The Railgunner Sketch Pad™

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
TheRailgunner

The Railgunner Sketch Pad™

Post by TheRailgunner »

I'm back from the proverbial dead (fried HDD, briefly homeless, etc.,), and I'm trying to get back into the weapon design game/re-establish my forum presence.

So, umm, images:
Spoiler:
EDIT - 4 September 2017:

Levels for Nukage (note lack of ceiling heights and sector light)
Spoiler:
Weapons for Nukage and Research & Destroy:
Spoiler:
New weapon concepts:
Spoiler:
I'll post more as I sketch more things.
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: The Railgunner Sketch Pad™

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

WOOOOOOW. Really nice drawings.

I wish i could make strasight lines like that without a ruler.

Also, i always wonder if the secret service or anybody peeps their eyes on forums like ours for ideas and projects. I mean, they did that to the GURPS RPG, hahahaha.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

More sketches!

Levels for Nukage (note lack of ceiling heights and sector light)
Spoiler:
Weapons for Nukage and Research & Destroy:
Spoiler:
New weapon concepts:
Spoiler:
TheRailgunner

Re: The Railgunner Sketch Pad™ (It Won't Stay Dead!)

Post by TheRailgunner »

Wow, it's really been nearly four years since the last time I posted anything in this thread? A shame - here's a few doodles!

Weapons:
Spoiler:
People (oh, wow, that's a first for me):
Spoiler:
Something entirely different:
Spoiler:
I've got more sketches somewhere, but I'll have to find them and scan them first. Unfortunately, Doom Builder wouldn't play fair with my Nukage demos, so I don't have a properly-textured version of the mapset anymore (it basically forgets the custom textures I made for it even exist, and thus wipes the information entirely, leaving me with nothing but untextured maps; as a number of those textures were custom-made for specific sections of the map and must be aligned precisely - and manually - I'd have to do it all over again and hope DB doesn't just "forget" again).
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Hey, I'm still not dead!

Anyway, this:
Spoiler:
(sorry about the lower sketch being practically invisible)

The Marco Inline Six (holy shit, that abbreviates to "MI6") is a ergonomic reorientation of the conventional rifle layout, placing the center of the stock, the trigger, and barrel axis in a straight line. The advantage here is that it places all of the recoil-relevant parts of the weapon on the same axis, dead-center of the rifle itself (on the vertical axis, anyway). The disadvantages to this design are that because this is accomplished by placing the entirety of the weapon's action in front of the trigger, as opposed to above it, this makes the rifle longer than most as well as making it exceptionally front-heavy. In addition, I'm beginning to wonder whether putting all of these parts in line with each other actually REDUCES recoil and muzzle climb, or just makes it unpredictable (almost all rifles climb upward when fired, including ones with inline stocks such as, well, basically any military rifle or civilian equivalent; placing the recoil axis in the weapon's vertical center might actually make muzzle climb unpredictable/cause it to climb in any random-ass direction as opposed to the more predictable upward climb most rifles have).

Apart from that, the Six has an ambidextrous charging handle, four-setting fire selector, and way too many magazine releases (it does, in fact, have both AR-15 and AR-18 style mag releases).

Finally, any serious mechanical failure will almost certainly result in the chaotic disassembly of the trigger finger, if not the whole hand, as the bolt is housed directly in front of the trigger. Pre-preorder yours TODAY! Just $[REDACTED].99!

Return to “Resources”