Hodgepodge [final update]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [WIP] Hodgepodge v0.2.4 (Update 8/23/17)

Post by IdiotBitz »

Yep, double-post. And no, v0.3 ain't done yet, but unlike a month ago, progress is actually being made for once.

I've got a poll up about how frequently I should post here about the mod's progress. Do me a favor and vote on it. It'd be appreciated if ya did.

Oh, and obligatory update screenie:
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Both of these maps were an absolute blast! I really enjoyed what I've seen so far. Please continue doing more of this. That is all...
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

Voltcom9 wrote:Both of these maps were an absolute blast! I really enjoyed what I've seen so far. Please continue doing more of this. That is all...
Thanks for playing them! I'm currently working on the third level right now. Made a bit of progress in the past couple days. Here's a more recent screenie of what I've got done...

A few other things I am working on is adding TNT and Plutonia skyboxes and music to the Addon, and adding just a little bit more functionality throughout map 1 and 2, so they feel more fluent to traverse.

Also, thanks to those who voted in the poll. I'll keep your answers in mind next time I post here.
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

So, it's been a little over 2 weeks, so I might as well show some of the progress I've got done. I didn't get as much done as I had hoped I would've, but it's still something IMO.
These 2 images are from the new rooms that were shown in my previous post. I've gone and actually filled them with stuff instead of being boring empty rooms.
With how the size of the current rooms have been, I thought it would be a good idea to add a hub-like area that you can access throughout the level. Like that one thing I added in map 2, but kicked up to an eleven.

Also, I've decided that Map 04 from Doom 2 will be included in the mess that is this level, to help flow better with the episodic progression of Doom 1.

And lastly, I'm gonna add in deathmatch-compatible versions of Maps 1 and 2 to Version 0.3. I'm gonna make these separate maps from the singleplayer maps because these maps were not exactly deathmatch-friendly in their current state.

That's all I got for now, hopefully I'll get this level complete-able soon.

EDIT: I've just noticed that in one month it will have been 1 year since I first began this project. (and i still don't have map 3 done yet :( )
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

IdiotBitz wrote:EDIT: I've just noticed that in one month it will have been 1 year since I first began this project. (and i still don't have map 3 done yet :( )
Well at least you're working on it! These are good maps that take advantage of ZDoom features which to my knowledge are really rare. And at about three maps a year you'll have a a full map set in about eleven years, good way to get a Mordeth award. Hope you keep at it!
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Please make sure to complete this masterpiece of level design before I die, I beg of you. You should have at least 40-60 years to complete it I'm hoping. Is that enough time? :lol:
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

isaacpop23 wrote:
IdiotBitz wrote:quote within a quote
Well at least you're working on it! These are good maps that take advantage of ZDoom features which to my knowledge are really rare. And at about three maps a year you'll have a a full map set in about eleven years, good way to get a Mordeth award. Hope you keep at it!
Voltcom9 wrote:Please make sure to complete this masterpiece of level design before I die, I beg of you. You should have at least 40-60 years to complete it I'm hoping. Is that enough time? :lol:
Thanks for enjoying these levels! I'm hoping I'll get them finished before DOOM 2057 comes out. :D

I have the structure of the rest of the level 3 planned out, so the rest of the level will likely take less time to make.

Also, obligatory screenshot:
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

That looks awesome! Keep it up these maps are great.
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

A bit of time has passed since my last post, and I don't particularly like leaving people in the dark, so here I am.

Some IRL trouble has come along, nothing serious, but it has stopped me from getting any formidable amount of work done on map 3. That, and I am just lazy.

However, I have been doing a little bit of tinkering on the first 2 levels, implementing deathmatch stuff into the levels, which afterwards I soon discovered that deathmatch doesn't really bode well in levels not designed around it. The deathmatch stuff will remain in the mod. They'll be hidden, so only people who, for some reason really, really like these levels can find them.

Changes have been made regarding the more recently added "addon" file. I plan on adding more functionality for the addon file, so that it's not just a menu. For example, AFTER v0.3 is done, I want to experiment with adding optional custom decoration objects that can easily be toggled on/off through aforementioned addon menu.

Also, I've found a workaround that allows Zandronum users to access the custom menu without doing anything intrusive. Instead of completely redesigning the options menu so that people can access my menu, I added a key in the controls menu which opens the menu. In my opinion, this is the best option to choose from if I want to give access to the menu for Zandronum users while remaining the most compatibility with other mods as possible.

Lastly, I've done a bit more touchups on map 1 and 2, experimenting around with some features, seeing what works and what doesn't. Some noticeable touchups could be some iconic details from the original maps that I somehow neglected to add onto mine.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

is this mod still being worked on? i tried to demo of this mod. seems cool. and i'm curious to see how it turns out with more maps and stuff added
IdiotBitz

Post by IdiotBitz »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:is this mod still being worked on? i tried to demo of this mod. seems cool. and i'm curious to see how it turns out with more maps and stuff added
No, the project is not dead. However, I have not had as much enthusiasm to work on it as I had anticipated back in my last post around a month ago.

I have made progress on map 3, however, it's not as much progress as I had hoped I would make. I'm really hoping I can pick up the pace so I can get most of map 3 done before 2018.

I'm considering uploading what I currently have to abide the people who have waited for me to actually finish this. If this shows interest, I'll do it.

So, here's the progress I've made during the past month:
-Did stuff in map 3.
-Added some stuff in the addon file for people to mess around with.
-Added some quality of life changes to map 1 and 2.
-Implemented some behind-the-scene stuff that will be used if I ever finish v0.3.

(oh, and some update screenies.)

Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Ya upload the progress!!!

Remember you have say like 40 years or so to finish this off, so if you get tired of it just take a break from it and come back to it another time. :)
There is no rush, it will be done when it is done.
IdiotBitz

Re: [ON HOLD] Hodgepodge v0.3 [Test] (Update 12/5/17)

Post by IdiotBitz »

The newest version of Hodgepodge has been uploaded. Check the OP for more details.

Here's a list of what I've done ripped straight from the changelog.
-Fixed some stuff in map 1 again.
-Revamped multiple rooms in map 2.
-Added half of map 3.
-Added some new skyboxes.
-Made a Zandronum-friendly options menu.
-Added more options to tinker with in the addon menu.
-Made that acid part of map 2 not terrible.
-Made some minor rebalancing changes on the maps to fit better with the flow of the original maps.

Lastly, I am now officially placing this mod on hold. The mod is not dead, however, I don't expect to be finishing it anytime soon. If I do, it'll be a Christmas miracle.
IdiotBitz

Re: Hodgepodge v0.3 [Test] (Update 12/5/17)

Post by IdiotBitz »

Hello again. I'm happy to inform you that after a 3 month hiatus, this project is no longer on hold. Thank you to everyone who has played this mod in the past and everyone who has just now stumbled upon this mod.

I've got a lot of changes under my belt, and quite a few more in the works.

Here's a general list of the things that are currently done:
---Level One has been overhauled.
-Changed/Fixed a whole buttload of textures to have a sense of continuity across all maps.
-Monster placement has been slightly reworked for better balance and to better match the placement in the original DOOM 1 and 2.
-More details have been added to places that felt too barren or looked too much like its original counterpart. See the image above for example.
-ACS is now more properly utilized in the level. Thanks to the new scripts implemented into the map, certain areas have been changed to add more functionality into the map.

---The Addon file has some new features as well.
-Implemented optional DOOM 1 textures into places that should have DOOM 1 textures. Can be disabled for people who use custom texture packs.
-New customization options are available in the menu. This includes scripted autosaves, performance/compatibility mode (not fully utilized yet), and more optional decoration replacers.

-Also the test deathmatch level was removed, cuz it was dumb and nobody wanted it in the current state.
-And Zandronum compatibility was fixed. (Not sure when it was broken in the first place...)

And here is a list of features that currently in the works:
-Overhaul level 2 and (finally) finish the second half of level 3.
-Finish implementing the rest of the item replacers.
-Make the GZDOOM portals a toggle-able feature for use in the performance mode.
-Stop being a lazy cunt and finish the project you started 1.5 years ago.

On the topic of this project's age, I'll make sure to tell you right now that Level 3 is going to get finished before August 27th, 2018. Surely I can finish up just one simple level within 5 months, can't I?

Anyways, I've not got a new version released yet, however, I will be uploading one in less than a week, once I iron out any new bugs that have appeared from my tinkering.
I've updated the OP a bit to let people know that this project is now in progress again. Thanks again for playing my maps. :D
isaacpop23

Re: Hodgepodge v0.3 [Test] (No Longer On Hold)

Post by isaacpop23 »

IdiotBitz wrote: Here's a general list of the things that are currently done:
Yay improvements!
IdiotBitz wrote: And here is a list of features that currently in the works:
And more to come!

Hopefully those overhauls fix the relatively few issues I had with the first two maps, if not I'll put them up after paying the new ones. I never brought themup before mostly cause I'm lazy, sorry.
IdiotBitz wrote:Anyways, I've not got a new version released yet, however, I will be uploading one in less than a week.
Eh, one more week isn't that long, I can wait. ^^

Return to “Levels”