The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Nash »

Master of Disasters wrote:Or is it me not understanding the hardships of animating models?
Correct.

Amuscaria's sculpt was probably done on some high density, dynamically sculptable mesh which would most likely not have the optimized, game-ready topology that real-time 3D models need. At best, once that sculpt is done, it would have to be manually retopologized (by carefully building a low poly model on top of the high res sculpt, taking into account an animation-friendly edge flow across the entire model). The normals from that high res sculpt would then have to be baked on to the texture for the low red model to use.

The art of building animation-friendly game-ready meshes alone is a skill that requires consistent practice and a deep understanding of how to deform meshes in real-time (because if you don't know this, you'll end up building meshes that won't deform nicely and will look all distorted and stuff as you bend the limbs).

With that, comes the process of rigging the model, again, another kind of art that requires practice.

So no, in most cases, you can't just sculpt stuff in high res and expect to be able to correctly rig it and drop it into a game engine. It's unfortunately not that simple.

I'm not saying these things are impossible; anyone can learn them, but perfecting them is something that even the pro artists spend the rest of their life doing...

And lastly, as leileilol previously mentioned; it doesn't stop there. Doom's archaic 4-frame walk cycles would NOT look good with real-time deformed models. You would have to rewrite actual actor code to utilize more frames of animations, possibly even more advanced AI (as Doom's 8-direction zig-zagging movement will look awkward with fully 3D actors)...

[EDIT] leileilol's quote explained it perfectly:
any attempt at high definition in such a game of its age will only accenutate the age further, especially when the actor code is so old and doesn't account for natural movement, motion tweening, bones etc. it'll be uncanny and fall into the same pit Doomsday always does.
In short, tons of work with very specific, dedicated skills required.
Master of Disasters

Post by Master of Disasters »

Nash wrote:all the tech.
Hot damn! I'm speechless, but now at least I know why Doom will always be sprites.
I'm really not looking forward to when I have to do 3D modeling in college now.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Your school will almost certainly give you a lot of lead up before you end up making models for use in a game engine, so you'll have plenty of time to get the hang of it.

Also, conversations like this are what I love about this community. Just putting that out there.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Cherno

Post by Cherno »

^Very impressive, especially the sprite layering system.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

So close to finally getting Doomvengers release ready. Had to rewrite a number of things so it would work on the latest GZDoom. I love it, but I'm def done working on it. Gonna move on to revamping and releasing Maelstrom's Heretic: Element Storm (with his permission) after that. Because we all need more Heretic mods, right?
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Captain Ventris wrote:Because we all need more Heretic mods, right?
Yes.

(The only thing we need more are proper MRJ-style mapsets.)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh, oh! Including Strife mods too? :O
Nash

Post by Nash »

GPL-friendly dog sprite replacement. Modeled from scratch.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nash wrote:GPL-friendly dog sprite replacement. Modeled from scratch.
Excellent!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Zanieon wrote:*Berserk in 3D*
how BERSERKIN'! I also expected the fataility animation too. But never mind! It's bloody enough.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Finally put out the final release of Doomvengers. Sheesh. Also the Villain pack! Put a loooot of work into that one. Now I just hope people play and enjoy it!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

New trailer for Ashes 2063. First attempt at video software. Any tips on how to get it to show up like a thumbnail? Like the videos above?

I'm lost haha

edit: Thanks Weasel. I was looking on the built in Forum FAQ. Guess I missed the one you guys wrote. Oops.
Last edited by Vostyok on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Vostyok wrote:New trailer for Ashes 2063. First attempt at video software. Any tips on how to get it to show up like a thumbnail? Like the videos above?

I'm lost haha
Instructions are cleverly hidden in the Image and Video Posting Rules. Hope they're helpful to you!

Return to “Off-Topic”