Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [ALPHA RELEASED]

Post by Firebrand »

This looks like a pretty interesting mapset for Heretic, always nice to see people doing maps for it :), I want to wait to play it when it's complete, thought, keep up the great work! :D
HexenMapper

Re: Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [ALPHA RELEASED]

Post by HexenMapper »

Cheers Firebrand, most of the maps are looking great - just a few minor graphical issues on one map in E2 that we're working on. E1 should be working fine, but we'll release a beta and/or perhaps finished release in the next few days
HexenMapper

Re: Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [BETA RELEASED]

Post by HexenMapper »

Beta now released (Link in OP)

Now up to 17 maps!
guineu

Post by guineu »

Nice project. Starting e1m6 now and enjoying it so far.

One thing I noticed, I don't think this button at the end of e1m5 is supposed to look like this? It's flat and only visible from one side. It's a mandatory button so I guess it would've been reported already so maybe it's on my end only? I'm using GZDoom 3.1 and I think I'm using the alpha release of Hump since I downloaded it a couple days ago.
Screenshot_Heretic_20170929_191052.jpg
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Good spotting guineu, it's not supposed to look like that :)

We did some edits to that map and I think I know what might have gone wrong. Cheers for the report!

EDIT: ok the problem should be solved. Beta version has been updated (same link)
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I'm glad this seems to be moving along nicely, gonna check out the current version :D
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Well folks, we've done some testing, fixed some bugs, noted some other bugs (mostly in GZDoom) added Doomsday map definitions and added the latest version of the maps.

HUMP is now released! v1.1

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hyh7q4k2b3alg0g/HUMP.zip

Link is also in the OP

Congrats to everyone involved, some really excellent maps in there. You should all be very happy, both new mappers to heretic and the older hands to mapping.

Ryuhi wrote:I'm glad this seems to be moving along nicely, gonna check out the current version :D
We just released the 1.0 version, so you arrived at a good time! :)
HexenMapper

Re: Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

Post by HexenMapper »

A couple of minor edits - E1M4 had some bleed issues due to invisible sectors being 'fixed' in GZDoom Builder, but we've solved these problems, thanks to Xindage and Walter Confetti.

HUMP latest version is 1.2. it has been updated in the OP link. The link is the same

EDIT: a few more edits based on bug reports - latest now 1.3
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Well - I am trying this out, and I gotta say there's a huge variation of quality in the maps - as to be expected with community projects, I suppose. Overall though I think you guys did a good job. :)

I haven't played through all of them yet but E2M2 is turning out to be my favorite so far. I really love the teleporters and the variations between large sections of the map. It feels like you're really going from one really remote area to another.

In the interest of not causing upset I won't post my critiques here. All I can say is - I would definitely encourage others to try this out, and post your own opinions about it. :) I think it's worth the time.

Good job leading this, HexenMapper!
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Thanks Rachel, glad you're enjoying it :)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've just tried it and looks pretty good. Of course as expected it works with Romero's Heresy II. :)

As a side note skies in classic software mode (both truecolor and paletted) still look bad in GZDoom 3.2 in all sky modes (they are tiled and capped skies only work in Doom).
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

drfrag wrote: As a side note skies in classic software mode (both truecolor and paletted) still look bad in GZDoom 3.2 in all sky modes (they are tiled and capped skies only work in Doom).
You can use "cl_oldfreelooklimit true" and it'll correct this for you, with the unfortunate restriction on your pitch range.

But otherwise, that is a bug and if it's not yet reported, it should be. I don't know if I can take a crack at fixing it myself, but I've a bit on my to-do list before I go back to doing things like that again.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

drfrag wrote:I've just tried it and looks pretty good. Of course as expected it works with Romero's Heresy II. :)
Just tried it with this mod and its pretty fun! nice work.

Romero's Heresy seems to replace the HUMP title screen though (I suppose you have to load them in the right order?)

Also the Baron can't make most of the important jumps in E1M8 :)
jmtd

Post by jmtd »

Rachael wrote:In the interest of not causing upset I won't post my critiques here. All I can say is - I would definitely encourage others to try this out, and post your own opinions about it. :) I think it's worth the time.
Thank you for the plug! I can't speak for the other authors but for me, at least (E1M6), any feedback is better than none!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Thanks. Well i've loaded HUMP.wad after Heresy II and no problem with the title screen.
About the Baron that's unfortunate. :) Sure he's somewhat slower but still pretty fast for being a Baron.

On the sky problem may be i should report it, a already mentioned it in the ZDoom32 thread.

Return to “Levels”