The Ultimate Torment & Torture: Supportive Edition

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

The Ultimate Torment & Torture: Supportive Edition

Post by TerminusEst13 »

viewtopic.php?t=14722 - Original project topic.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/4 ... 102-final/ - Original on Doomworld.

Ten years ago, the Ultimate Torment & Torture was uploaded to /idgames. A lot of things have been said about it. Some good. Some bad!
But for me, alongside Scythe 2, Dissolution, Psychic, Equinox, Agent Diaz, and other things, Ultimate Torment n' Torture is one of the old projects that got me into the Doom community and inspired me to start modding it. I've long since went my own direction with my own philosophies and ideas, but even now looking back I can't help but be fond of this mapset.
And now, here we are, ten years later. My, how time flies.

The Ultimate Torment & Torture is a mapset by Tormentor667 that's a rework of his Torment & Torture series, with an additional episode (Havoc) added on. At the time, it was the strongest display of GZDoom's capabilities, especially for maps, with custom textures, custom sprites, custom enemies, custom weapons, ACS accentuating every map, and more. It won an award. Fun stuff.
Ten years later, and gameplay mods have become a huge thing--possibly one of the biggest selling points for using GZDoom over other engines. Gameplay mods have exploded both in popularity and ease of use to make. They may not be the "proper" way to play the game, but it's fun to go through mapsets we love and experience them in a brand-new way.

In February 2015, Skillsaw came out with Valiant, a truly magnificent mapset. It made use of custom monsters and weapons combined with his skill at mapping and created something astounding. In December 2015, Skillsaw took it and made a "vaccinated" edition, removing the custom monsters and weapons and replacing them with vanilla equivalents, providing an alternative mapset that people could play with gameplay mods. It wasn't the intended experience at all, but it sure was fun to go through.
This is the same thing, but for Ultimate Torment & Torture. For the most part, this is still the same mapset as Ultimate Torment & Torture, only extremely minor changes to the maps have been made for streamlining gameplay (i.e. the open courtyard on TNT01 is no longer cluttered with stalagmites, the lowering-pillars on TNT04CN lower slower, etc). The only major changes have been in enemy placement, variety, and what type of enemies there are; with this, people are now able to play through with the gameplay mod of their choice, providing a new way to play the game.

ALL CHANGES MADE:
Spoiler:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4p2zW ... sp=sharing - Mapset download (53.8mb)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4p2zW ... sp=sharing - Voice acting download (2.47mb)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Ultimate Torment & Torture: Supportive Edition

Post by Kinsie »

I highly recommend using this with Samsara. The new player classes feel really suited to the levels. Also, Duke practically starts MAP01 with the Explosive Shotgun, which comes in really handy.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I notice in the changelog it's "most" custom monsters, excluding bosses. Would going all the way to full 100% vanilla be possible? I'd like to give this a shot with Hideous Destructor (as I am wont to do) even if some of the boss battles are neutered or altered from the original vision.

8-)
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

My only complaint is that the first episode BFG area is now a rocket launcher spawn. :P
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Caligari87 wrote:I notice in the changelog it's "most" custom monsters, excluding bosses. Would going all the way to full 100% vanilla be possible? I'd like to give this a shot with Hideous Destructor (as I am wont to do) even if some of the boss battles are neutered or altered from the original vision.
That'd be possible but the fights would be incredibly underwhelming, and rejiggering the Source would be, uh, interesting. So I'd make it an additional .pk3, probably.
I'll give it a shot down the line.
Gideon020 wrote:My only complaint is that the first episode BFG area is now a rocket launcher spawn. :P
On second consideration, changing it to an RL was silly because you already get an RL in the level. So I changed it to a plasma rifle. Fixed and re-uploaded, thank you.
Orangewaggs

Post by Orangewaggs »

This is a pretty neat idea.
Kinda makes me wish other wads were made to follow suit!
downloading now.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Thanks for this one. I always loved the mapsets of this mod. I'd recommend using Quake Ranger from Samsara for this.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well done Terminus, really well done :) Thanks for bringing some attention to this old beast again.

Are you okay with hosting this at the Realm667?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Sure, I'd be fine with that.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

This is really quite awesome! It's fun replaying this using different user mods. I've been playing through this using 'Space Hunter' which has been an absolute blast so far. I enjoyed these maps back when they were released and am loving playing through them again, with mods. Great idea doing this Terminus!
Gabbuz85

Post by Gabbuz85 »

OMG, my wish is granted.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

yep, no more making unofficial mapinfo patches that replace the tutnt weapons and ammo and monsters with vanilla counterparts
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

At the entrance of the Tech Center in 'Opening Abyss', one of the Pinkies seems to be stuck.
Martinoz
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Martinoz »

Fantastic mappack, it's really great to play.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Oh, nice. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Return to “Levels”