Doctor Who: Darkness Of The Daleks

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hidden Hands

Doctor Who: Darkness Of The Daleks

Post by Hidden Hands »

This is a DOOM mod TC I am making in spare time. It is not my main focus, as my main focus is on my other games such as The Killing Joke and Horrifying: Resurrection Of The Dormant, but none the less, this one is still important so I'm going to share it here.

DARKNESS OF THE DALEKS is a Doctor Who themed mod, much like the classic Doctor Who Doom and Dalek Wars etc. but with one major difference. This game was created with heavy story, and a whole bunch of new elements from weapons to sounds enemies and more than anything.... atmosphere. It is designed to make the Daleks "scary" again. Back in the 60s, Daleks were considered "frightening" but now Doctor Who makes them seem like nothing more than a pest. This cannot be. They are meant to be the ultimate warrior race of evil in all the universe, and this mod aims to capture that again.

How is this being achieved?

Firstly, the story. In this mod, you play as The Doctor, but unlike most doctors he has no "number". He is referred to as just "The Zero Doctor". This keeps the game relevant no matter what era of the Doctor we are in. This Doctor is one of the most unfortunate however, because the Daleks have KILLED his assistant. Simple as that. No, he will not be able to save her. She is dead. And even if he wins this game, she will still be dead. Daleks are looking less of a joke already. Also, the music is based on horror-sci-fi ambient atmosphere to create a forboding feeling of ... DOOM... for lack of a better word. The Daleks in this game have many variants also. The previous DOOM mods for Doctor Who had only a few types but unlike that this one has a large roster of baddies.

1. Skaro Dalek
2. Chase Dalek
3. Warrior Dalek
4. Time War Dalek
5. Alpha Dalek
6. Black Dalek
7. Paradigm Dalek Drone
8. Paradigm Dalek Strategist
9. Davros

Too name but a few.

This game is meant to be scary. It is designed like the PS1 version of DOOM, with lots of atmosphere and threat. Also, the story can be made "cannon" if desired, as it follows the Volatix Cabal, the organisation of Daleks that went missing during the Time War (which means they never technically clarified if they survived or not) and so this can take place at any time or year without classing too badly with the TV series.

Here is a very extreme early demo video. No weapons have been added yet, using very splicy ones for the sake of the demo.

Follow this thread for updates on whats to come. Heres a few screenshots. NOTE: Elements in screenshots will definitely change by time of release - features some FREEDOOM elements for the time being.

As always, if anyone wants to submit things / resources for the project they are welcome. Either post them here or PM them if you prefer.
Attachments
The Paradigm Daleks and the Time War Daleks attack
The Paradigm Daleks and the Time War Daleks attack
Alpha Dalek with the Time War Daleks
Alpha Dalek with the Time War Daleks
Chase Daleks are coming!
Chase Daleks are coming!
Last edited by Hidden Hands on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doctor Who: Darkness Of The Daleks

Post by Wiw »

Looks like this might have promise.
spoone

Post by spoone »

Wow this looks awesome!!!! Huge fan of the show and am very interested to play this to get to know more about this incarnation of the Doctor. I have to ask. Were you planning on using the Tardis as a hub at all?
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

spoone wrote:Wow this looks awesome!!!! Huge fan of the show and am very interested to play this to get to know more about this incarnation of the Doctor. I have to ask. Were you planning on using the Tardis as a hub at all?
Well as I say, it's only in early development but yes, I am considering it if I can get it to work correctly. Stay tuned, updates will be shared soon.
spoone

Post by spoone »

Sweet.
BFG

Post by BFG »

My dad use to play this mod all the time in the 90's. Glad to see it come back.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I thought the Daleks could not use stairs. :P
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Here are some nicer (IMHO) Dalek sprites:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=40703#p730857
BFG

Post by BFG »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I thought the Daleks could not use stairs. :P
There is a check floor height code to prevent them from going up or down stairs.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Good! What would be even cooler would be to make a Dalek capable of hovering over stairs, like they did in the eponymous Christopher Eccleston episode.

Not sure if it is doable, though. But since the very goal of this mod is to reintroduce the Dalek as a formidable opponent, it certainly would be a nice touch.
Korell

Post by Korell »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Good! What would be even cooler would be to make a Dalek capable of hovering over stairs, like they did in the eponymous Christopher Eccleston episode.
Dalek's were hovering up stairs before Christopher Eccleston was the Doctor. https://blogtorwho.com/on-this-day-in-1 ... he-stairs/
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I did not know about that. I was under the impression that 'Dalek' was the episode that subverted the trope. Interesting!
Korell

Post by Korell »

I remember watching that Sylvester McCoy episode. I would have been about 6 at the time. He ran up the stairs to escape, but found the door at the top locked, but then the Dalek started hovering and came up after him. Can't for the life of me remember how he got out of it though. Clearly that one moment embedded itself in my memory for the sheer horror of the Dalek going up the stairs. :P
Last edited by Korell on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
spoone

Post by spoone »

Korell wrote:I remember watching that Sylvester Mccoy episode. I would have been about 6 at the time. He ran up the stairs to escape, but found the door at the top locked, but then the Dalek started hovering and came up after him. Can't for the life of me remember how he got out of it though. Clearly that one moment embedded itself in my memory for the sheer horror of the Dalek going up the stairs. :P
McCoy was always a wuss I found.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Oh yeah, I got that on DVD. Great stuff!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”