How to keep track of thing IDs?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
arachnotron

How to keep track of thing IDs?

Post by arachnotron »

I like to download a bunch of resources, bundle them inside a pk3 file and then use that to get inspired when im mapping. The thing is, it seems an act of insanity trying to keep track of each ID number that has already been used to not overlap it with some other stuff. Why doesn't DoomBuilder prompt you that an ID is being used by 2 things at the same time or something at least? So you could know the ones you need to change.

Edit: this is what I meant with ID:

Last edited by arachnotron on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nevander

Re: How to keep track of thing IDs?

Post by Nevander »

Not sure which kind of ID you mean, so I will cover all.

Odds are individual resources like that won't play nicely together out of the box. The only way to handle it is to re-package them all together in one file and make changes to their various IDs such as DoomEd number and SpawnID. Now if you mean TID (in-editor tags), GZDoom Builder will allow you to click a "New" or "Unused" button so that they always stay new. Failing that, you just have to keep track manually as you make the map.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

arachnotron wrote:Why doesn't DoomBuilder prompt you that an ID is being used by 2 things at the same time or something at least? So you could know the ones you need to change.
That's a drawback, among others, of using Doombuilder2.
About a year and a half ago, MaxED added a Tag Explorer plugin in GZDoom Builder r2553, which does exactly what you are looking for. Alas, it does not take DECORATE actors in consideration. Would fantastic though if that could be added.

The Tag Exlorer is also present in GZDoom Builder-Bugfix.
Spoiler:
arachnotron

Post by arachnotron »

Kappes Buur wrote:
arachnotron wrote:Why doesn't DoomBuilder prompt you that an ID is being used by 2 things at the same time or something at least? So you could know the ones you need to change.
That's a drawback, among others, of using Doombuilder2.
About a year and a half ago, MaxED added a Tag Explorer plugin in GZDoom Builder r2553, which does exactly what you are looking for. Alas, it does not take DECORATE actors in consideration. Would fantastic though if that could be added.

The Tag Exlorer is also present in GZDoom Builder-Bugfix.
Spoiler:
Im not talking about tags but this:

I just find it insanely annoying that apparently there's no way to keep track of these. The default ones are all over the place, then the ones you download, some come already numbered, others you have to number manually and since there isn't a list to see what one are in use, you may be overlapping them with other things and you don't even know it and you waste time trying to guarantee this. THe editor should tell you that number is in use already at least.

ALso im using GZDoom Builder (Bugfix) R2990
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

What I would do is use [wiki=Editor_number_definition]MAPINFO[/wiki] to assign these DoomEd numbers instead. This way the assignment is done in a single place, and in the form of an easy-to-manage list. And to make it even easier to manage, I'd sort the list by the DoomEd number, so that I can quickly know if a number is already used or not.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

I really dont get your problem. The gzdoom builder can show you thing types with their doomed numbers...
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

arachnotron wrote:THe editor should tell you that number is in use already at least.
Considering the editor has literally no way to set the editor numbers of actors, that seems like a pretty extraneous feature.

On the other hand, the ZDoom wiki has a page listing the [wiki]standard editor numbers[/wiki] of all actors defined in the base games, which makes a fair bit more sense considering it holds information for actually defining new actors and setting their editor numbers.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Perhaps he wants something like cybermind's Map Balancer plugin for vanilla Doom format, but for HF or UDMF
Spoiler:
However, cybermind has no plans to expand to other formats, which then would have to include DECORATE actors to be useful.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”