Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.21: SHOTGUN!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.21: SHOTGUN!

Post by Samarai1000 »

Downsize (your arsenal) is a relatively simple weapon mod made by me, as my first foray into doom modding. (Or any type of modding, or even coding/programming!) It features only two weapons at a time, a pistol and an assault rifle or a shotgun. (more may be added in the future, depending on the reception to this gimmick) Each of these weapons have one upgrade. (Again, more coming hopefully) This mod features some things that aren't suited to everyone's tastes, which I understand completely. If you don't like a super small arsenal with magazine-based reloading, heavy recoil and sub-par code made by an amateur """coder""", or you don't want to play a mod that's extremely early in development, this probably isn't for you.
The weapons are based very loosely on real firearms, but have strange and out-there differences/attachments due to my own coding limitations and gameplay purposes.
You can find some information on them and their attachments in the below spoiler.
Spoiler:
You start with enough magazines for both weapons to fill your inventory (without a backpack), but they're both unloaded to begin. (I will probably change this as it adds nothing.) You also start with four grenades. Take note, you cannot pick up a class' ammo if you are not that class. So, please don't be confused that when playing with the M16A667, enemies drop shells you can't pick up. And vice versa, with the Remington 915 enemies can and will drop 5.56 Magazines and 40mm Buckshot rounds you cannot pick up.

The mod also has two Cvars, as of right now. "Recoil_Half" (0/1, off by default, meaning recoil is not halved) and "Wandermus 0/1" (off by default, meaning the music does not play) So, if you'd like to lower recoil, type recoil_half 1 into the console. If you want to enable wandersphere music, type Wandermus 1 into the console.

TODO:
-Replace health/powerup pickups with something new and fresh to fit the rest of the mod.
-Add an attachment to replace the chainsaw, rather than having ammo spawn in its place. (Done!)
-Learn ACS, as to allow for more complex actions in the mod. (Specifically, I'd like to have powerups that play music throughout their duration.)
-Balance the mod, as it's currently horribly unbalanced. (Please give feedback, I'm begging you.)
-Probably much more that I can't think of right now.
-Fix the bugs that are more than guaranteed to be there.
-Replace placeholder Doom assets. (I.E, Doom explosion sound)
-Edit monsters? Maybe, probably.
-Think up a replacement upgrade in place of the BFG9000, the Rifle's current "secret" upgrade is too silly.
DOWNLOAD V0.21 HERE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/01emg7wvqj3jb ... e.zip?dl=0

Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Samarai1000 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Cherno

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod.

Post by Cherno »

It's an interesting concept and I'M always looking for fun gameplay mods :)
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Cherno wrote:It's an interesting concept and I'M always looking for fun gameplay mods :)
Thanks! I just realized I made a pretty silly mistake, though. There's no way to see how many rockets you have and the launcher doesn't use the right ammo type. Expect a fix in a few minutes, sorry!
Edit:
I have no idea how to edit the heads-up-display, so adding a display for rocket ammo may take a little while.
Edit 2:
Scratch that, Sbarinfo is relatively simple. Rocket indicator and a (horrible looking) basic HUD are now added.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Just gave this a go, it's pretty interesting. I'd suggest making the recoil state of both guns a little more "responsive" so to say - they linger for about a second after firing. Other than that, I suggest turning down the damage on the pistol and adding a nother upgrade that dampens its recoil somewhat (something like a stock and foregrip combo).

Also, Doom without a shotgun is boneless Doom so I'd say strap a shotgun into the chainsaw spawn and be on your merry way.
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

Or maybe an upgrade of a shotgun attachment for the rifle
Deii

Post by Deii »

VladTopol1706 wrote:Or maybe an upgrade of a shotgun attachment for the rifle
Image dump incoming
Spoiler:
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

in Predator a gun also had a shotgun attachment,
Something like this:
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Deii wrote:
VladTopol1706 wrote:Or maybe an upgrade of a shotgun attachment for the rifle
Image dump incoming
Spoiler:
Thanks for the suggestions and your previous feedback. I was thinking of doing a shotgun attachment but didn't know how to represent it on the sprite, since the M16 sprite doesn't have a version without the hand on the front, but I could just also make it side mounted like the rocket launcher. (The gun's going to start looking silly, though.) I'm also unsure of what button to bind the shotgun to, since the RL takes up the altfire. Perhaps I should replace the Rockets with throwable grenades?
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

Maybe isntead putting the shotgun attachment on the side you could use the normal muzzle flash from the M16 and make a pumping animation using only offsets

Also i suggest changing the pistol sprites for something else

Jdredalert have a nice looking beretta here:
http://redalertwarehouse.blogspot.cl/p/ ... 4.html?m=1
Deii

Post by Deii »

You could also use one of the weapon function 1-4 buttons to cycle between attachments...but I still think making the shotgun a separate weapon would be a better choice, if only because then you'd have three weapon slots filled. You could even go ahead and give it a grenade altfire if you feel frisky.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Deii wrote:You could also use one of the weapon function 1-4 buttons to cycle between attachments...but I still think making the shotgun a separate weapon would be a better choice, if only because then you'd have three weapon slots filled. You could even go ahead and give it a grenade altfire if you feel frisky.
I've decided I will replace the M16's rocket attachment with an underbarrel shotgun, but replace rockets with grenades that are thrown with weapon state 1-4. If you're opposed to this idea, however, please tell me.
I'm unsure how I will handle shotgun ammo if I do this, however. Shotgun shells and shell boxes are already replaced with 5.56 Magazines. I'm thinking maybe shell-boxes could be replaced with shells for the underbarrel shotgun, but regular shell drops are still 5.56 Magazines. This would somewhat preserve my intended ammo balance whilst still adding ammo for the shotgun, I think. Alternatively, I could replace Clips (dropped by zombiemen) with 5.56 magazines and have 9MM magazines be acquired through some other means, or maybe even give the pistol unlimited spare ammo. But then this would make this mod seem like even more of a ripoff of "The Soldier Z".
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

Maybe spawn some shotgun shells with the shotgun attachment and randomly spawn the shell boxes with the 5.56 ammo
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

VladTopol1706 wrote:Maybe spawn some shotgun shells with the shotgun attachment and randomly spawn the shell boxes with the 5.56 ammo
I'm unsure how to spawn multiple items with one replacement, but I'll figure something out. Thank you!
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

Its simple, just use this

Actor ShotgunAttachmentSpawner
{
DropItem ShotgunAttachment
DropItem ShotgunShells
DropItem ShotgunShells
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 0 A_Fall
Stop
}
}
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Interesting concept and really nifty sprite editings!

The mod plays nice as well. I had a nice experience. (Bonus points for Duke3D muzzle flash on pistol!)
I had a little personal project that aimed for minimalism in my files. But you know the way it goes. The more, the better.

But anyway, for the feedback.
Spoiler:
I have requests up to my chin, but this took like, 3 minutes to do, so i think it may incentivate you to keep workin it (It's supposed to be the shotgun attachment muzzle flash, don't laugh at me).

(teef and BRS if you are reading this, forgive me, i'll work your stuff as soon as i can).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”