3 simple questions

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
lonleyglobe0

3 simple questions

Post by lonleyglobe0 »

Ok, So I have 3 questions:
(I AM USING A .PK3 INSTEAD OF A WAD)

1. In DOOMBUILDER 2 is it possible to change the speed the walls scroll without ACS?

2. Using decorate, How do I make a drivable train in ZDOOM, Making it work like one of the vehicles in Sargent MKIV's vehicle pack. Further more would I need to make tracks in decorate, and how would I make curved tracks and sloped ones

3. If Doom's code falls under the GNU license, Would that make the code public domain? And if I make a game using it, Am I allowed to sell it commercially or would I have to pay royalties to ID software or Bethesda.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: 3 simple questions

Post by Caligari87 »

1. You can use one of the scrolling specials on your lines/sectors, these have speed controls.

1a: You should be using GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix. DoomBuilder 2 is *extremely* outdated and no longer supported.

2. This is extremely complex and you should consider starting much simpler. GZDoom has no concept of "vehicles" or vehicle physics so everything must be hacked together from scratch.

3. Doom's original source is GPL (not GNU), and GPL is NOT public domain. I don't think GZDoom is quite fully GPL-compliant (yet, it's getting there) so you should not use it for selling games unless:
A) you understand copyright law and can read/follow software licenses.
B) you know which parts of the engine need to be modified to meet GPL compliance.
C) can edit the engine code accordingly.

8-)
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

@Caligari87
IIRC the code is GPL compliant. In fact, wasn't Rachael working on splitting the non-GPL stuff in GZDoom.pk3 into an extra file that gets automatically loaded if present?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I've been following that. Was that the last barrier to full GPL compliance? I thought there was something else.

8-)
lonleyglobe0

Post by lonleyglobe0 »

Yo thanks guys
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Caligari87 wrote:I've been following that. Was that the last barrier to full GPL compliance? I thought there was something else.

8-)
I think that was the last bit. It's in Windows devbuilds now.
lonleyglobe0

Post by lonleyglobe0 »

Caligari87 wrote: 1a: You should be using GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix. DoomBuilder 2 is *extremely* outdated and no longer supported.

3. Doom's original source is GPL (not GNU), and GPL is NOT public domain. I don't think GZDoom is quite fully GPL-compliant (yet, it's getting there) so you should not use it for selling games unless:
A) you understand copyright law and can read/follow software licenses.
B) you know which parts of the engine need to be modified to meet GPL compliance.
C) can edit the engine code accordingly.

8-)
1. Just so you know I am using Doom Builder 2 instead of GZDoombuilder to make maps compatible for DOS-BOX, ZDaemon and Chocolate Doom for that authentic experience.

3. Aren't GPL and GNU public License the same as they are both used for open source/public domain code and software?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

lonleyglobe0 wrote:3. Aren't GPL and GNU public License the same as they are both used for open source/public domain code and software?
Yes, but this point is very important and cannot be emphasized enough: GPL is not public domain!

GPL is a protected license, and the reasoning is to prevent people and companies from making money off of it without sharing it with others. Take a little, give a little.
lonleyglobe0

Post by lonleyglobe0 »

Rachael wrote:
lonleyglobe0 wrote:3. Aren't GPL and GNU public License the same as they are both used for open source/public domain code and software?
Yes, but this point is very important and cannot be emphasized enough: GPL is not public domain!

GPL is a protected license, and the reasoning is to prevent people and companies from making money off of it without sharing it with others. Take a little, give a little.
Thanks for clearing that up with me :)
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

lonleyglobe0 wrote:1. Just so you know I am using Doom Builder 2 instead of GZDoombuilder to make maps compatible for DOS-BOX, ZDaemon and Chocolate Doom for that authentic experience.
GZDoom Builder is an upgrade of Doom Builder 2 that's actively developed, which has numerous new features including but not exclusively those geared towards GZDoom.

It does not, in any way, shape, or form, remove the ability to create maps for formats that aren't GZDoom exclusive, in fact it enhances it. Basically, it's named after the fact that it improves the ability to make maps for GZDoom through features such as drawing 3D floors and slopes in 3D mode, not that it's only for making maps for GZDoom.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

And this confusion about it is probably one of the many reasons why it was suggested GZDBBF gets a name change. ;)
lonleyglobe0

Post by lonleyglobe0 »

Arctangent wrote:
lonleyglobe0 wrote:1. Just so you know I am using Doom Builder 2 instead of GZDoombuilder to make maps compatible for DOS-BOX, ZDaemon and Chocolate Doom for that authentic experience.
GZDoom Builder is an upgrade of Doom Builder 2 that's actively developed, which has numerous new features including but not exclusively those geared towards GZDoom.

It does not, in any way, shape, or form, remove the ability to create maps for formats that aren't GZDoom exclusive, in fact it enhances it. Basically, it's named after the fact that it improves the ability to make maps for GZDoom through features such as drawing 3D floors and slopes in 3D mode, not that it's only for making maps for GZDoom.
I can't be bothered downloading GZDoombuilder anyway...
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

lonleyglobe0 wrote:I can't be bothered downloading GZDoombuilder anyway...
Then it's unlikely we can help you if you run into any problems relating to Doom Builder 2. As we'll just say that you should upgrade to GZDoom Builder. Despite its name, you can enable through its settings Doom in Doom Format so you can go back to making maps for Vanilla/Chocolate Doom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Doom Builder 2 is old. If you insist on continuing to use it you are on your own. In such cases everybody will advise to upgrade, but if that's not an option you will have to sort out your problems yourself.
lonleyglobe0

Post by lonleyglobe0 »

Hellser wrote:
lonleyglobe0 wrote:I can't be bothered downloading GZDoombuilder anyway...
Then it's unlikely we can help you if you run into any problems relating to Doom Builder 2. As we'll just say that you should upgrade to GZDoom Builder. Despite its name, you can enable through its settings Doom in Doom Format so you can go back to making maps for Vanilla/Chocolate Doom.
Thanks for telling me that! Now Im definitely gonna upgrade!

Return to “Editing (Archive)”