[Release] Scattered Evil for Hexen 2.4 (Oct 9, 2023)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Ultimate DooMer

Re: Korax' Heritage: Scattered Evil 1.0 Released

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Toyoch wrote:So far I am level 25 Mage, with 100+ INT. The second weapon became too powerful and with the Create Mana spell it's kind of unstoppable.
I've not played it yet (waiting for fixes), but I do recall INT being like that in later versions of KMod...and I always thought that permanently increasing ranged damage would be too OP (as there's no trade-off like with melee damage), so Serpent got mana capacity as a 2nd magical stat instead.
rambo

Post by rambo »

If this becomes an issue, we could modify the weapon(s) in question similar to the mage's Thunderstaff which while it scales with strength, gets a lot of its damage from a fixed base value, meaning a mage with strength 2 vs a mage with strength 20 won't have a 1:10 damage difference, more like 1:2 or so.

But my question to Toyoch wasn't academic, we do have a number of enemies and situations in certain key locations where you need a healthy amount of health to survive, as there are many missiles, some of them homing, and not much cover.
rambo

Post by rambo »

Quick update: using the latest internal beta build of Scattered Evil 1.1, I've just finished testing all reported cases of crashes when trying to return to a map, this particular issue seems to be fixed for good.
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

rambo wrote:Aren't you very squishy though? What do you do when you have enemies that blur evade or turn invulnerable for a time, or hide underwater?

As for Iarmusc Dungeons, in the room with the throne face the throne and look at the wall segment to the right behind the throne.
At first Mages are indeed weak, so I raised to 40 CON, now I have like 650 health to withstand from weaker attacks. and I carry 80+ Flasks to heal whenever I need.
When I battle against Ettins or Serpents with exploding projectiles(they really hurt!), I usually quicksave before fight and pray they don't shoot that often.
In cases of difficult areas, I can just use Icons of Defender.
Spoiler:
rambo

Post by rambo »

Due to the scripted nature of dungeons, it's a bad idea to try to skip ahead, you could end up with a broken quest.
Spoiler:
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

rambo wrote:Due to the scripted nature of dungeons, it's a bad idea to try to skip ahead, you could end up with a broken quest.
Spoiler:
Found the key at last! Thanks!

Note to self : Never spam the mage's 4th weapon too randomly, as re-entering levels that still have their projectiles(without targets?) seem to cause an error.
(copy pasted from debug.txt)
Spoiler:
The Chuxen part is too complex and I am lost now. Here's what I have done so far and I'm in need of help.
Spoiler:
rambo

Post by rambo »

The portal in the garden leads to the last map of the hub and the stone door opens when finding the 5 puzzle switches.
Spoiler:
I found a few issues with the hub that should be fixed for the next release. Also, given the overall complexity, the quest rewarding the ultimate spell of the cleric and mage won't require finishing the hub, only a small part of it.
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

rambo wrote:
Spoiler:
I think that was the last progress I made. The new portal led me to the starting point of the Metal Area. If I can reach all the 5 puzzle switches at this point, would you please give me clues for each switches?

EDIT : I gave up on the Chuxen and killed Corax. my final stats are:
Level 49 - STR 10 - CON 59 - DEX 10 - INT 130 - WIS 49 - CHA 139
Had 2500+ gold but didn't spent on anything. I had almost every consumables at their cap.
All except Chuxen, Legion's corrupted fortress(that dungeon thing, but I did it in last run), Merchant's second quest(done in last run) quest are completed.

Will do a re-run as Cleric once the patch is out.
rambo

Post by rambo »

I've made a number of fixes to this hub. For the current 1.0 release, my recommendation is that once you get stuck, return to the first map, use the portal to get back to the canyon, and use the cheat "gimme weapons" to give yourself the ultimate spell.

For 1.1, besides the fixes, I'll make this hub a side-side-quest by providing a huge level boost (20? 30?) but no weapons/spells, equal for all classes. The ultimate cleric/mage spells will come from a new quest leading to a significantly easier dungeon (puzzle wise, not enemy wise).
rambo

Re: Korax' Heritage: Scattered Evil

Post by rambo »

Scattered Evil 1.1 can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/korax/ ... p/download or http://www.moddb.com/mods/scattered-evi ... ed-evil-11
se11shot05.jpg
New features and bugfixes:
  • Engine updates:
    • Major changes to the OpenGL rendering engine. In general, it should improve performance and add new features, but might have introduced new issues. Feel free to submit a report using our Bug Tracker.
    • Scattered Evil now requires Windows 7 or later and a CPU that supports the SSE2 instruction set (32-bit or 64-bit OS both work fine).
  • Bugfixes:
    • Fix for the vast majority of reported crashes in the 1.0 release.
    • The Frozen Court is now bug free. What's more, all traps are now fully functional.
    • The Chuxen hub is now fully accessible without flying.
    • Corrected the offsets for several weapons (most notably the cleric's Morning Star).
  • Monster improvements:
    • Significant improvements to Death Wyvern AI.
    • New look for Lava Dwellers.
    • Magma Serpents, Flame Centaurs, Afrit Leaders and Afrit Martyrs are now visibly different from their brethren.
  • Gameplay improvements:
    • New fighter trainer in Thystes Fortress (second floor of the great hall).
    • New quest in Ocadia (upstairs in the newly open mage tower) for obtaining the ultimate offensive spell for cleric and mage in a different location that has no puzzles but a tough fight instead.
    • Mastering all the puzzles of Chuxen now rewards a large number of player levels for all classes.
    • Added further treasure to some of the tougher dungeons to make them more worthwile.
  • Miscellaneous improvements:
    • Menu sounds are back in.
    • Moving between journal pages now always has an accompanying sound.
    • New distinct sound to alert the player to the fact that he just leveled up.
    • Silver and gold bars are now 3D models and can be stacked, so keep an eye out for Jenga-style treasure collections.
    • Several models have been improved and some models newly have animated flames.
se11shot03.jpg
For more information, see http://www.korax-heritage.com
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Release] Korax' Heritage: Scattered Evil

Post by Firebrand »

We are still working on improvements and a 1.2 version will be released in the future, but please continue posting bugs you find on the maps or with gameplay issues, those will be investigated and corrected as possible, thank you and enjoy the MOD! :D
The Ultimate DooMer

I've reported mine to the bug tracker (having been mystified as to where they vanished to on here, but eventually finding out later).

But even though I'm only onto the 2nd Hexquake map (having been nowhere else except the start cave), I'm already in a situation where I have 50 quartz flasks and a spammable healing spell...surely a bit OP? (skill 4)
rambo

Post by rambo »

Throughout most of the beta phase, those dungeons were significantly more difficult, having fewer crystal vials and artifacts but harder enemies, including several Magma Serpents. Their difficulty has been vastly reduced due to tester feedback, especially since up to about a week before the final 1.0 release, you had to fight through all of Darkbough, Deepbough and The Golden Lair to finish the first legion quest and receive your third weapon (i.e. no ranged weapon for two of the three classes before finishing three dungeon maps).

Also, the newly introduced AI issue in 1.1 might reduce the difficulty, you can get free shots at monsters right now.

p.s. Regarding your previous question in the other thread, more than half of the dungeon maps are third party, see the game subfolder "additional_credits".
The Ultimate DooMer

Just played through the Golden Lair (map 04) and wondered why some bits of the map didn't seem to work properly...the answer lies here:
ACS_Execute(5, 1, 25, 128, 10);
There's a few scripts like this, running on the current map but with the map number included. (a lot of early vanilla maps did this, and it was a royal PITA when making episodes out of them)

Edit: I've looked through all of the scripts with SLumpED and map 82 has the same issue.
rambo wrote:Throughout most of the beta phase, those dungeons were significantly more difficult, having fewer crystal vials and artifacts but harder enemies, including several Magma Serpents. Their difficulty has been vastly reduced due to tester feedback, especially since up to about a week before the final 1.0 release, you had to fight through all of Darkbough, Deepbough and The Golden Lair to finish the first legion quest and receive your third weapon (i.e. no ranged weapon for two of the three classes before finishing three dungeon maps).
The only difficult rooms I found in those three maps are - the room with the Wraithverge centaur (which you can beat with the Icon found in the same map), the outdoor room with the death wyvern (who can be evaded, as you only need the switch) and the treasure room with the Quietus ettin (again, there's an Icon in the same map). Therefore ranged weapons aren't really needed, except for the death wyvern at the start of the Golden Lair. (who could be removed or confined to the opening area)

IMO it would be fine to re-introduce the requirement to clear them for weapon 3, and reduce the item count as well (unless ofc the game has been balanced around having lots of stuff). It seems like a dead-end quest atm (the Legion guy says nothing after you clear out the Lair), and will probably only serve to make things too easy by giving you a huge collection of flasks and powerups. (unless the above point is true)
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

I got this error on Windows 10 64 bit

I think it's because the default vavoom resolution is too smal for my graphic card, could it be? How could I fix that? Thanky you! :)

EDIT: Solved putting the Windows compatibility to Windows XP SP3

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”