Modified GZDoom crashes at startup with Reshade

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Modified GZDoom crashes at startup with Reshade

Post by Xane123 »

This isn't in bug reports because it isn't a problem with the game itself, as my modified GZDoom version will run fine every time if Reshade isn't installed. I have no idea what causes this, either, so it'd be a bad bug report.

Basically, I can remember I was changing settings to make Reshade's alpha 0.75 but as I was typing the number into the text field, the game crashed with a "very fatal error", not the one in the attached crash report. I was in the save game menu because SHIFT+F2 makes it appear when Reshade's menu appeared. Here's a picture of that dialog I still have, though:
Picture of initial very fatal error. The commit in the picture is wrong, it's now based on commit d7164ba4e1fc1b7ba6710feb1a8af2abe7172892.
Picture of initial very fatal error. The commit in the picture is wrong, it's now based on commit d7164ba4e1fc1b7ba6710feb1a8af2abe7172892.
Now, every time the game tries to start and Reshade's DLL is included, the game crashes but it didn't before. The crash report that's attached is the very fatal error that appears right before the 3D view or title screen would appear. Not sure what Reshade set off that makes GZDoom always crash with it... Still, just in case anyone can spot a bug in this to fix, if there is one, here's the crash report from my TC's modified GZDoom version.
MMACrashReport.zip
Crash report. No helpful info is probably included.
(22.47 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
I also tried typing "0.75" in the Save Game screen but it doesn't crash. Reshade must be causing it, obviously, but I'd like to use it with my game as someone converted Sonic Mania's CRT filters and I think they look cool on my game...it'd be nice if they could be converted to GZDoom's shader format instead, because then I wouldn't need Reshade. Is there anything I can try to get Reshade working again?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Modified GZDoom crashes at startup with Reshade

Post by Rachael »

This crash is in Reshade, itself.

You should run this to their development team, with your GZDoom crash report (it should be fine to use the one posted here, it contains plenty of debugging info they can use), so they can take a look at it.
Xane123

Post by Xane123 »

Gotcha. When I saw the "ZDoom Very Fatal Crash" dialog, I thought it was the engine crashing, not Reshade, though if it was GZDoom, it would still be crashing. I guess I should report it to Reshade to see if they could fix it...as I've said, running Sonic Mania's CRT filter was cool while it lasted.

EDIT: Yep, not sure what Reshade does to make GZDoom read invalid memory or whatever, but the initial configuration file it generates only has shader and texture paths but lets the game start. Otherwise, it crashes if it's like the other INI file. Not sure how I'll tell it to Reshade themselves other than to download my whole game then try messing with their alpha setting only to see the game crash...or to just modify the paths in opengl32.ini to their installed directory then run it and see it crash.
Tested: Game works again if Reshade is reinstalled.
Tested: Game works again if Reshade is reinstalled.
Last edited by Xane123 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

GZDoom is able to catch exceptions in external code due to the way exception handling works. When code is passed off to an external DLL the crash logger is still set in the CPU as the error trap. So when the processor throws an error, the trap is triggered and the crash logger goes off.

That's okay, though, because it still generates debug info about what caused the crash - and in this case it's OpenGL32.dll which GZDoom does not control. Considering you're using Reshade, though, that means that your alternate OpenGL DLL was loaded, so therefore that's where the crash lies.
Xane123

Post by Xane123 »

Ah, it makes sense! I reinstalled Reshade and its default .ini doesn't cause GZDoom to crash, so something new it added to opengl32.ini made it try something GZDoom didn't like. I'll have to find out what causes it then give them the info (and maybe the .ini) so they can fix it.

Return to “Technical Issues”