[v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [v1.0.1] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Post by Xaser »

Outtagum wrote:If you're still working on this, I wonder if it's possible to add an option to colour the numbers according to the monsters' blood? I use nashgore and I would love to shoot a Caco and see blue numbers fly off as well as, say, green numbers flying off a Hellknight injured by splash damage. :)
I may tinker with that at some point, though blood color translations are known to be weird, even in ZScript. Having a tri-state switch between "use damagetype colors", "use blood colors", and "always use the color I, the user, specify no matter what, dude" would work for switching between 'em.

For now, I've gone ahead and uploaded v1.0.1, which adds support for non-standard IWADs like Delaweare et.al, and also cut a GitHub Release for the fun of it. It indeed works quite well! :D
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Thanks for considering my suggestion. Version 1.0.1 is now in my Autoload. :)
DnB-Freak

Post by DnB-Freak »

I'd like it alot.
It really reminds about World of WarCraft floating damage text xD
Fits perfect in one of my mods.
Keep it up :)
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

Nice mod. Looks like a barrel of fun. :D

Is there a possibility you can add text, for gibbing, one hit kills and multi-kills. This could really increase the fun with smart-ass lines for cool kills and skill shots. Imagine that in Multiplayer? :)
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

So... your mod does this with PB voxel project. for some... odd reason?
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Small bug report:

If an enemy has more health than its base health (for example an Imp that normally has 60 HP but has 120 HP via UDMF), that enemy won't spawn DamNums until its current health drops below its base health. You can also observe this with the player character. Simply go into chasecam mode and step onto a damaging floor. If you have ≥ 100 HP, either through Health Bonuses, Soulsphere or a Megasphere, there won't be any numbers until your health drops below 100.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This bug also applies to Legendary monsters in LegenDoom, who are given health values higher than their spawnhealth by a script. It makes the process of identifying legendaries before engaging them a little bit too easy. =P
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

thank you i love it i use it all the time
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Hey Xaser, I figured I'd mention that GZDoom 3.7.1 throws up a small warning on startup when this mod is loaded, saying the following:

Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Just found this. This mod is extremely useful for balancing weapons. Thanks for this. :D
Xaser

Re: [v1.0.2] DamNums - Universal Damage Numbers

Post by Xaser »

Heyo! Glad y'all are enjoying it! And thanks for the reports -- finally circled back to this after aeons and released a new version. Link & changelog are in the OP.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Dunno what causes this, but if the player is hit on some maps (discovered this with Joy of Mapping 4 & 5, so it might be because of scripted maps) more than one DamNum appears. e.g. Imp hits the player with a fireball for 6 damage, and two or more 6's are spewing out.

Edit: Didn't test if it has something to do with loading a saved game or of the aforementioned map compilations' built-in pistol start option.
SpiffyJUNIOR

Post by SpiffyJUNIOR »

Is it okay to bundle this with my mod? You never mentioned if it was okay to do so.
Tony Tortellini

Post by Tony Tortellini »

First, I just want to thank you Xaser for your fantastic work on this mod! I've loaded it practically every time I've played Doom for the last year, and it's greatly improved my experience. I've found it so useful, that I've been making some tweaks to it here and there, that I hope you won't mind me sharing with the community.

Attached is an edited version of DamNums v1.0.2 that adds the following:
  • Added an option to set the minimum health of actors to display damage numbers for.
  • Implemented a sliding window mechanic for tracking damage. Instead of showing damage on each tick separately, damage over a window of configurable length will be summed and shown as a single number. Defaults to 5 ticks. Enabling shotgun spray mode effectively disables this windowing, as does setting the length of the window to 1 tick.
  • To further improve visibility of multiple damage numbers on the same actor, damage numbers are now thrown slightly left or right relative to the player with some random variation in velocity.
  • Velocity and size of the damage numbers are scaled by the damage magnitude. Now your big hits will have big numbers, in both senses of the word! Multipliers can be configured separately for velocity and size. Two configuration options are provided:
    • Multiplier baseline - The amount of damage that should produce a multiplier of 1 (i.e., multiplier is determined by dividing damage magnitude by this number, before being bounded). The multiplier is always lower bounded by 1, so damage smaller than the baseline amount won't appear smaller than the standard font size.
    • Maximum multiplier - The multiplier applied to velocity/size will be upper bounded by this value.
  • Added an "overkill" option. If enabled and the damage to be shown exceeds a configurable value, it will be shown in the floating style (no gravity) with very little upward velocity, regardless of the toss/float physics setting. This helps huge damage really stand out, especially if you're using the toss physics option.
  • Implemented coloring of damage numbers based on the magnitude of the damage. 6 tiers of damage are supported, each with configurable bounds and color. When setting the bounds you should make sure that each tier has a higher bound than the tier below it, as in the default config. It won't crash if you violate this constraint, but the coloring probably won't work quite right either.
I setup the default configuration for the new features based mostly on my own play of Brutal Doom/Project Brutality, so it'll likely need some tweaking to look good with vanilla or other wads. I tried to make as much as I could configurable through the ingame menu so people can configure these features to their needs.

Thanks again for your great work! These tweaks were only easy to make because of the solid foundation you laid.
Attachments
damnums_tonyedit_options.jpg
damnums_v1.0.2_tonyedit_v1.pk3
(97.98 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
namsan

Post by namsan »

Tony, this is awesome.
I especially like the feature that makes big damage numbers bigger.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”