The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Captain J »

I just made Blood Sawed-off Shotgun's sound effects way better... I think!

It's been fun to edit some sound effects for some special doom mod.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Cluckin' Bell... You know who you are.
Trance

Post by Trance »

I don't know who I am. Maybe I'm Cluckin' Bell.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Big Smoke's Top Favorite?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Trance wrote:I don't know who I am. Maybe I'm Cluckin' Bell.
Captain J wrote:Big Smoke's Top Favorite?
You know nothing...Good.
Trance

Post by Trance »

How zen of you.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

So I get gas five hours ago and my car is fine, then comes time to take my niece to school and the tire is completely flat.

Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Finally got around to playing Metro 2033 after grabbing it and its sequel on sale somewhat recently.
Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I don't think it's actually good.

While I can't speak for the book it's based on, the game's writing seems far over the top. The gameplay hooks way too much into the classic "make the player really slow" trope, seasoned with clumsy controls, mediocre gunplay and enemies that are so twitchy that you'll inevitably end up missing a lot of easy shots.
And what's up with the "journal button" bringing up a lighter, which is necessary to burn through a special set of cobwebs (without a hint, even) whereas all webs prior have simply faded away on contact?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I made my new credit card and deposited some credit to my friend who drew something for my commission. Nothing is bad. But...

Is anyone having a slow connection problem when entering https://www.doomworld.com/idgames ? I somehow can't enter the site even though i tried the proxy.

EDIT: Never mind. I guess the server was in a pickle jar or something.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Dancso wrote:Finally got around to playing Metro 2033 after grabbing it and its sequel on sale somewhat recently.
Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I don't think it's actually good.

While I can't speak for the book it's based on, the game's writing seems far over the top. The gameplay hooks way too much into the classic "make the player really slow" trope, seasoned with clumsy controls, mediocre gunplay and enemies that are so twitchy that you'll inevitably end up missing a lot of easy shots.
And what's up with the "journal button" bringing up a lighter, which is necessary to burn through a special set of cobwebs (without a hint, even) whereas all webs prior have simply faded away on contact?
I like the world and general atmosphere that it has, which is what everyone ever says about Metro. I don't think the player is really slow, it's more that they're walking at the pace a normal person would walk. I thought burning the thicker webs was obvious? Could be all the Blood I've played.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

There are many threads online asking whether the spiderweb / your companion is bugged. He just stops in the middle of a train cart and says nothing. For a game that has such talkative characters, the sudden silence made me think a script got stuck. Furthermore, it's bad game design. While something may be obvious for certain players, others might need a slight hint eventually. The guy could have said "that looks too thick to pass, maybe you've got something to deal with it?" It seemed that the lighter's only purpose was to illuminate the objectives clipboard in dark areas, the one reason I even knew about its existence was looking at the "journal" as per the game's instruction early on (something I'd only need again to get a reminder if I left the game for months). If I had played on ranger mode (HUD-less), I wouldn't even know I had a lighter.

It also felt really weird to have one follower "tragically" die and get instantly replaced by another, literally dropping out of the ceiling at the same scene moments later. A minor issue, but it felt very game-y to me.
Another time, there is a constant flow of enemies coming from a tunnel. Suddenly my companion says "do not interfere". I begin wondering what he meant, turns out there was an anomaly coming from behind, but the game didn't do a good job of directing my attention towards it. Funnily enough, whereas the first time I was instructed to not move while an anomaly is near, it made no difference that I kept running and gunning while this second one was obviously scripted to only hit the enemies. I'm really struggling to get immersed.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Oh my shit, Commentocracy is just brill. I play games like a hardcore jerk, I cringe when people play badly on purpose, and I've made some people cringe at how seriously I take my games, and even I think the people the Duke is making fun of are going over the top.

I have never wanted a branded t-shirt harder.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

On a side note... Why do I keep forgetting to clean my glasses? I can instantly feel better by suddenly being able to see clearly.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Screenshot_Doom_20171014_025423.png
SWEET SHIT i have finally beaten Super Sonic Doom. With Ultra-Violence(Also ran Accessories to Murder together)! Hoh my god it was really challenging.

And sadly, there were some issues while playing this mod with some weapon mod such as AtM. Like, Sky City Zone Act 2 Boss' platforms near to switch are unable to land. Which it could've become a showstopper, but console helped me to beat the boss.
Spoiler: Also did you know?
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

For a long time I've thought that getting a modern overhaul of Super Sonic Doom would be awesome. It's always got a special place in my heart.

Return to “Off-Topic”