[Hexen & Heretic] Resound - upd 05/09/2022

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Aethun

[Hexen & Heretic] Resound - upd 05/09/2022

Post by Aethun »

New Sounds for Heretic & Hexen

ReSOUND HERETIC
Spoiler:
ReSOUND HEXEN
Spoiler:
Videos:
Spoiler:
Old:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Aethun on Sun May 22, 2022 7:49 am, edited 15 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Hexen] Remixed & Remastered Sounds

Post by Captain J »

It sounds really interesting. Also i can hear some retrospective ones as well! Excellent work!
Aethun

Re: [Hexen & Heretic] Remixed & Remastered Sounds - New Vers

Post by Aethun »

Up!!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

You mean updated? If so, glad this thread is still alive and such. You've done a great job!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

This is amazing!!! Finally, high-quality sounds for Heretic and Hexen! :D

Of course, some of these aren't based off of the original sounds, but they fit nonetheless! :D

I gotta run this with Guncaster and Trailblazer...

I gotta say, you did an awesome job with these sounds. While the quality is top-notch, Baratus's pain sounds from the video don't sound too much like a hit sound... they unfortunately sound more like someone pretending to get hurt...
Aethun

Post by Aethun »

Thank you very much.

The work is still not finished, there are still the voices of Korax, to improve certain voices (unfortunately I agree with DoomKraken, but the sources have not given more, I have to keep looking), and as soon as someone is encouraged to do the female sprites of the protagonists, add the voices for these XD
The truth is that after listening to everything there is for Doom, I needed more sound banks for Hexen, and I hope I can do it for Heretic.

Thanks for the answers.
a cordial greeting
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Panzermann11 »

If possible, could you try to make a Perkiristan's HQ Doom Sounds inspired version where sounds are HQ but they sound exactly the same as default ones?
Just use Sound Ideas or anything, IDK.

Perkiristan's HQ Doom sounds link:
http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml

Remember, they have to sound exactly like the default ones. Sounds that aren't perfect but close enough are acceptable.

Edit: Seems that some of the sounds in Hexen isn't in Sound Ideas but a sound libary that no one or barely anyone knows about. I guess the best we can do is ask Kevin Schilder about the sounds in Hexen or something like that.
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sound design is not magic. Unless you can track down the exact source of the sound (which is not something usually documented), you cannot simply make a "high quality" version that sounds "exactly the same" as the default. At best you could get something that only vaguely resembles the original sound. What you're asking is a really tall order - we only have PK's doom sound pack because the Sound Ideas library was already extremely well known. Nobody has any idea where the Heretic and Hexen sounds came from, unless something's changed in the last 24 years.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

And ironically, i'm still trying to find some high quality sound effects used from certain old games like Heretic, Duke 3d, Hexen and more. However it's not really easy because of their obscurity and even if i found some them, they're always stuck in some sound library with rather high price. But the good thing is i can merge the old and new sound to make it a bit high quality... That doesn't mean i can take your request. Just saying that you actually can do the same thing as i do.

Maybe this will help to satisfy your needs though. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=53943
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

wildweasel wrote:Sound design is not magic. Unless you can track down the exact source of the sound (which is not something usually documented), you cannot simply make a "high quality" version that sounds "exactly the same" as the default. At best you could get something that only vaguely resembles the original sound. What you're asking is a really tall order - we only have PK's doom sound pack because the Sound Ideas library was already extremely well known. Nobody has any idea where the Heretic and Hexen sounds came from, unless something's changed in the last 24 years.
Oh, I see.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

I was actually able to track down a few stock sounds that Hexen used, although from other games so sound quality varies. They're definitely stock sounds; not sure what library though. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=55871&p=988228&hil ... er#p988228
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

meatman12 wrote:I was actually able to track down a few stock sounds that Hexen used, although from other games so sound quality varies. They're definitely stock sounds; not sure what library though. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=55871&p=988228&hil ... er#p988228
That's pretty great, I guess our only hope for an actual Hexen HQ sound mod is asking Kevin Schidler how he got the sounds from. If he's still around, that is.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Hey, I just found this thread in the Doomworld forums with a Heretic HQ soundpack:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/5 ... ed/?page=2

I realized some of the sounds in Heretic are from the Sound Ideas libary. Perhaps there's still hope for us...
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aethun

Re: [Hexen & Heretic] R&R Sounds - Heretic small Update

Post by Aethun »

Wow! more sound banks!
Actually For Hexen I am using a mixture of my sounds with the sound bank of Xeotrid.

Small Update for the sound of the wand and the hellstaff. Heretic version.
Aethun

Re: [Hexen & Heretic] Resound - upd 05/09/2022

Post by Aethun »

Up for your delight! :lol:

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”