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Siberian Tiger wrote:I finally got to listen to these music files and it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Can I use these new versions for future works? But also, are FLACs available? I don't want to destroy the quality when encoding to a lossy audio codec at extreme conditions.

Thanks for your continued efforts; these are absolutely great!
Yes, you absolutely may. I'll be uploading FLAC versions for both Doom and Doom II. I'll update in here when I do. :)

Thank you for checking it out!
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home

Post by Armaetus »

What about "Shane's HQ Recordings" or "Shane's Doom Music" ? as a new title?
Siberian Tiger
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2

Post by Siberian Tiger »

Shane wrote:Yes, you absolutely may. I'll be uploading FLAC versions for both Doom and Doom II. I'll update in here when I do. :)
Awesome to hear! I'll check in later for the updates.
AlphaSoraKun

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

Shane. This is a 5/5 music set for what you've got! Simply awesome imo.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Glaice wrote:What about "Shane's HQ Recordings" or "Shane's Doom Music" ? as a new title?
Yeah! I can use one of those. That works for me!
Siberian Tiger wrote:Awesome to hear! I'll check in later for the updates.
Thanks for following along! It's always appreciated!
CloudyJason22 wrote:Shane. This is a 5/5 music set for what you've got! Simply awesome imo.
Thank you so much! It's comments like this that motivate me to keep working on these!

I appreciate everyone checking them out as always! I'll hopefully be getting time to post some WIPs for Final Doom soon. I want to have it done this year too! :)
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

@Shane: These music packs are simply AMAZING, this is what I play Ultimate Doom and Doom2 with. I can't stand GUS emulation anymore, this is how Doom music is supposed to sound!
However, I have noticed looping is not right, E1M1 for example, you can hear an extra guitar riff between loops. It happens on all tracks. Could you fix it, please? I am using DoomRetro as my sourceport now.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”