Voxel Chibi Doom! Version 5.2 (Jan 24 2020)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cherno

Voxel Chibi Doom! Version 5.2 (Jan 24 2020)

Post by Cherno »

What is this?
A graphic mod for Doom & Doom II which replaces enemies and items with voxel objects in the chibi style of 3D Dot Game Heroes (Playstation 3 game). All voxel models were done with MagicaVoxel.

New in version 5:
  • Added simulated sunlight shader.
  • Converted all props to voxel models. The Icon of Sin spawn cube and hanging Commander Keen is still missing.
  • Smooth turning for monsters.
  • Various model fixes.
  • new style of voxel explosions, plus additional voxel blood.
What's actually in the mod?
All items and enemies that can be found in the regular Doom and Doom II campaigns. Decorations have also been converted. Some monsters may move a tiny bit slower or faster than in the original games, but you probably wouldn't notice it.
Enemies will explode into colorful little cubes when hit and killed, and flash white when damaged, like an old arcade game.

Chibi style?!?
For those who don't know, chibi is a visual style reminiscent of Japanese RPGs of the 80s and 90s from the 8 and 16 bit eras of videogames. Characters have overly large heads, often as big as the rest of their bodies. The reason for this is partially found in the technical limitations of the era, particularly screen resolution. In order to show a decent amount of the gameworld (often from an overhead or 3/4th perspective, like Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past), characters had to be drawn rather small which in turn meant that were they to fit on 16x16 pixel tiles (a very common tile size), artists had to find a way to make them stand out and let the player differentiate between them by their most prominent features, which would be their heads. So, the heads were increased in size, leading to a "cutesy" style that has become very popular.

3D Dot Game Heroes?
3DDGH is a Playstation 3 game that came out a few years ago. It is basically a love letter to Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana and similar games. It's graphic style is highly influenced by these titles but presents it's world in 3d using voxel objects, hence the "3D Dot" part in the title. The artists did an excellent job with the graphics and they were the perfect base for my own character conversions.
Spoiler: Screenshots
Download (needs GZDoom 4.3.3 or higher)
voxelchibi_v5.2.pk3

Recommended with:
Low-Res Doom! by Ezepov
Low-Res HUD by Wiw and Gollgagh
Low-Res Doom Menu by talisa
PC Speaker simulation by finnw
8-16 bit Music Replacements by PRIMEVAL

VoxelChibiDoom! is not compatible with 8bitblood.

If you decide to use any low-res mod, I suggest turning off advanced graphical features and things like texture filtering!
Last edited by Cherno on Mon May 03, 2021 3:08 am, edited 39 times in total.
jckfrbn

Re: Voxel Chibi Doom!

Post by jckfrbn »

First peice of advice, when you upload your mod check to make sure its the actual mod and not your launching bat file
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Thanks! I fixed it.
jckfrbn

Post by jckfrbn »

I like it, very charming and super neat. Hope to see the rest of the enemies/ bfg and plasma gun at some point :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

Holy shit, this actually looks decent in a lo-fi way. If you could downsample the level textures to look like blocky 32x32 textures, that'd gel the entire aesthetics even more.
Voros

Post by Voros »

Looks cute af, shame the colors look a bit flat. Adding some darker variation on the parts like under the arms, inner thigh, below chins, etc would help if you ask me.

Do the weapons have to be angled? Doom always looked good with centred weapons if you ask me.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Nash wrote:Holy shit, this actually looks decent in a lo-fi way. If you could downsample the level textures to look like blocky 32x32 textures, that'd gel the entire aesthetics even more.
I thought about that. It would certainly help with giving a more unified look between the voxels and environment. However, more than simple downsizing is required; bold colors and an altogether different art style is needed.
Voros wrote:Looks cute af, shame the colors look a bit flat. Adding some darker variation on the parts like under the arms, inner thigh, below chins, etc would help if you ask me.

Do the weapons have to be angled? Doom always looked good with centred weapons if you ask me.
I agree about the flatness of the colors. It looks so much better in 3DDGH but that's a completely different engine and those tiny normal maps that bring out every single voxel help a lot. Faking ambient occlusions isn't easy because a voxel can only have one color; it's not possible to have, say, the sides which lie below the arm a darker shade and the front brighter.

I considered centering the weapons but decided against it because the rather abstract way the voxel weapons look, I was afraid that they wouldn't be recognizeable at all were they to be centered. The shotgun would be just a thick white and grey strip, for example.

In the meantime, I finished the Cacodemon and next up is the Lost Soul.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

New version.

Changelog:
  • Took @Voros' suggestion to heart and added shading to most objects. It looks a lot better now, at least in my opinion!
  • All weapons included, and all have been resized.
  • All monsters included, except Archvile, Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind.
  • All items included, except IR Goggles and skull keys. Blursphere is considered WIP since I''m not happy with it.
Screenshots:

Mancubus and Megasphere

Arachnotrons:

Arachnotron fighting against a Revenant:

My personal favorites, Cacodemon and Pain Elemental (plus some Lost Souls): All hail the flying angry tomato!

Download:

voxelchibi_v2.pk3
Voros

Re: Voxel Chibi Doom! Update: 10/06/2017

Post by Voros »

Looks less flat, better than before.

Dat smile though :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.05 KiB) Viewed 23657 times
Ezepov

Post by Ezepov »

Low-res textures test
E1M1
Last edited by Ezepov on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

The textures came out great! I wouldn't have thought that this would work this well at all. did you just downscale them or did you have to edit some? The computer panels in particular show a surprising amount of detail even at this scale. 3D Dot Game Heroes uses a 1:2 pixel ratio for it's terrain (1 terrain voxel texture per 2 object voxels).

May I'll try my hand at a complete style change of the textures and environment so it looks like a weird cross between Legend of Zelda and Doom.
Ezepov

Post by Ezepov »

Cherno wrote:did you just downscale them or did you have to edit some?
I draw new textures.
Cherno wrote:3D Dot Game Heroes uses a 1:2 pixel ratio for it's terrain (1 terrain voxel texture per 2 object voxels).
1:2 looks better with your models:

Last edited by Ezepov on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Dragon

Post by Metal Dragon »

Honestly, while the "chibi" style isn't my cup of tea, I can appreciate the effort that has gone into this; it's still quite interesting to see Doom and Doom 2 with a new set of 3D assets. As for the texturing, it also looks interesting, and I was about to try my own hand at it, but I realise I don't need to. I still will though, just because I still can. I also do feel as though there is something off about the texturing, I'm just not sure what though. As negative as that may be; keep going, it is still perfectly good work and it would be great to see it to its completion, if not for everyone else, then for your own pride.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

This is adorable. Keep up the good work!

8-)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Thank you. I have started working on some decorations like toxic waste barrels and blood pools.

I also wonder, is it possible to change the blood decals that appear on the walls in GZDoom?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”