I can't install Daemon Tools

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
spoone

I can't install Daemon Tools

Post by spoone »

I had to put in a new hard drive because my old one failed. I have tried to install daemon tools on my computer and I haven't been able to because Microsoft .net framework 4.5 won't install. It keeps giving an error saying there's one that's trying to install. There isn't. How can I install Daemon tools now?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: I can't install Daemon Tools

Post by Kinsie »

The best solution is to not install Daemon Tools if you can help it, the free versions typically come with some nasty stuff in the installers nowadays IIRC.

WinCDEmu is a pretty great lightweight, open-source alternative that I've been using for a while with no problems.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

If you're using Windows 8 or newer you don't need any program to open ISOs, as Windows itself can mount them.
There's also this thing by Microsoft if you're on Windows 7 or older. It can mount ISOs as virtual CD/DVD drives. (I've never used it myself, but it should work)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

phantombeta wrote:If you're using Windows 8 or newer you don't need any program to open ISOs, as Windows itself can mount them.
This is a fair point, but it also doesn't accommodate things like BIN/CUE or CCD/IMG. For those, you need a third party tool.
spoone

Post by spoone »

Kinsie wrote:The best solution is to not install Daemon Tools if you can help it, the free versions typically come with some nasty stuff in the installers nowadays IIRC.

WinCDEmu is a pretty great lightweight, open-source alternative that I've been using for a while with no problems.
Oh my god thank you!!! This works way better than Daemon. Thank you soooo much.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

just to add on to the w8+ iso mounter thing, I have never gotten it to work. It's rejected tons of ISOs that WinCDEmu worked great on. I very much recommend WinCDEmu also.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I'm going to anti-recommend WinCDEmu because it can spontaneously unmount itself when any deeper CD access is involved (i.e. drm, redbook tracks) and recommend Virtual CloneDrive for it instead (provided you make your own CCD copies)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

There's also a handful of formats that WinCDEmu doesn't support (not ones in wide use, but ones in which no other format can be found).

Return to “Off-Topic”