Heretic is a really bad game

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Heretic is a really bad game

Post by Chris »

Matt wrote:Golems. They look like mummies and even the sprite name is MUMM. This sheds some light on what happened with the gargoyles: the graphics people drew one thing and then whoever wrote the lore wrote something else. The death animation clearly depicts some kind of organic thing animated by an evil spirit.
Ever heard of a Flesh Golem (sometimes called flesh atronachs in some settings)? Golems are inanimate objects given life through magic that binds an external spirit to the thing (whether or not such life has free will or intelligence depends on your setting). A dead body is (normally) inanimate and you see a spirit break free when the body/object is destroyed. And given that they sometimes drop wand crystals that can power your magic wand, it's safe to say there was some kind of magic done to them that required a power source (the ones that don't drop crystals you can say you destroyed the crystal with the body, or were too drained to be reusable by your wand).
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Come to think of it, I do space out halfway through episode 1. ...that's bad.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Well, we got Brutal Heretic which improved the weapons (although the Dragon Claw felt a little bit underwhelming IMHO) :idea:
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Cherno wrote:Brutal Heretic
improved
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Well, I like it anyway :P I mean, come on. The chief complaint here is that the weapons are too weak for the enemies encountered and Brutal Heretic RPG fixes that by providing fast-firing and powerful weapons that can shred enemies much quicker.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

So you're going to sacrifice game balance just to stomp all over the game that much quicker?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I play on Ultraviolence or whatever it's called in Heretic, so it's not too bad. I just don't like using that peashooter of a magic wand to slowly wittle away gargolyes and golems.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Nobody is forcing you to use that wand. You get the gauntlets, crossbow and a tome of power all in E1M1 and even then it's really quick to complete.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Cherno wrote: I just don't like using that peashooter of a magic wand pistol to slowly wittle away gargolyes and golems shotgun guys and imps.
:P
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Multiple people have mentioned that they find the enemy hit points too high and the pain chance too low. So maybe those people don't think that the balance is that good, and Brutal Heretic RPG certainly alleviates that problem. I'm not saying that it doesnt't go too far but I thought it would be a good idea to at least mention the mod. In the end, everyone can decide on his or her own if it's good or not.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Cherno wrote:Well, we got Brutal Heretic which improved the weapons
Well, speaking of mods you guys may want to try Romero's Heresy II. :D
BTW i think Heretic is a good game but of course Doom is much better.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Cherno wrote:Multiple people have mentioned that they find the enemy hit points too high and the pain chance too low. So maybe those people don't think that the balance is that good, and Brutal Heretic RPG certainly alleviates that problem. I'm not saying that it doesnt't go too far but I thought it would be a good idea to at least mention the mod. In the end, everyone can decide on his or her own if it's good or not.
The other day I was jotting down ideas for picking up Synthetic Deities again.

Pretty much all my monster ideas involved glass-ninjification and making the fights go faster.

Poking around random levels it occurs to me that one of the things that bothers me about Heretic has nothing to do with the lore or lack thereof, it's the fact that the later levels are kinda cramped or aimless or both and I get stuck in geometry or damagefloors or the monsters a lot - there just isn't enough freedom of movement for me to find an extended circlestrafe-fest rewarding.

(But yes, a confluence of synchronicitous events over the weekend - half of them taking place at church oddly enough - have encouraged me to distance myself from my previous comments on this thread and give ye olde H-game another chance...)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I always liked Hexen more than heretic personally. The Fighter's gauntlet is very satisfying to use (most of the weapons feel pretty good actually), the enemies are cooler, and the first level is great. It's a shame the first map is also the best map in the game.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

zrrion the insect wrote:I always liked Hexen more than heretic personally. The Fighter's gauntlet is very satisfying to use (most of the weapons feel pretty good actually), the enemies are cooler, and the first level is great. It's a shame the first map is also the best map in the game.
That was my first impression of Hexen, too. Excellent first map and the gauntlets are fun to use.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Who said that Heretic is bad? Heretic is good as Doom if the player invest time on it. Learning the behaviour of weapons, items and ammo dropped by enemies, correct use of weapons...the only weak point for me is the music because is short but it has good tracks, like the track used in E1M6.
And also, I dislike the use of Brutal Heretic because of balance and stuff...oh, one more thing...you have 48 maps at your disposal for more fun if you have the expanded version...48 man...

Return to “Off-Topic”