The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ryuhi

Re: [Update] The Guncaster - 2.8a, all glory be

Post by Ryuhi »

yeah its pretty bad, which is half the reason i wouldnt recommend it. its MUCH more conductive to just require the player to give themselves a few seconds of safety to call it up in the first place.
RustyController

Post by RustyController »

Zhs2 wrote:Yes. Guncaster actually provides new definitions for the vanilla monsters to give them new pain states and money drops. You would have to manually add the money drops to the DoomRL monsters.
i'm a bit new to the scene of doom modding, how do i do that? all i know is "click and drag wads to GZDoom"
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Well, I'll tell ya it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than that... I would know, a couple mods of mine were concerned with full compatibility with Guncaster. :)

You will need a Doom Editor. I suggest using SLADE3. I suggest downloading the stable version (which is located underneath the beta download section).

You will need to find the files corresponding to each monster, in Guncaster. I recommend finding the Doom monsters' code, filed within the directory Decorate/Doom/Monsters. From there, copy whatever code you need from the GuncastZombieman to whatever Zombieman variants are present in DRLA, and do the same between the GuncastShotgunGuy and all corresponding ShotgunGuy variants in DRLA, and between the GuncastPimp (yes, it's "GuncastPimp") and all corresponding Imp variants found in DRLA, and so on and so forth.

Now, telling you what is necessary to copy over/modify in each monster's code is going to be very time consuming to reiterate. What you should do is find what's similar between all the monsters of Guncaster and make similar changes to the monsters in DRLA. Also, since you seem to be new to this, you can contrast the actor definitions of the original monsters of Doom (which can be found on the ZDoom wiki and older versions of gzdoom.pk3, since newer versions of gzdoom.pk3 now have the original actors' code converted to ZScript) to the modified monsters of Guncaster and see what's different. This will further help you.

Godspeed! ;)
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Just a heads up, was going to be a surprise, but...
The next release of the DRLA monsterpack has Guncaster support, it's like 80+% done (although it obliterated my sanity and I've been taking a break).

So you can go ahead and do all that stuff, but it's gonna be a lot of effort that will be redundant when the next DRLA gets released. I've already had one person super distressed because something they were working on for a long time for DRLA had already had a super fancy version already finished and built in months ago, so I feel compelled to warn you rather than hold my silence.

EDIT: It will need a newer Gnucaster to go with it, though. No ETA on that currently, though tons o' cool shit is being done.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Yholl wrote:I've already had one person super distressed because something they were working on for a long time for DRLA had already had a super fancy version already finished and built in months ago, so I feel compelled to warn you rather than hold my silence.
Not going to ask who this was, but I'm curious as to WHAT that ting was.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

iSpook wrote:Not going to ask who this was, but I'm curious as to WHAT that ting was.
Someone was making a PDA-sorta thing for DRLA, but unfortunately we'd already finished one months before.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Yholl wrote:Just a heads up, was going to be a surprise, but...
The next release of the DRLA monsterpack has Guncaster support, it's like 80+% done (although it obliterated my sanity and I've been taking a break).

So you can go ahead and do all that stuff, but it's gonna be a lot of effort that will be redundant when the next DRLA gets released. I've already had one person super distressed because something they were working on for a long time for DRLA had already had a super fancy version already finished and built in months ago, so I feel compelled to warn you rather than hold my silence.

EDIT: It will need a newer Gnucaster to go with it, though. No ETA on that currently, though tons o' cool shit is being done.
Oh cool! Another monster pack to play it with! :D

I can help a little with the project if you need it... :)
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

brb stealing pillow's thread
ImageImage
DRLA Monsterpack running with Guncaster at 100% compatibility.

Was such suffering to do, but now I just gotta find any secret stealthy problems that'll have appeared, for the most part it's working flawlessly right now.
Apteral10

Post by Apteral10 »

Has the creator of the mod decided to come update the mod if this gets any ideas? Was just wondering because (insert obvious comment about difficulty) I do really like the mod that it says "This is made just to have fun" also I set this mod up against Sunder and I came in to conclusion that you don't have enough durability in general, you can't gain enough of it in the real way (No cheating, Git gud and No casuls route) I do not blame the mod I think it is quite nice that there is actually some kind of limit and caused me to enjoy the mod a bit more.

I hope mod creator will consider creating more content by updating this or making a new mod. Because mods that are centered around thought "How do I make sure that players will have fun?" aren't all that bad as long as the creator remembers "How can I limit the power of these tools I have given to players without reducing the enjoyment coming from usage of these tools?" if this sounds like critique I need to point out this do not take this wrong, even I like the "Hold on. Let me just type IDDQD and see how much I can create bodies" approach but if a mod that is basically power fantasy does challenge me in someway *grabs a bucket filled with something and empties upon the person who made the mod. The bucket is full of money in paper form* You deserve to be praised in my opinion.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

I accept the critique and get what you want. I don't make it for money, though, I just push it to the limit for personal enjoyment.

Hell, I made things even more broken~

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Update] The Guncaster - 3.0 preview

Post by Captain J »

After all these years of modding and progressing, after tons of thing you have done so far, Nope! This is not broken at all. Just normal. Satisfyingly normal! :P
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

"Was it worth?" Is the first thing you ask.

Of course it was. Your mods are quality standards. :)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I haven't been here for a very long time...

I'm going to miss the Cauterizer. It was a fun weapon... but the Auger looks SUPER COOL. :D

Finally, overlays for kicking, spelling, and shooting, all at the same time! Do you happen to have animations for switching to a Stratocaster mode while dual-wielding, too?

And the shop looks cool too! And you get to talk to your father! NITHOR LIVES!
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

NOOOO.....The strucker lost a barrel. :(

Other than that. thanks for bringing me some quality content for the past 3 years. This is gonna be one of the best updates!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Looking well worth the wait :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”