[Discontinued] NC HUD v2.6.0 - September 7th, 2019

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nevander

Re: [WIP] NC HUD v1.32 - April 2nd, 2017

Post by Nevander »

Well what I meant was the HUD patch above will be compatible with the current version when I release it. It's basically a patch from the future in a sense. That means the patch is fine and won't need to be updated unless I update it for the next version of the HUD with ZScript (which might take a while if at all if I do that, since I haven't even touched ZScript yet). Although, I really like what I did to restore the HUD to the Normal statusbar and might do that for the TC's HUD patch.

What will be the minimum required GZDoom version for the next HUD update? I can't remember when full ZScript support was added but I am now using 2.4.0 of GZDoom as my primary version and I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place because 3.0.0 upwards FMOD was removed and I love me some FMOD.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Nevander wrote:Well what I meant was the HUD patch above will be compatible with the current version when I release it.
By "current" I meant version 1.3 of the TC.
What will be the minimum required GZDoom version for the next HUD update?
The ability to create status bars in ZScript was added in 3.0.0. But since I did all of the work and testing against 3.1.0, that's the minimum version.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Blue Shadow wrote:
Nevander wrote:Well what I meant was the HUD patch above will be compatible with the current version when I release it.
By "current" I meant version 1.3 of the TC.
It already is compatible, everything works except for the number 8 changing to blue and that's because of an actor name mismatch that is fixed in 1.4. Otherwise the HUD works as expected. But it's fine if you want to wait. When I put out 1.4 you could put it under old patches if you like since it would be for 1.32 of the HUD.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

EDIT: Wow. Nevermind again. The wiki is apparently wrong. It says only the last SBARINFO lump gets read and multiple need to be included but apparently loading the main HUD loads the HUD into Fullscreen, then loading the patch loads the new one into Normal which results in the HUD occupying both statusbars, with the one in Fullscreen being unaltered. :|

Got a small issue... for some reason I get different results by tweaking the HUD in screenblocks of 10 and 11 but only when the alt hud is off. What I tweak appears correctly with screenblocks set to 10 but looks unmodified when set to 11, almost as if 11 is a "backup" or something with all the unmodified alignments. I can't figure out why it would be different because there's only one status bar in the mod.

Checking in normal GZDoom, screenblocks set to 11 is the alt hud or normal ZDoom HUD depending on if the alt hud is on while 10 is the normal statusbar that should be getting replaced but the mod is also replacing the ZDoom normal HUD which has the alignments that don't seem to be getting changed.

Any idea what's going on here?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

If you want to clear the fullscreen version, provide an empty statusbar definition for it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Blue Shadow wrote:If you want to clear the fullscreen version, provide an empty statusbar definition for it.
Yea that's what I ended up doing. It was confusing me though because the wiki said only the last SBARINFO was read but apparently they are cumulative now.
Blue Shadow

Re: [Release] NC HUD v2.0.0 - October 1st, 2017

Post by Blue Shadow »

The new release is up! As usual refer to the first post for info on what's changed in this version and the download link.

@Patch maintainers: Check the "Old patches" section in the OP. If you have a patch or patches there, it either means that your patches require updating or they're not needed anymore. This, of course, depends on the changes you did and how significant they are. For instance, if all your patch is doing is making the HUD recognize the mod's weapons and/or ammo, then the patch is probably not needed.
TERMiNAL

Post by TERMiNAL »

Awesome hud! I am using it for PB 3.0 right now.

Is there any way to remove the item bar in the middle of the screen when you toggle the key? I like to just look in the corner for my items, instead of having the item bar in my face.

Just wondering if I could cancel out some code to not show it?

ACTUALLY, I just figured it out, I removed this code from "nch_basehud.zsc".

if(isInventoryBarVisible())
{
NCHF_DrawInventoryBar(nch_diparms, (0, 0), 5, DI_ITEM_CENTER | DI_SCREEN_CENTER | DI_DRAWCURSORFIRST);
}

:)
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I've been messing with this a bit and I'm pretty happy with how this new version has turned out. Having it auto detect ammo in mods without the need for patching is a godsend. That said, I did run into a few issues with some mods where ammo types were missing, in a weird order, or the wrong ones were being displayed in the list (like clip ammo from dual ammo weapons). I'm not sure if any of this is fixable, so I've created a few patches in the meantime. They're all pretty hacky - I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to ZScript, and the wiki doesn't provide much information either.

Faspons was missing the rifle ammo and grenades in the list, which I manually added. Weapons of Saturn lacked a few ammo types, which I also added. Final Doomer technically displays all ammo, but it does so from all of the characters, which isn't great. For that I couldn't figure out a good solution, so I manually supplied all ammo types and forced it to filter based on the character chosen. And Argent hasn't worked right since it was recently updated, including in patch 1.32. The HUDs seem be conflicting with each other, which renders Argent's upgrade menu invisible. Not sure how to fix that one.

Patch 2.0 for Faspons
Patch 2.0 for Final Doomer
Patch 2.0 for Weapons of Saturn
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

That's the trade off, unfortunately; you get automation, but lose fine control over what ammo to add and what ammo to leave out.
Tekish wrote:I did run into a few issues with some mods where ammo types were missing, in a weird order, or the wrong ones were being displayed in the list (like clip ammo from dual ammo weapons).
To give a quick summery on how it works: the HUD, firstly, goes through all the weapons which have slots assigned to, adding their ammo types to the list. Then, it goes through all the weapons currently present in the the player's inventory, again adding their ammo to the list. If an ammo type is missing its icon or it has one but is invalid, it won't make it to the list. The ammo types are ordered by weapon slot. This is why, for example, bullets come before shells, because the pistol (slot 2) comes before the shotgun (slot 3).
Final Doomer technically displays all ammo, but it does so from all of the characters, which isn't great.
There isn't much I can do about that, as there isn't a connection between a player class and a weapon or its slot.
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I see. The ordering especially makes more sense now, since some mods I tested have weird slots for the weapons. Thankfully, the ammo quirks seem to be exceptions rather than standard behavior. For when things don't work perfectly, it's at least possible to partially automate the process of adding/removing/sorting additional ammo types - even if the resulting code isn't pleasant to look at. Still, anything's better than the 100% manual entry of SBARINFO.
zimxpentagram

Post by zimxpentagram »

I love this hud and this new update has made it even better, keep up the work bro, but there one question that I would like to ask, how much are you going to add to the hud? You've added so much, what makes you keep going?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

zimxpentagram wrote:how much are you going to add to the hud?
At the moment, I have nothing. But you never know when something comes up.
what makes you keep going?
Not being fully satisfied with certain things, I suppose. I just want to make this as good as I possibly can. :)
Tekish

Post by Tekish »

I recently made some code changes to the patches for Final Doomer and Weapons of Saturn. According to the wiki, they now should perform infinitesimally better than before. I've also created a patch for Argent, which combines elements from NC HUD and the Argent statusbar to prevent the upgrade menu from being overwritten. I've also added a visible countdown timer for the grenades and made it so the number of grenades is always visible (instead of only showing a number greater than 1). The downside is that I currently can't manipulate or remove the inventory bar, so these changes are not reflected there. Blue, any chance you could make NCHF_DrawInventoryBar a virtual function?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Tekish wrote:I've also added a visible countdown timer for the grenades and made it so the number of grenades is always visible (instead of only showing a number greater than 1). The downside is that I currently can't manipulate or remove the inventory bar, so these changes are not reflected there.
If you want the inventory bar to always show the amount counter, pass the DI_ALWAYSSHOWCOUNTERS flag to NCHF_DrawInventoryBar().

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”