[INACTIVE] Doomzone v1.8.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomenator

Re: Doomzone Mod

Post by Doomenator »

0mrcynic0 wrote:Is there also a possible option that item pickups be restricted to whatever class you choose when you start the game instead of having random weapons scattered around that can't be picked up most of the time?

For example, when I start at Map 30 in Doom 2, I can only pick around 3 to 4 weapons only instead of getting all of the weapons at the start before confronting the boss.
Yeah, there's a chance to go through half the game with the starting weapons. We are not looking for easy ways, only hardcore. 8-)
silentzora

Re: Doomzone Mod (TNT Patch Added)

Post by silentzora »

I've been messing about with the debris system lately. Never was too terribly satisfied with how it was before, but now the trail generators actually have sprites for shrapnel. Looks good for barrels and rockets, not so much for explosive bolts. Will work on creating a separate debris class for that, I think. For now, though, here's some test footage of the new debris in development.

It's worth noting that the shrapnel doesn't cause damage, it's just for visual effect.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that's very dynamic effects for the barrels! And it those debris hurt the player, then it's not even fun to blow barrels to bits in narrow places, let me tell you!
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

The effect look nice for the most part, though it seems that the fire from the fire barrel is evenly spaced out like it's organized or something, might want to randomize that slightly. Looks too "uniform"
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I was playing Dead Simple on Hardcore difficulty, and it seems the monsters aren't properly tied to the scripts on that map. I killed what happened to be the last standard mancubus, and the walls came down before I was ready, leaving me to deal with both the stronger mancubi and both kinds of arachnotron. Then when I killed what I thought was the last arachnotron, I was caught by surprise by one on tank treads, and killing that one made the step around the exit rise again, forcing me to straferun onto it.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

SiFi270 wrote:I was playing Dead Simple on Hardcore difficulty, and it seems the monsters aren't properly tied to the scripts on that map. I killed what happened to be the last standard mancubus, and the walls came down before I was ready, leaving me to deal with both the stronger mancubi and both kinds of arachnotron. Then when I killed what I thought was the last arachnotron, I was caught by surprise by one on tank treads, and killing that one made the step around the exit rise again, forcing me to straferun onto it.
I'll look at it again. Last I checked, that used to work correctly, not sure why it doesn't now. Makes me wonder if the way RandomSpawner works has changed.

EDIT: I think RandomSpawner doesn't like that I have it replacing a boss monster via MAPINFO for Hardcore, Necro, and Doom Eater difficulties. From what I can tell, there are two possible ways of fixing this.
  • Setting the RandomSpawner with the Replaces keyword to apply proper attributes for tags 666 and 667, and then setting Doomzone's Arachnotrons as replacements through MAPINFO for lower difficulties.
  • Nixing RandomSpawners for boss monsters in Hardcore, Necro, and Doom Eater difficulties, opting for single monster replacements for each.
I haven't totally decided which way I want to go on this, since I do eventually want to add a third variant of Mancubus and Arachnotron. I'm sure there's some sort of voodoo I can pull with MAPINFO replacements for the different skill levels if push comes to shove, though. Will be investigating options on what route to go on this. In the meantime, I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT#2: Decided to go with the first option. Tested, works. The fix will be present in the next update.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Messing about with a gib chance with the LS13 shotgun. I figure, since the shotguns, battle rifle, and sniper rifles are all kind of OP, why the hell not?
(Hint: This will be important for something I'm working on later.)

Map set is Ultimate Torment & Torture: Supportive Edition.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Neat effect, is that tied into how far away the enemy is?
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

-Ghost- wrote:Neat effect, is that tied into how far away the enemy is?
It's actually independent of distance. Rather, roughly 20% of the hitscans fired with each shot use a puff that's got the +EXTREMEDEATH flag. The percentage of hitscans that have this quirk going on will vary between weapons, with less hitscans having a smaller chance to gib, and vice versa.

Basically, whichever hitscan deals the killing blow determines whether the attack gibs or not.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

This is clever, but it will be kinda strange if you shoot enemies in close quarters and don't gib them. :p

But i understand you. Random chance is a luck game.

(unless the weapon fires two different hitscans at the same time, one of them having bad accuracy, but carrying the extremedeath flag, and the other acting naturally).
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Up close all pellets should hit so it should still gib.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:Up close all pellets should hit so it should still gib.
With lower ranked mooks like Troopers and Sergeants, a point blank shot should gib with the LS13, unless RNGesus rolls snake eyes on the damage calculation. Anything higher than a Sergeant, such as an Imp or Commando, and this won't happen unless they're low on HP. The first four hitscans use +EXTREMEDAMAGE, the remaining 16 do not. I'll be extending this behavior to the other shotguns, the battle rifle, sniper rifles, and the revolver as well, with differing chances for gibbing depending on the strength of the weapon. I'll admit, it feels satisfying to blast an imp with the VC-32 at long range, and watch 'em burst into chunks.

But for the shotguns, it's basically gonna depend on the enemy type, distance between you and the target, and a little RNG for anything tougher than a Sergeant.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

I'm late to the party but I'm glad you posted this here, man. It's awesome to see how far this mod has progressed since I first started playing it and I look forward to 1.7.1. <3
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

So I think I've found a bug; I had picked up a blursphere while playing as the Demolition class, and then on a whim I activated her disguise. When both had worn off, I retained the blursphere effect, which was hilarious up until I started dodging into attacks that were flying to either side of me. I didn't play for much longer after that because yikes, but it didn't seem like it would be wearing off any time soon.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

twinkieman93 wrote:So I think I've found a bug; I had picked up a blursphere while playing as the Demolition class, and then on a whim I activated her disguise. When both had worn off, I retained the blursphere effect, which was hilarious up until I started dodging into attacks that were flying to either side of me. I didn't play for much longer after that because yikes, but it didn't seem like it would be wearing off any time soon.
Hmm, I see what you mean. I'll code in an exception to prevent the player from using the disguise skill while PowerInvisibility is in their inventory. Should be fixed in the next update.

Edit: Actually, that might not fix it after all. Little bit stumped on this one, but from what I know, it seems to be an issue with having two different powerups derived from PowerInvisibility. Gonna have to do some research on this.

Edit #2: I've come up with a workaround for Disguise, Cloak, and Ghost abilities. Just a few A_JumpIfInventory commands, and this ought to work fine next update.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”