The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
DoomKrakken

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by DoomKrakken »

phantombeta wrote:Uhhh... This is weird. Something happened on my PC that literally hasn't happened in years...

So, someone sent me a direct link to a FurAffinity image. I clicked on it, but for some reason Pale Moon wouldn't load it, saying that it couldn't establish a connection to d.facdn.net.
They sent me the link to the post, and when I looked there /none/ of the images on the website would load, for some reason. I force-terminated a connection to FA earlier through COMODO Firewall, so I thought maybe I accidentally blocked d.facdn.net. I moused over the firewall's tray icon and double clicked it...

Then my secondary monitor went black and the primary monitor went blue... And there it was, a huge ":(" staring into my fucking soul.

I'm not sure why I got a BSOD. Or how. Apparently it was memory corruption or something, according to the error code.
I hope my RAM is okay. I don't have money to buy replacement RAM. >_> (right now it's working fine)
phantombeta wrote:So, someone sent me a direct link to a FurAffinity image.
Lesson of the day: Dem furreh sites r bayt.

Ok, ok... in all seriousness, that's one of the weirdest things I've heard happen to a computer. Although... it's not surprising, especially in this day and age.

Now, what's this "Pale Moon"?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

@phantombeta: There are definitely some sketchy websites out there but none should cause your computer to BSOD like that.

What more than likely happened is something went faulty with your Comodo firewall driver. Since drivers, unlike applications, have absolute, authoritative, and unfettered access to your system, the potential for damage is huge - so when the kernel traps an exception or thinks something went wrong with it, it will BSOD the entire system as a precaution.

@DoomKrakken: Also "Pale Moon" is a version of Firefox that was forked from before the latest UI changes - it has actual browser buttons and isn't Firefox's imitation of Chrome. Wikipedia
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

What I don't get is why images wouldn't load.
And it was basically only images hosted on d.facdn.net. The images hosted on the site itself, such as smileys and the header image, showed up fine IIRC. (Even images that were definitely cached, such as some people's avatars, didn't load)

And yeah, I already suspected it was the Firewall's fault or something. Weirdly enough, though, this is the first time it has ever given me problems.
(Aside from one time where the main window wouldn't open for some reason. Opening any of the settings windows through the tray icon's right click menu worked, but the main window wouldn't open no matter what I did.)
Is there any way to find out what exactly caused a BSOD without the memory dump? Windows decided to delete it automatically since I have less than 25 GB of free space :\

Right now I'm looking through the logs in the Windows Log Viewer to see if there's anything useful.
One thing I'm wondering is this:

Code: Select all

O(s) seguinte(s) driver(s) de início do sistema ou de inicialização não foram carregados: 
dam
Translated somewhat literally, it means

Code: Select all

The following system start or initialization drivers were not loaded
dam
What is "dam"?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

phantombeta wrote:What is "dam"?
http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/dam/
phantombeta wrote:Is there any way to find out what exactly caused a BSOD without the memory dump?
Not that I know of. >_< You already checked the event viewer and found it to be largely unhelpful - which is the first place I would look, but my guess is the event viewer service depends on those dump files to figure out what's happening when it is unable to run (i.e. during a blue screen).
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

I'm actually, for reals, doing some stuff in Doomvengers for final release. Got menu options for toggling the special items, bosses, and monster-multiplier mid-game. Not TOO much else needs doing, but we'll see. First time I've really had the modding opportunity in a while!
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

DOOM for Switch?! What is this madness
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

And wolf II, hype
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now finally Nintendo is getting off no-violence or no-controversial rules, huh? I definitely can see the possibility here. :P
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Captain J wrote:Now finally Nintendo is getting off no-violence or no-controversial rules, huh?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Call me sega-ignorant, but i think mostly sega did made some violent games for nintendo consoles but other companies. :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Captain J wrote:Call me sega-ignorant, but i think mostly sega did made some violent games for nintendo consoles but other companies. :P
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Nintendo game covers aside, a new Turok game (as opposed to just the remastered N64 versions) would be awesome.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

And i think i made my terrible mistake! :P

Return to “Off-Topic”