[ZScript] Smooth scaling of weapon/psprite animation speed

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.

[ZScript] Smooth scaling of weapon/psprite animation speed

Postby argv » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am

The attached pk3 adds three new weapons to the game (which you'll have to “give” yourself from the console): “SpeedScalingPistol”, “SpeedScalingShotgun”, and “SpeedScalingChaingun”. The rate of fire of these weapons is controlled by the CVar “weapon_speed_scale”. If set to a negative number, then for each tic of animation, that many tics will be skipped. If set to a positive number, then for each tic of animation, that many tics will be added. This can be a fraction; “weapon_speed_scale -0.5” makes the weapons fire at 1.5× their normal rate.

If you think you could use this in your mod, take a look inside the pk3. You'll need to copy the class “PSpriteSpeedScaler” and the struct “PSpriteSpeedScalerSet” into your mod. Then, on your weapon classes, add a PSpriteSpeedScalerSet field, and call it from the Tick method as shown.

The main use case I had in mind for this is RPG-like mods, where attack speed is affected by the player character's skills and attributes.

Hope it helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
argv

Re: [ZScript] Smooth scaling of weapon/psprite animation spe

Postby Nash » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Very useful! Thanks for sharing.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby argv » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:35 pm

I've done some additional work on this code, which you can track in my Bitbucket repository.

Specifically, I've made the following changes:
  • Slight optimization.
  • Split into two ZScript files: one with the actual mod, and one with the demonstration weapons.
  • Improve the way it interacts with PowerDoubleFiringSpeed.
argv

Postby Nash » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Hey, sorry for the bump. I've finally integrated this into my project and it works beautifully.

I have a suggestion though; would it be possible to change the scale numbering so that 1.0 = normal speed? Then 0.5 would be half speed, 2.0 would be double speed, etc etc... If you can't then it's okay. I just feel that a scale multiplier would make more logical sense.

Thanks again for this amazing underrated gem!
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Return to Script Library