[FINISHED] I.H.N.I. episode 1 (Co-op update)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kraja

[FINISHED] I.H.N.I. episode 1 (Co-op update)

Post by Kraja »

Ok - let's get the important stuff out of the way first
After receiving some feedback i fixed a lot of stuff for better singleplayer experience and to allow anyone interested (which is like three guys at this point) to play in co-op without telefragging each other in every other map.

DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xmb9987so ... NIp1v7.wad

CHANGELOG
Spoiler:
SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
STORY
Spoiler:
TECHNICAL STUFF
-GZDoom 3.2.0 required (there are some problems with music tracks not looping properly on 3.0)
-Play it in hardware rendering mode with dynamic lighting on and standard sector lighting
-no jumping or crouching
-make sure you have mouselook on
-(oh yeah - and i forgot to say that it's for Doom 2... )

KNOWN ISSUES
-You might encounter some severe frame drops on maps 05 and 06
-Sometimes song title appears twice at the end of MAP06
-And obviously you can expect to see some monsters getting stuck on small sectors and some misaligned textures

OTHER STUFF
I.H.N.I. is a mapset containing 6 techbase-themed maps (three on earth and three on mars). I’ve been working on it in my spare time for over a year and, well - here it is.
Right now it’s safe to call it an “episode 1” because for the next 6 maps i want to try more gothic and hellish aesthetics (i know - groundbreaking stuff…) and connect them with what i have here.
It’s my first mappack of this sort (before that i made just one map for DUMP2 but let’s not talk about it) so - hopefully - some of you will notice how the quality goes up with every map.

I used a lot of tracks from modarchive.org but i had to convert some of them into .ogg files to sync them up with some sequences (which kinda explains the size of this .wad). Besides that you can find there Necrodome Rocks from Realm 667 repo as well as a rain spawner, some free sounds from - well - freesounds.org, a statusbar made by Dandeere and a custom intermission screen i made in like 5 minutes before posting this.

CREDITS / SONG LIST
Spoiler:
I know it’s not much. It’s short, a bit ugly and full of bugs but i still enjoyed working on it. It was a great learning experience and i can't wait to put everything i've learned here to good use.
So... that's it. Have fun and let me know what you think about this mess or if you happen to find some more bugs.
Last edited by Kraja on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JimpArgon

Re: [WIP] I.H.N.I. (tiny mapset for zandronum)

Post by JimpArgon »

Wow looks pretty cool from the screenshots. I will test this one out after work.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

This is amazing. I love it.

Seriously, it's like an alternate me had drawn up a master checklist of stuff I want to see more of in new Doom maps and that was the plan for this project - lots of fast messy Doom action, well-timed setpieces that don't constrain the player's naturally available choices, barrel placement that actually makes them worthwhile, architecture that hints at a larger, more coherent setting without trying too hard to imitate things,...

One quibble is that it's really easy to get stuck in the geometry, but that is a very minor thing and frankly I can just play with a mod that makes the player smaller.

(Gonna try this with HD later... highly! unlikely to be at all playable but given the aesthetic I feel like I should try, lol EDIT: died on map01 after getting cornered in the yellow key office by pinkies and forgetting to switch weapons instead of reloading the shotgun, lol - but the problems with getting stuck on geometry were nearly gone with the narrower and slower HD player. EDIT2: Apparently at least theoretically Map01 can be completed, either with full health and no encumbrance or a berserk pack.)
Last edited by Matt on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kraja

Post by Kraja »

Wow, thanks.

I will try to fix some smaller spaces and some other things for the next release.
I will probably post it next week and after that i will start working on next three maps.
EDIT: That took me longer than expected, but i finally fixed some issues on MAP03 and i already threw in finished MAP04 into the package.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [WIP] I.H.N.I. (4/9 maps complete)

Post by Matt »

Nice!

A bit more confusing than the other maps, though that could just be because I'm playing with a mod that lets you jump and jetpack to unusual places >_>

I seem to get stuck at the start in co-op after dying. Maybe you can set that sector to automatically teleport players into the other room constantly?
Kraja

Re: [WIP] I.H.N.I. (4/9 maps complete)

Post by Kraja »

So...
If anyone that still cares about this crap - I'm afraid I won't finish it this year.
I'm a bit busy right now - I'll will get back to it in march (hopefully).
Kraja

Re: [FINISHED] I.H.N.I. episode 1 (6 maps)

Post by Kraja »

Jesus Christ - this took way longer than expected.
But it's done - i updated the first post.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [FINISHED] I.H.N.I. episode 1 (6 maps)

Post by Brohnesorge »

I'm not eloquent when it comes to maps, I just know if I like them or if I hate them. And this WAD is fucking awesome. I loved every second of it.
Even played through it with a buddy. Unfortunitly, in coop you get stuck in Map 04(I think? The one that begins in blackness teleporting before it starts) but other then that, this is probably my favorite WAD I've played this year.
Kraja

Re: [FINISHED] I.H.N.I. episode 1 (Co-op update)

Post by Kraja »

Ok - i've fixed all co-op related issues and changed some things around. Hopefully this was the last update for this shit.

Return to “Levels”