Reikall's Voxels.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
reikall

Re: Yet another voxel project - Doom, Raven, Strife

Post by reikall »

I'll just let you see what I have for Doom 64.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h76d39ctmuwq1 ... x.pk3?dl=0
Some of it definitely needs work. If I remember correctly, I intentionally switched the shotgun and super shotgun when I was making them, so they don't match your sprites at all. I was making it for use with Brutal Doom 64, but after checking it out I definitely like your mod better. That test map is wonderful.

Thanks for the code, XxMiltenXx. I'll see what I can do with it.

For regular Doom, I made the medikit a little wider and gave it, the stimpack and berserk pack glowing symbols. I also added brightmaps for textures and flats. I don't know why. I think I just liked the challenge of making monitor glare disappear in the dark. I'll make them separate if people don't like them or it causes problems for anyone. I also switched off attenuation for lights since I still have no idea why I can't get them to light up voxels with it on.

Thank you all!
mrsmurrell

Post by mrsmurrell »

Barrels on doom 2 lvl 2 some of them clip with walls :(

could you add a green glow to the barrels kinda like toxic waste :) and the barrels don't show up in brutal doom v21 as I noticed you corrected the med packs which now work in brutal doom v21

thanks for all the hard work :)
reikall

Post by reikall »

I'm not sure I want to mess with barrel placement. They should be glowing, but a very short distance. I might change that, but I don't know right now.
I don't really play much Brutal Doom and I don't test my stuff with it, but maybe eventually I'll do a little work for it.

Heretic update:
My friend Ryuhi (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=56762) came up with a script to turn key gizmo statues away from the walls. It works pretty well, so the double statues are gone. And thanks to XxMiltenXx, there's a menu option to turn that off if you happen to be in a map where they're angled purposefully.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

aw shucks~

(in case anyone already plays my mod, Reikall is the one who made all my voxels for it)
Voxelbro

Post by Voxelbro »

Loved your work on parts of the sprite we don't see, like the back of the map and how you did the transparent parts. Maybe the spheres will finally look good.
Good luck with the cave decoration and that tree, and I hope you can stomach all that gore!
reikall

Post by reikall »

Thank you very much!

Trying to match the art style has been a little challenging, since VGA art was generally very different from modern pixel art. I was planning on skipping the spheres, but they're starting to look a lot more doable than I first thought.
Haha, I'll be OK. One of the reasons I love Doom is that few other games really understand the fun of schlock horror gore.

PS - New for Doom: Head on a pike, fire can (that I really need to draw new flame sprites for), tech lamps with transparency effects, and probably other things I forgot.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Cool project. I do have a problem with it though; There seams to be glitches in all supping games where some of the voxels will have their lower half cut off. It's also not compatible with smooth doom, which is a bummer since it also improves graphics.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

I am gutted! :cry:

I had to remove your fine voxel mod for GZDoom 3.2.3, for some reason the liquid floors try to swirl like quake, but as they are animated they jerk around. It took me forever to figure out the removing your fine voxel mod was the only way to fix this. I am reporting this bug as I hope you can get to the bottom of it and update it so I can start to enjoy your voxels and the improved lighting your mod does.
reikall

Post by reikall »

I just uploaded a new version that removes the ANIMDEFS stuff that makes textures warp, so let me know if that fixes it. That stuff should probably be outside the scope of this project anyway. I'm glad you like it so much!

3371-Alpha: I need screenshots/video of these glitches, details on what you're running and when you see them, etc. I've never seen it happen before and this is the first I've heard of it.
I added some stuff that should sorta kinda work with Smooth Doom, but major things still have problems, some of which I don't know how to fix right now. It would certainly be a lot of work, and I'm still not even done with vanilla stuff.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Well I feel kind of ashamed now, the graphical glitch was due to me using an older build of the engine. I need to start checking for updates more often. I still did manage to find an interesting anomaly with the Strife torches though, not sure if it was intentional; check the attachments. The light seams to go through part of the street light's frame.

As for Smooth Doom compatibility I believe Gifty mentioned a fix here.
Gifty wrote:
zrrion the insect wrote:Voxel mods don't replace the actors (usually) and instead they replace the frames that things use. The smooth doom barrel uses more frames but the voxel mod only has 2 or so frames of animation, so it can't replace all the frames in the animation.
I haven't looked at the voxel mod yet, but based on this information I would say your best bet for a compatibility patch would be to modify the voxel actor to have all the extra frames that the smooth doom barrel has.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 2.04.51 PM.png
reikall

Post by reikall »

I have now added some duplicate voxel files to fill in for Smooth Doom's extra frames, which I think should make it work with Brutal Doom too. I didn't like making a new actor, especially when that mod needs its own barrel actor.
I noticed Smooth Doom does some palette swap or whatever to make that gore sprite (POL5A) turn blue or green, and that definitely doesn't work with my voxels. That's the big thing I don't understand.

As for the screenshot: that's the software renderer, right? If it is, you should use this one for Strife: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8k98l8692954 ... s.pk3?dl=0
I probably should reorganize my ModDB stuff and add that to it.

Anyway...if anyone is interested in the story about that:
Strife did a trick with the colormap so that the darker shades of certain colors aren't actually dark, if that makes sense. It didn't use brightmaps like we do now. As far as I can tell, the software renderer still uses that colormap (when not in truecolor mode), so it actually applies to voxels the same as sprites or anything else. OpenGL mode doesn't do that, nor is there any way use brightmaps or alpha channels in voxels (that I'm aware of). I get weirdly super upset when my voxels don't look right, so I developed a technique of layering voxels as a workaround. Different parts have to be separate actors so I can control what's fullbright. That lantern/street light is the first one I got working, incidentally.

So what you're looking at in that screenshot are two voxel models (and actors) in the same spot, one for the pole and ring and such, and one for the orange bright parts. In OpenGL, you can have the ring go around the other model and this all looks right, but in software it's like voxels are rendered completely separately and then placed in the world as if they were 2D sprites. I don't know how it works, but what you see there is always the end result.

TL;DR: Strife in software mode doesn't need my workarounds and can't render them as intended anyway.

Also, I apologize for never getting around to fixing Strife's torches and such.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Yeah, I'm kind of forced to use software mode due to my Radeon HD 2400 XT being a potato. Thanks for the fix though. Also, although I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, I't be cool if this project could make a full fix for Smooth Doom one day. I imagine voxilizing the sprites is hard enough so maybe when it's on it's final version.
Fabricator

Post by Fabricator »

Love that the OG art-style shines thru in these voxels! Super faithful.
Do you have any plans to do the switches as well, ala Shadow Warrior '97?

Awesome work so far, can't wait to see this pack completed.
reikall

Post by reikall »

Thanks. I've done most of them. I just don't know how to get them into vanilla maps and such, and I don't know of any maps that use actors for wall switches (but if they did, they'd surely have their own voxels already).
StevenC21

Post by StevenC21 »

Is this project still active? It is doing incredibly well, and I hope the spheres are done soon, but a lack of updates disturbs me...

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”