Hell on Earth Starter Pack Vanilla Improver

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nevander

Hell on Earth Starter Pack Vanilla Improver

Post by Nevander »

INTRO
Recently I completed the Hell on Earth Starter Pack finally but did not use Brutal Doom and instead used my own cosmetic mods that I normally use for playing anything else normally. There were quite a few things that I could tell were meant to be accompanied by Brutal Doom itself and the mapset was most definitely built and tested with Brutal Doom being loaded. This prompted me to start a "vanilla improver" WAD which fixes and changes things up for loading without Brutal Doom. In addition to that, it also polishes up some minor things that (in my opinion) made it less annoying to play and also enhanced the mapset for vanilla play. There are some things that cannot be fixed without editing the original WAD just due to the nature of how things were made, but they don't cause any problems.

FEATURES
- Fixed most console errors pertaining to missing textures (some are unfixable externally)
- Provided dummy actors to fix the unknown class script warnings when starting the mod
- Completely re-written MAPINFO lump to fix some issues with text screens and intermissions
- Re-written cluster text screens to fit better, sound better, and make more sense grammatically
- Glow effects from Brutal Doom are made part of the actual maps and not mod dependent
- Chairs and many other props made to be non-solid and unpushable to aid map navigation
NOTE: There is an exception, the cardboard box needs to be solid in order to finish MAP14: Warzone
- Fixed an issue with the Duke Nukem 3D gas tanks exploding into a normal Doom barrel
- Lowered the volume of the waterfall and other water sound effects ao they aren't so loud
- Intermissions will now play the title theme music instead of just the standard Doom II MIDI
- Belphegor Boss XDeath state fixed for running without Brutal Doom as to not vanish instantly
- Health of all bosses reduced to compensate for lower damage output of the vanilla arsenal
NOTE: The boss health bars will start already depleted by a certain amount when loading this
- Bombs dropped by jets will not send enemies flying everywhere anymore
- Reduced health of the Panzer tank and German attack dogs
- Lowered the damage of some boss and monster attacks
- Fall damage removed from all maps

DOWNLOAD:
hellonearthstarterpack_vanilla_improver_1.0.zip
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 3011 times
Right now this is for the version of the pack that is currently available. If the pack gets updated in the future, I will update this to take into account any new changes or improvements. Please let me know if you encounter any bugs or anything breaks.
SiFi270

Re: Hell on Earth Starter Pack Vanilla Improver

Post by SiFi270 »

You're doing the community a real favor here. I also made an addon like this that's a lot smaller in scope but may also be appreciated. All it does is replace certain voice clips I found particularly annoying (mainly the orders you hear at the very start and the tortured screams towards the end) were replaced with completely silent .oggs, each of them the exact same length as the original. When I put it like that it sounds hilariously inefficient, but to someone as inexperienced as me it seemed like the safest way to not mess anything up. So if anyone's interested, I can link to that too.
Voros

Post by Voros »

Sweet I briefly played the Stater Pack campaign without Brutal Doom and used things like Ketchup and a reload mod or just plain D4T.

It's nice to see this. It felt too unbalanced in vanilla.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

SiFi270 wrote:All it does is replace certain voice clips I found particularly annoying (mainly the orders you hear at the very start and the tortured screams towards the end) were replaced with completely silent .oggs, each of them the exact same length as the original. When I put it like that it sounds hilariously inefficient, but to someone as inexperienced as me it seemed like the safest way to not mess anything up.
That would be easy to add although I kinda like them (at least the first radio transmission when all Hell is breaking loose). The torture sounds help me locate the marine dudes so I can put them out of their misery, but can also be easily removed.

You could probably redefine those sounds to point to a null sound like dsempty in SNDINFO, no need to use silent OGGs. Even if you had to include a silent sound file, they can be any length or format, so you could copy dsempty and change the names and it would work too.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Thank you very much. I'd upload a file of that but now I've had a new idea I'd like to add to it, namely turning the pouncing imp graphics into blurry silhouettes like a picture of Bigfoot, so that if you're playing a monster mod of some kind it's not as jarring if it turns out not to be a standard imp.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

SiFi270 wrote:Thank you very much. I'd upload a file of that but now I've had a new idea I'd like to add to it, namely turning the pouncing imp graphics into blurry silhouettes like a picture of Bigfoot, so that if you're playing a monster mod of some kind it's not as jarring if it turns out not to be a standard imp.
*pounced by an imp*
"You thought it would be an imp, but it was I, DIO!"
*the imp was actually a vampire on a steamroller*
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

But then if you're playing with one of Skelegant's mods...
"You thought you were Dio, but it was I, DIO!"
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Thanks for fixing the intermission text i competed this once before and i noticed the further you got in the game the more the intermission text got real sloppy.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

it would be cool if there was a version for the Extermination Day one. cause i have other mods i wanna use other than Brutal Doom. and not have to worry about certain things that are needed from Brutal Doom itself
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Hey Nevander, if you ever get around to updating this again, I wanted to point out a problem with the mountable turrets. The whole way they're coded is weird to me, but what bugs me the most is that your armor type/class isn't remembered when you dismount. So when you for example mount it with 200 blue armor, it gets taken away until you dismount, at which point it gets returned to you in 200 armor bonuses or green armor respectively, which practically reduces your defense from 1/2 (50%) to 1/3 (33%).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”