Netronian Chaos V.3.57: The Final, Last, Concluding Update

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Netronian Chaos : Cosmic Adventures with Wars and Aliens

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I wasn't that much into cartoon mods. You changed my mind captain.

On the good, the weapons feel incredibily smooth and confortable to use, and the sounds have a nice mix between modern games and old sounds.

I want to play this not only with Chex, but Adventures of Square as well. Feel free to give a look on how Flakes Doom does it (sorta).

Only thing i noticed, Annilinhator hasn't ADS or zooming animations. Intentional?

Also, if i hold zoom button and press and hold fire at the same time, service pistol fires non-stop. Haven't tested with another guns now, but is this intentional too?

Good good good good job man, this is very fun.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

:biggrin:
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

YES
ALL THE YES
Everything feels weighty and satisfying and the pixel art somehow makes the weapons even more satisfying to fire :D
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

That was pretty cool! I ended up playing with my (incomplete) cartoon textures pack lol. The animations are really nice (i love that double barrel shotgun's animations), although it would be nicer if some of the weapons didn't use a simple bobbing reloading animation like from Goldeneye. The rifle with the laser pointer is neat, although I suppose that laser light should be animated when it's activated. That auto-piledriver thing is kinda neat, but I feel like it should be a little stronger. Maybe the secondary attack can charge it up to deliver a slow powerful blow?

Aside from the minor critiques, I enjoyed it! What's the next plan for this mod? New enemies?
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

When you have the throwing knife, if you pick it up and drop it repeatedly it will give you up to 6 ammo, and many of the weapons do not work well if you turn on infinite ammo.
Other than that this is a super cool mod. The weapon feedback is great and THe only non-bug thing I'd like to see change is the addition of a quick-melee type thing.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Thanks a lot for the replies and feedback, guys! Iooks like i'm going to have some fun bug-fixing times now! Well, in a good way.
chronoteeth(Responses are colored red) wrote:couple lil factors tho that are not much of an annoyance

-SSG feels like it'd so benefit from a double shot alt fire
A: I'd love to, but i don't want to break the rule of the mod; Only Unique weapons have Alt-fire. But hey, firing each time quickly could give you the more momentum.
-every weapon key from 1-8 has 3 weapons, except key 4? not the biggest issue but it is a bit jarring
A: Owww, someone finally found it out. Yeah, i was planned to make another slot 4 weapon. But it looked pretty boring and won't gonna be stronger as Machine Carbine. But i'll consider about it.
-switching key 5 weapons, especially from the HMG to the AK is confusing since they look similar
A: And that's how weapon tags are here for! Oh, and you can drop either weapons if it's still confusing.
-speaking of which, ejection port of the ak on the left side, yet doesnt move and eject, and the casings come from the right?
A: Just for decoration. Cases are coming from actual ejection port. Or if i can go with tactically, You can modify this gun into left-hand friendly. But alas, Eilidh is not a left hand user.
And thank you so much for kind words and feedback, though! I got the additional slot 4 weapon and considering about it.
Outtagum wrote:There does seem to be an issue when one picks up a key - The HUD doesn't update to show the pick up. Also, the episode titles are from Doom. However, neither are game-breakers and I'm sure you've got better things to bother about than making the game 100% CQ compatible. After all, I'm probably the only person on the forum who cares about this working with CQ! :)
Aaaaaw shoot. Probably i forgot to fix this before i sleep. Thanks for pointing that out!
GAA1992 wrote:I want to play this not only with Chex, but Adventures of Square as well. Feel free to give a look on how Flakes Doom does it (sorta).
A: Well, if only TAOS is completely released, i'll consider about it! Of course it's gonna be hard, but patience!
Only thing i noticed, Annilinhator hasn't ADS or zooming animations. Intentional?
A: Of course it's intentional. Two reasons; It's unnecessary to add zoom command for short-ranged projectile weapon. And It breaks the animation.
Also, if i hold zoom button and press and hold fire at the same time, service pistol fires non-stop. Haven't tested with another guns now, but is this intentional too?
A: That's a new one. Definitely not intentional. I'd better figure out how can i fix this big-time bug.
Thanks to you too. And i'm so glad that you finally likes mspaint themed doom mod. And more wonders will come soon!
Doomenator wrote::biggrin:
So it begiiiins! :D
lizardcommando wrote:it would be nicer if some of the weapons didn't use a simple bobbing reloading animation like from Goldeneye.
A: That was also i aimed for. IMO, vanilla bobbing animation gives me a headache quickly. And i tried to add some unique feature, too.
The rifle with the laser pointer is neat, although I suppose that laser light should be animated when it's activated. That auto-piledriver thing is kinda neat, but I feel like it should be a little stronger. Maybe the secondary attack can charge it up to deliver a slow powerful blow?
A: Now that's the idea i thought a year ago. Although only unique weapon can have Alt-Fire, but Anaika Dagger is not so special right now. So I think it could have one punch blow.
Aside from the minor critiques, I enjoyed it! What's the next plan for this mod? New enemies?
A: You've guessed it! New enemies... After i fix some bugs around here!
zrrion the insect wrote:When you have the throwing knife, if you pick it up and drop it repeatedly it will give you up to 6 ammo, and many of the weapons do not work well if you turn on infinite ammo.
Already fixed the throwing knife bug... But infinite ammo? Believe me or not, it kinda works as i intended but Sweeper becomes GOD GUN when i turn it on. Better check this out.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Many thanks for you guys' feedback! I've fixed some bugs and updated it into V.1.5! Still some problems remains, but please enjoy the mod after i completely fix them all!

Changelog:
- Now Throwing knife won't give you ammo when dropped from your hand.
- Chex Quest keys will show icons on the HUD when picked up.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

slipgate.wad?
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Liking pretty much everything except the 6 weapon + knife limit, even just bumping it up by one would fix the problem of having to drop a pistol or smg for one of the bfg swaps, plus It's always going to bug me not being able to have at least one weapon per slot since you will never have a "full" arsenal to pull from. It doesn't really feel like a meaningful choice when you already have that many weapons, just an annoyance. Oh, and making the starting knife drop-able would keep there from needing to be another slot added on top of that.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Good point. But i added such weapon limit to make you think which weapon you prefer despite it's weak or overpowered, since every weapons has their own advantage and pickup and use them wisely. And maybe it's not meaningful at all, but at least it's kinda better than browsing through tons of weapons you've got until you find the good one in any kind of sticky situation.

Oh, and i see you edited your post. And yeah. I'll consider to make knife dropable.
Gideon020 wrote:slipgate.wad?
Oh whelp, my mistake! I forgot to get rid of that wad when uploading. I still enjoy slipgate.wad, it's very fun! And please Re-Download again!
Atik

Post by Atik »

Played around some with the mod, including trying it out with Chex Quest. It's quite fun, although I have two small issues that I noticed early. They're really minor, but I felt like I should say something.

1. Pistol ammo is VERY small. Occasionally hides very well beneath the bodies of zombie soldiers, and easy to miss.
2. I feel like there should perhaps be a 'grace period' if possible when I drop a gun that I can't pick that gun back up right away. It's a little annoying trying to drop weapons on the fly, and picking them right back up.

If I could suggest anything, I would like to see perhaps an "auto-throw" for empty weapons, with the exception of the starting gun. I can see the certain balancing issue with the idea, but I think it would add a neat flavor to the limited weapon space.
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Captain J wrote: but at least it's kinda better than browsing through tons of weapons you've got until you find the good one in any kind of sticky situation.
Having one weapon for each slot wouldn't make it any more complicated than stock Doom? Actually that would be less complicated because Doom 2 gave you two melee weapons and two shotguns.

You have great weapon variety already, no need to have an odd handicap like that.

Actually, would it be possible to make the backpack add one extra slot on pickup the first time you get one?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Atik wrote:1. Pistol ammo is VERY small. Occasionally hides very well beneath the bodies of zombie soldiers, and easy to miss.
A: Noted. I have thought it's very small to detect.
2. I feel like there should perhaps be a 'grace period' if possible when I drop a gun that I can't pick that gun back up right away. It's a little annoying trying to drop weapons on the fly, and picking them right back up.
A: Although I took the code from weapon-limited doom mods like Wildweasel's Magnum Opus, i can make them fall very quickly. Is this okay?
If I could suggest anything, I would like to see perhaps an "auto-throw" for empty weapons, with the exception of the starting gun. I can see the certain balancing issue with the idea, but I think it would add a neat flavor to the limited weapon space.
A: Good idea, but we can drop weapons manually. Dropping them automatically in some kind of bottomless pits during the battle would be saddening.
Crimsondrgn wrote:Having one weapon for each slot wouldn't make it any more complicated than stock Doom? Actually that would be less complicated because Doom 2 gave you two melee weapons and two shotguns.

You have great weapon variety already, no need to have an odd handicap like that.
I don't find it complicated, we can find out which gun is very helpful and sort them out in each slots. And without weapon limitation, still it would be very confusing to browse through. But thanks for your feedback.

EDIT:
Crimsondrgn wrote:Actually, would it be possible to make the backpack add one extra slot on pickup the first time you get one?
You know what? I have thought about that. I'll consider about it.
Crimsondrgn

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Also staring at those three rounds on the full hud makes me think they could be used for something, first thought was them working like smart bombs you see in shmups, damage to everything around you or in your view. Second thought was three special shots for some uber weapon.

This is all just my head pondering on them, not really suggestions.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, there's no way to tell how many shots you have with the secondary fire of the PDA smg.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Unfortunately those are just for decorations. Wanted to fill the HUD nicely, but i guess it's a bit distracting, eh?
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, there's no way to tell how many shots you have with the secondary fire of the PDA smg.
And thank god you noticed that. Gotta add the numbers of EMP Bolts.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”