[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The_Old_Crow

Re: Doom Delta v2.0 BETA TEST!

Post by The_Old_Crow »

+1 for the choice of Pantera on the trailer...I'm DL'ing this right now.

Edit: Top notch work! Its a shame that I have to get some sleep lol.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Is there a GZDoom console command that I can use to help me locate Dolls? I am currently playing No End in Sight's E1M9 and I am experiencing the same issue than before.

Either I am very unlucky or there is something else going on. Most of the time, I can locate the Doll fairly easily, but on occasions, I just cannot.

I am using the Smart Scavenger mod with Doom Delta; do you think this could have something to do with my problem?
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Is there a GZDoom console command that I can use to help me locate Dolls? I am currently playing No End in Sight's E1M9 and I am experiencing the same issue than before.

Either I am very unlucky or there is something else going on. Most of the time, I can locate the Doll fairly easily, but on occasions, I just cannot.

I am using the Smart Scavenger mod with Doom Delta; do you think this could have something to do with my problem?

In my testing, the doll is found inside this room next to a soulsphere.

Not sure how you get inside this structure, but the room can be found inside it. If you have troubles in the future, you can use actorlist in the console and warp to the coordinates of the level's doll (which changes depending on the level.)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I did check that area, to no avail. It is a time-based secret: the area in the center of the map opens for a limited time after five minutes.

I am going to try playing Doom Delta without the Smart Scavenger addon, just to be sure.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Yep, Smart Scavenger seems to be what was causing the issue. I was able to find the Thi doll at the same location that you did.

As for NEIS, I tried teleporting to the location actorlist gave me, but all I could see was a dropped shotgun. I guess Smart Scavenger must occasionally turn the Dolls invisible or something...

Anyway, one thing I noticed as I was playing as Lorelei: sometimes, when she dies, she will let out a clearly male scream. So far, in my attempts to reproduce the issue, it seems to happen when I get blown up by an exploding barrel.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Doom Delta crashed while I was playing No End in Sight. I think it is the same issue I experienced with Hellbound.

Code: C0000005 (Access Violation - tried to read address 00000000061728C0)
Address: 000000013FB50E53
Flags: 00000000
Attachments
CrashReport2.zip
(19.14 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I see the Plasma Rifle sprites also get cut off at the bottom.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

After tirelessly working to recreate the crashes (to no avail), I have come up with a quick system in an attempt to diagnose the issue.

My hypothesis is that the wonky, unstable nature of the doll-spawning script is causing the crashes. The doll script will now print out what it is doing, and if whatever it is doing is causing the crashes, it'll be detectable from the crash logs. If you happen to crash, PLEASE GET THE LOG FROM THE CRASH REPORT! This also comes with some cleanup to the code thanks to TheZombieKiller!

download

There is also some other stuff in this build but the main focus is to get these crashes fixed!
Korell

Post by Korell »

I got a crash with the new download! Again it happened when Military Base E1M9 was loaded. Thing is, I played through the whole of Knee Deep In The Dead with no crashes, but on "Hey, not too rough" (which the console said was skill=1. So after that I set skill to 3 (which corresponds to Ultra-Violence) and I loaded up E1M9 and the level loaded fine. So I then loaded up E1M3 (still at skill=3) and I played through it to get to the secret exit, and then after the level stats finished and E1M9 was being loaded it caused the crash, and again the same error as before:

Code: Select all

Code: C0000005 (Access Violation - tried to read address 000002E57FAF6900)
Address: 00007FF690630E53
Flags: 00000000
So I saved the crash log, anyway. The log file ends with the following:

e1m9 - Military Base

Alright! We're now going to go through the process of spawning the doll actor.
If you experience a crash, please include this log.
Got IWAD identifier.
IWAD check complete: Doom 1
Level is ready to spawn a doll!
Preparing to spawn a DimitriDoll
Thinker iterator created.
So it never got to the line where it finds an actor to spawn the doll at.
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(20.65 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Try this build. Getting closer to figuring out the exact cause of the crashes!

download
Korell

Post by Korell »

DrPyspy wrote:Try this build. Getting closer to figuring out the exact cause of the crashes!

download
Okay, playing through E1M3 on Ultra-Violence again resulted in the crash with this version too. I've attached the Crash Report. It now gives what appears to be an issue with the doll, just as you thought.

e1m9 - Military Base

Alright! We're now going to go through the process of spawning the doll actor.
If you experience a crash, please include this log.
Got IWAD identifier.
IWAD check complete: Doom 1
Level is ready to spawn a doll!
Preparing to spawn a DimitriDoll
Thinker iterator created.
Looking for a good actor... [000001F009C97DC0]
Actor's sector is not null!
Actor's sector is not secret...
Looking for a good actor... [000001F06DAE7920]
Actor's sector is not secret...
Looking for a good actor... [000001F06DAE66F0]
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(21.48 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Out of curiosity, I tried NextMap-ing my way through Hellbound and NEIS - both mapsets where I experienced the crash - and nothing happened.

However, I am not sure if that is a good way to try reproducing the bug.

EDIT: Something really weird I just noticed is that, if I play the mapset normally, Dolls do not actually appear - even though the game tells they did spawn through a console message and also in the secrets count. However, if I use console commands ('nextmap' or 'map x', then 'no clip' to the Doll's spawning location), then the Doll does appear.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

If this build does not crash, then I may have found the cause of the problem.

download
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Am I supposed to be picking up a Doll right upon starting a level now?
Korell

Post by Korell »

DrPyspy wrote:If this build does not crash, then I may have found the cause of the problem.

download
Okay, I just repeated my test, starting a new game of Knee Deep in the Dead on Ultra-Violence and then using the map command to go to E1M3, then playing through to the secret level, E1M9. First thing to note, it didn't crash this time. Second thing to note, the dolls for E1M3 and E1M9 were both at the very start of the level (E1M3 usually puts the doll in the secret area just around the corner from where the rocket launcher is). So am I right in guessing you've forced the dolls to the start of the map to prevent the crash from their original spawning method?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”