I prefer 2160k 30fps to 1440p60fps in new games, am I crazy?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
invictius

I prefer 2160k 30fps to 1440p60fps in new games, am I crazy?

Post by invictius »

The jump from 1080p, even 1440 is just spectacular to me on a 50" screen. I don't notice the frame difference bumping zdoom up to 60, is 60fps over-rated? I get that reflex-important games such as intense FPS and racing games probably need it, but I'm trying mass effect andromeda atm which isn't constant shooting like COD.
Dancso

Re: I prefer 2160k 30fps to 1440p60fps in new games, am I cr

Post by Dancso »

It's all up to personal preference and what you're used to seeing.

A few years back my old PC couldn't deliver 60 fps in most games, I was really stubborn about graphical fidelity over a stable framerate so i was used to 20-30 fps.
Now that I've gotten used to stable 60 with my current PC, I can barely stand to go below ~50 (depends on the game though).
Similarly, a lot of people that I hear have invested in high fps monitors (120-144-etc) say they can no longer stand 60 fps and that there's big difference.. which makes me want to not expose myself to >60 until 4k can deliver higher framerates on a mainstream budget :P

One thing worth mentioning though, having a stable framerate is very important for some games, where unless you're manually limiting it to 30 (and never dipping under), it can result in very noticable loss of control.
4k is definitely a sight to behold. Even though people think it's too early, some less demanding titles (such as CS:GO) run really well, and some others can be made to run smoothly by dropping some post processing and antialiasing options, so I can definitely see the appeal of choosing resolution over framerate, within certain boundaries.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I used to leave cl_capfps on in ZDoom for years until this year when I started having to debug for things that would only show up when interpolation is on. For a while it always felt like "this isn't Doom, but some wacky modern-day emulator that's trying to replicate Doom behaviour but doesn't quite get it right".

Now going back I feel like I need to quit and check to see what's wrong with my computer...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I cannot tolerate 35 fps. It just appears too choppy. Fortunately, with today's graphics hardware, all a larger monitor needs is a more powerful graphics card, so don't cheap out there if you want ultra high res.
Of course, if you think you can run 4K on an integrated chipset - think again!
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I've got a 144hz monitor and it has ruined me. Trying to play fps games at 60 fps with a mouse is very difficult and hard to enjoy. 30 fps isn't even an option, I actually get naucious. 3rd person games I can get used to at 60, though if at all possible I will compromise graphics to get at least 90
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I used to hate 30fps on my notebook because the game was feeling actually slower than a normal 30fps gameplay.
It must be because The dedicated gpu was sending the rendered image to the integrated one and latter showed on screen.
So I'd prefer to have 60fps so the render lag from the other gpu isnt lower than 30fps.

I hope that with my new rig games will run at true 30/60fps.

Return to “Off-Topic”